Sign in to follow this  
Guest Brookew

Help!! Advice desperately needed!

Guest Brookew

Hi all,

I know you've probably answered these questions a million times but I need assistance as I'm really struggling! :(

my my partner is from the UK and we are looking to move him out here for approximately 1 or more with the ability to work. We both have no idea where to start and are finding it confusing so any assistance would help!

The below is what we need help for -

1. Visa application.

- What one is correct or the best?

- is the 457 the best one and what does the process entail?

- any good websites or agencies to assist?

- how do we get the ball rolling?

- what visas would only allow to do a visa once but nothing else once it's expired?

2. Jobs.

- does the 457 visa require a employer as a sponsor and not a regular sponsor aka me?

- places/companies where they are willing to sponsor or someone on a visa?

- how do we start looking at jobs to apply for, can we apply for them overseas.

3. moving.

- Good removalists?

Edited by snifter
    removed broken tags

OK a few things as the 457 might be the worst one to apply for. And would be dependant on his having the correct skills/experience etc to gain this or other visas.

I take it from your post you are resident in Australia. Are you an Aus citizen or PR? Are you a de facto couple for a year or more? If so, do you have decent supporting evidence of this?

Is your partner under 31 and has he ever made use of the WHV?

The 4 year temp visa is probably the least favourite option as it ties you to an employer and you are at their mercy (should it turn out to be a horrible job or employer).

If your partner has a qualification or skills Australia (more importantly SA) needs, then a PR visa would be where I would be looking. Check the visa wizard on the immi site. Or if you qualify for a partner visa then he could apply for this. Its not cheap, something like $6,000 or so and off shore currently takes 10-14 month to process. On shore is 12-15 months and costs the same iirc. He'd have full work rights if he applied for it onshore while awaiting a decision. However, given the expense I'd only go the partner visa route if the other ones are not options.

Until you know if he can even qualify for a work related visa I'd hold fire on the rest :)

Guest Brookew

Thank you soo much for responding! I'm very new to this so I apologise for lack of information!

I am a resident and citizen and willing to sponsor if needed. We are but defacto unforunately.

he has never had an Australian visa either :)

im not sure his skills are in demand so that makes it difficult!

Ill try the visa wizard but I find the website how to figure out and not set out well :)

Thank you so much

OK a few things as the 457 might be the worst one to apply for. And would be dependant on his having the correct skills/experience etc to gain this or other visas.

I take it from your post you are resident in Australia. Are you an Aus citizen or PR? Are you a de facto couple for a year or more? If so, do you have decent supporting evidence of this?

Is your partner under 31 and has he ever made use of the WHV?

The 4 year temp visa is probably the least favourite option as it ties you to an employer and you are at their mercy (should it turn out to be a horrible job or employer).

If your partner has a qualification or skills Australia (more importantly SA) needs, then a PR visa would be where I would be looking. Check the visa wizard on the immi site. Or if you qualify for a partner visa then he could apply for this. Its not cheap, something like $6,000 or so and off shore currently takes 10-14 month to process. On shore is 12-15 months and costs the same iirc. He'd have full work rights if he applied for it onshore while awaiting a decision. However, given the expense I'd only go the partner visa route if the other ones are not options.

Until you know if he can even qualify for a work related visa I'd hold fire on the rest :)

How old is he? As said, if under 31 he could get a WHV for a year. And do 3 months regional work early on to gain a second year should he then wish to extend.

De facto doesn't mean he couldn't apply for a partner visa but the requirements are pretty strict in terms of actual de facto, not just long distance dating or dating. Plus its expensive.

Guest Brookew

Thank you!!

He is 25 :)

We are looking at visas that won't block us if we need him to extend!

Thank you!!

He is 25 :)

We are looking at visas that won't block us if we need him to extend!

Options are limited unless he has a skill or trade he can get a visa on.

Right now, given your de facto status is unclear and assuming he can't get a SS or 457 etc, I'd look into the WHV.

https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/417-

It is a one year visa and a second year can be gained if he does 3 months regional work (all of SA is classed as regional btw, but the type of work is specific but easy enough to find in fruit picking etc). It means only 6 months maximum with one employer. If the 3 months regional work is gained and signed off for it will extend the visa and give him another year.

If you are living together then for 12 months you could then lodge a de facto visa application on shore. He would remain while a decision is made on this. Currently that takes 12-15 months. He'e have full work rights then iirc.

Guest Brookew

Snifter - you've been so helpful and put me at ease. We aren't de facto unfortunately. Thank you so much!

Snifter - you've been so helpful and put me at ease. We aren't de facto unfortunately. Thank you so much!

Not a problem.

Please make sure he reads the WHV info and is eligible to apply. I think given what you've said so far it might be a good option (if not the only one). The de facto requirements are strict and you do need to be as man and wife (without the marriage cert). So joint expenses, sharing a life together as a couple, named in each others wills or life insurance, those sorts of things showing the level of commitment is there rather than just dating as BF and GF.

If you did live together as de facto, it would be good if he could be named on the lease (if you rent) and that you either have a joint bank account with funds from you both going in and out or your own accounts where it can be shown funds went between you both (to pay bills or some such for example). You need to cover the 12 months before applying is the key thing (if doing this on a WHV then the second year would be good to gain as it gives you more time to gather evidence and live together etc before you lodge rather than cutting it fine).