Cheap Parent Visas Part I

Hi Mildygiral

You are absolutely correct. I should have said that you have to provide the name of your sponsor not provide assurance of support. In my case our sponsor is the same person (our daughter) who will provide the assurance. She had to fill in form 40 which is here. In the preamble this form says among other things

"Sponsors should consider not only the Visa Application

Charges, the Assurance of Support (AoS) and their

sponsorship obligations, but also the ongoing longer term

impact and cost of sponsoring a person to migrate and of

supporting them. Sponsors should discuss the impact of

sponsorship on their family and think carefully about whether

they are able and willing to provide this support before they

undertake the sponsorship. Sponsors should also talk to their

relatives about the costs of living in Australia and work out

how much assistance they might need."

This had be confused about the difference between the sponsor and the person providing the AoS. As I say, in my case they are one and the same person but possibly they could be different people. In any case the support itself does not have to be provided until the last stage of the process and I apolgize if I caused confusion

Regards

John

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mildygirl

That's ok, John! I did panic for a while, but it was just an innocent and totally understandable slip of the 'pen!' Our children will provide the AoS, and we shall provide any bond, and every scrap of her day to day care, support, upkeep, all her daily living expenses and of course keep a comfortable roof over her head. I imagine the AoS is a Catch 22 for a good few people in our position who are already retired (and have insuficient annual income to satisfy Centrelink) when they sponsor very elderly relatives and therefore involve other close family members to set up the AoS. Thank you for all your valuable help and support. Kindest regards to you.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Wakiedonnies

Hi

My parents will be applying for the 804 next week, but are having a real problem getting my brother to supply them with a certified copy of his passport.

i'm wondering if this will be a huge problem if the forms are sent in without this? Obviously they would send in an explanitory letter saying why they they cant send it, but do you think that it would be an acceptable and valid reason to put it down to non-cooperation by him?

any thoughts on this are very welcome :)

chris

Hi

My parents will be applying for the 804 next week, but are having a real problem getting my brother to supply them with a certified copy of his passport.

i'm wondering if this will be a huge problem if the forms are sent in without this? Obviously they would send in an explanitory letter saying why they they cant send it, but do you think that it would be an acceptable and valid reason to put it down to non-cooperation by him?

any thoughts on this are very welcome :)

chris

Hi Chris.

Will you be the sponsor? If so, it is quite likely that your brother's passport won't be needed. His birth certificate (showing the name of both parents) and evidence of where he is usually residing probably will though.

Best regards.

Guest Wakiedonnies
Hi Chris.

Will you be the sponsor? If so, it is quite likely that your brother's passport won't be needed. His birth certificate (showing the name of both parents) and evidence of where he is usually residing probably will though.

Best regards.

Hi

Thanks for taking the time to reply Alan.

So that's great news for them, as they were getting a little worried over it.

Chris

Hi Chris

Please forgive me for butting in. I just want to confirm that Alan Collett is right.

My late mother had a Contributory Parent Visa. My Aussie sister was the sponsor. I live in the UK. Mum was British.

For the purposes of the Balance of Family Test, Mum's only children were my Aussie sister and I.

I assembled the documents for Mum's CPV application, so the error was my fault. I included a certified copy of my birth certificate but I forgot to include a copy of my passport or any evidence about my own place of residence. I realised my error at the very last minute -just before I sent the bundle of documents off to DIAC in Australia.

I decided that it would not matter. DIAC would assume that I lived in my mother's country of origin - the UK - and, as it happens, I do. If they wanted a copy of my passport, DIAC would ask for it later, I reasoned.

In the end, DIAC asked no questions about me at all and they did not ask for a copy of my passport.

Cheers

Gill

Hi Gill

Still here in the background benefitting from this thread. Thank you all so much, JBS who is a perfect mine of info. Have luckily been able to sell our house and downsize to a flat. This was due to happen regardless of any other matters. We are beavering away preparing for our long holiday with the family! Hopefully further along the line we will have something positive to contribute.

So sorry Gill to see you refer to your Mum as your late Mum.

Kindest regards

Linda

Guest Wakiedonnies
Hi Chris

Please forgive me for butting in. I just want to confirm that Alan Collett is right.

My late mother had a Contributory Parent Visa. My Aussie sister was the sponsor. I live in the UK. Mum was British.

For the purposes of the Balance of Family Test, Mum's only children were my Aussie sister and I.

I assembled the documents for Mum's CPV application, so the error was my fault. I included a certified copy of my birth certificate but I forgot to include a copy of my passport or any evidence about my own place of residence. I realised my error at the very last minute -just before I sent the bundle of documents off to DIAC in Australia.

I decided that it would not matter. DIAC would assume that I lived in my mother's country of origin - the UK - and, as it happens, I do. If they wanted a copy of my passport, DIAC would ask for it later, I reasoned.

In the end, DIAC asked no questions about me at all and they did not ask for a copy of my passport.

Cheers

Gill

Hi Gill

Thank you also for responding. I have read all your posts, once, twice and thrice, as we couldn't believe that we would be able to get my mum and dad over here to join us without paying the vast sum of hard earned cash that we thought they would have to part with. That is, until we read your fantastic post, that, I'm sure has been read by thousands.

My brother had managed to send over evidence of his residency in the Uk ( though why he wouldn't send a certified copy of his passport is beyond me ) , and all documents have been submitted.

We now wait with baited breath for a response from DIAC to let us know that all is well, and that our tentative plans for the future can commence.

So Gill, you've been our inspiration when we thought they'd never be able to make the move, and I thank you once again from us all.

Kind regards

Chris and family xxx

Guest Wakiedonnies

Hi all

So the forms for the 804 have been sent, an acknowledgment has been received, so what happens next?

The folks have been jumping out at the postman, and jumping on the internet every 2 mins just in case they might miss something!

Regards

Chris

Hi all

So the forms for the 804 have been sent, an acknowledgment has been received, so what happens next?

The folks have been jumping out at the postman, and jumping on the internet every 2 mins just in case they might miss something!

Regards

Chris

Hi Chris

Biting the postman won't help! DIAC will communicate electronically if they can. Unlike the British Govt, the Aussie Govt seem to realise that vandalising the rain forests in order to make paper is undesirable and unnecessary.

The only relevant person I whom I "know"is a man called johnbshepherd, who has made several posts on this thread. It seems to take ages before people like your Parents will hear from DIAC again. Re-read John's posts, I would suggest.

Meanwhile, maybe, suggest to your Parents to leave the postman alone?!

Cheers

Gill

Hi Chris

Biting the postman won't help! DIAC will communicate electronically if they can. Unlike the British Govt, the Aussie Govt seem to realise that vandalising the rain forests in order to make paper is undesirable and unnecessary.

The only relevant person I whom I "know"is a man called johnbshepherd, who has made several posts on this thread. It seems to take ages before people like your Parents will hear from DIAC again. Re-read John's posts, I would suggest.

Meanwhile, maybe, suggest to your Parents to leave the postman alone?!

Cheers

Gill

+1

Your parents are unlikely to hear from the PVC for about 18 months to 2 years, based on current experiences.

Have a read of the acknowledgment letter as well.

Best regards.

I'm sorry but I can't add anything to what Gill and Alan Collet have already said. Once you have the acknowledgement of your application you are unlikely to hear anything else for at least two years. Your acknowledgement should say that your parents have been granted a bridging visa A which will allow them to stay in Australia until the next stage is reached. The next stage will require medical tests. At the moment the queue for medical tests seems to be about 2-3 years long so you could say that your parents are in the queue to get into the real queue. Once the medical tests are passed you will eventually get a letter (snail mail!!) headed "Notice of Allocation of Queue Date" or something similar. They will then be in in the real queue which at the moment is about 7-8 years long.

The good news is that if your parents are already in Australia they will be able to stay here at least until the medical tests. If they are British they are also immediately entitled to a Medicare card under the Reciprocal Health Care Agreement with the UK. If they need to go back to the UK for a visit it is possible but difficult. They need to apply for a bridging visa B which will allow them to leave Oz for short periods. After the medicals they can stay here until their application is settled once and for all. There are a few other wrinkles so just ask if anything isn't clear

Cheers

John

Hi Gill

Thank you also for responding. I have read all your posts, once, twice and thrice, as we couldn't believe that we would be able to get my mum and dad over here to join us without paying the vast sum of hard earned cash that we thought they would have to part with. That is, until we read your fantastic post, that, I'm sure has been read by thousands.

My brother had managed to send over evidence of his residency in the Uk ( though why he wouldn't send a certified copy of his passport is beyond me ) , and all documents have been submitted.

We now wait with baited breath for a response from DIAC to let us know that all is well, and that our tentative plans for the future can commence.

So Gill, you've been our inspiration when we thought they'd never be able to make the move, and I thank you once again from us all.

Kind regards

Chris and family xxx

Edited by johnbshepherd

Guest mildygirl
Hi all

Regards

Chris

Hi,

As Alan Collett, Gill and John have said, your parents can stop leaping on the postman each day and settle down to a comfortable year or two (or more) without hearing anything else from the Powers That Be.

Our timeline is pretty recent - mother in law's application was submitted in August/September 2010. A few days before Christmas 2012 was the first communication she had with them, after 2 years and 4 months of silence - her instructions to obtain police checks and arrange her medical plus a few bits and pieces. She was given four weeks from their posting date to get everything arranged and to have at least booked the medical and sent off for the police checks (the most time consuming matter being getting the police check from the UK which have only just arrived). Everything except that was done by the required date of 4th January, so we are waiting now to know whether they need more medical information or whether she will get the coveted 'queue letter.'

Tell them to leave the dog to worry about the postman, while they settle back and enjoy being here.

Cheers!

Guest Wakiedonnies

Hi Gill, Alan, John and Mildygirl

Thank you all for taking the time to reply, once again.

I didn't make it clear, that the acknowledgment I was talking about was purley and e-mail from Diac to say that they had forgotton to sign something on their application, so technically, they havn't really received an acknowledgment.

But all has become much clearer, and they've stopped harrassing the postie :)

Chris

quote_icon.png Originally Posted by adelaideinjuly viewpost-right.png

can you shed some light on the new extended visit visa for parents , fees & requirements

Maybe you mean this one. I'm copying from an earlier post

Longer Tourist visas for parents of Australians

From 24 November 2012, parents of Australian citizens and permanent residents will be able to apply for Tourist visas to visit Australia for longer.

The department will grant on a case-by-case basis:

• Tourist visas of up to five years validity which provide a stay of up to 12 months on each entry to those parents who are outside Australia and are in the Parent (subclass 103) visa queue.
  • Tourist visas of up to three years validity with 12 months stay on each entry will be considered for parents who are outside Australia and are not in the Parent visa queue.

These changes allow parents who meet the criteria for a Tourist visa to have regular extended visits with their family in Australia without needing to apply for a new visa on each visit.

Under these more flexible arrangements, in addition to meeting all other Tourist visa requirements, parents will be expected to hold health insurance to cover any healthcare costs during their stay and will have a visa condition limiting applications for further visas while they are in Australia.

Like all tourists, parents granted Tourist visas are expected to maintain extended periods of absence between visits to Australia.

See: About This Visa

Full details are here.

It mentions health care but in the small print it says that people from RHCA countries (e.g. UK) are covered by that.

Edited by johnbshepherd

• 3 weeks later...
Guest miraclebabycaw

Does anyone know how long it would take to "deny" an application for an 804 aged parent on shore visa due to you not meeting the criteria of having been resident for 2 years before the application? We took some possibly "bad" advice from an immigration lawyer who I can't get hold of again and need to lodge for my mom but have not been resident for the required 2 years (in fact well short...that's a whole other story). The advice I was given that because it was in country we could lodge an appeal to the tribunal which would take a while..all in our favour as we did not know if she would pass the medical test. We were under the impression it would take at least 2 years for them even to look at it but from what we have heard recently they will reject very quickly if we don't have the 2 years in? Anyone have any ideas? If so we need to make other plans as my mom is totally dependant on us, has no money of her own, gets a 1/4 UK pension as she has been out of the UK for 50 years and will probably keel over and peg on the spot if I tell her she needs to go back to the UK for a year before we can even lodge the application as she knows no one at all there anymore and is 75 years old

edited to add: Who is the best immigration attorney for Parental visas that I could get advice from?

Thanks

Pretty late in the day I know but I finally found out the breakdown of numbers for parent and aged parent visas for 2012-13

In the 2012–13 Migration Program year:

• 2150 places will be allocated to Parent (non-contributory) visas, including approximately 1600 places for Parent (subclass 103) visas and approximately 550 places for Aged Parent (subclass 804) visas.

So there has been an increase in 804 numbers by about 10% over the previous year.

Cheers

John

Hi Freesia

What we don't know, as yet, is how many of these 150 extra places will go into the "pot" for the offshore Parent 103 visa and how many will be allocated to the onshore Aged Parent 804 visa instead. Even though 150 is a TINY number compared to the size of the official Queues for both visas, I think we should all be very grateful indeed that the Parents Visa Centre have managed to do anything at all to help the situation.

I think that, in his post, JBS was asking me whether I know the breakdown between these two visas? As yet, I don't but I am hoping that JBS might be able to find out.

Gill

• 1 month later...

Forget this reply I'm afraid. DIAC seems to have changed its mind. See

http://www.immi.gov.au/visas/visitor/600/applicants.htm

The 679 visa has been suspended with effect from March 23 2013 along with a lot of other visitor's visas. It seems to have been replaced with a more restricted visa which requires the posting of a bond.

From now on the visa will have 3 extra visa conditions:

• Maximum 12 month stay in 18 months: You cannot stay in Australia for more than 12 months on any visit or for more than 12 months in any 18-month period.
  • Health insurance: You must maintain fully comprehensive health insurance while you are in Australia. You could be asked to provide evidence of 12 months health insurance cover when you apply. Reciprocal health arrangements are not adequate to meet this requirement.
  • No further stay: You cannot apply for a new visa while you are in Australia. You must leave Australia no later than the date on which your visa ends, except in extremely limited circumstances.

There is also a bond of between $5,000 and $15,000 which your sponsor may have to put up

quote_icon.png Originally Posted by adelaideinjuly viewpost-right.png

can you shed some light on the new extended visit visa for parents , fees & requirements

Maybe you mean this one. I'm copying from an earlier post

Longer Tourist visas for parents of Australians

From 24 November 2012, parents of Australian citizens and permanent residents will be able to apply for Tourist visas to visit Australia for longer.

The department will grant on a case-by-case basis:

• Tourist visas of up to five years validity which provide a stay of up to 12 months on each entry to those parents who are outside Australia and are in the Parent (subclass 103) visa queue.
  • Tourist visas of up to three years validity with 12 months stay on each entry will be considered for parents who are outside Australia and are not in the Parent visa queue.

These changes allow parents who meet the criteria for a Tourist visa to have regular extended visits with their family in Australia without needing to apply for a new visa on each visit.

Under these more flexible arrangements, in addition to meeting all other Tourist visa requirements, parents will be expected to hold health insurance to cover any healthcare costs during their stay and will have a visa condition limiting applications for further visas while they are in Australia.

Like all tourists, parents granted Tourist visas are expected to maintain extended periods of absence between visits to Australia.

See: About This Visa

Full details are here.

It mentions health care but in the small print it says that people from RHCA countries (e.g. UK) are covered by that.

Edited by johnbshepherd
new information

Guest mildygirl
Hi,

As Alan Collett, Gill and John have said, your parents can stop leaping on the postman each day and settle down to a comfortable year or two (or more) without hearing anything else from the Powers That Be.

Our timeline is pretty recent - mother in law's application was submitted in August/September 2010. A few days before Christmas 2012 was the first communication she had with them, after 2 years and 4 months of silence - her instructions to obtain police checks and arrange her medical plus a few bits and pieces. She was given four weeks from their posting date to get everything arranged and to have at least booked the medical and sent off for the police checks (the most time consuming matter being getting the police check from the UK which have only just arrived). Everything except that was done by the required date of 4th January, so we are waiting now to know whether they need more medical information or whether she will get the coveted 'queue letter.'

Thought it might be of interest to those waiting in the 804 queue who are still in limbo without even having been required to submit medicals and police checks. Further to the above, mother in law (who is now 90 and pretty sprightly) went for her medical right after Christmas and was found to have 'mild diffusive cardiomegaly' - technically all four chambers of the heart are slightly enlarged. The GP says 'it's nothing', and simply means that at some point in the past she had undiagnosed high BP, but because she is on medication (a very low dose drug that maintains her BP without any problems) it won't cause a problem, added to which she is hardly a spring chicken. However, the powers that be decided that they wanted more tests, so five weeks ago she had to report for an echocardiogram. We presume (trust!) that the results were sent straight to DIAC as we've heard nothing. The sonographer told her that it was 'all good' but if you have an anxious nonogenarian in front of you, then you probably would say that I guess. But we understand from our agent that it will be up to 12 weeks for any further communication from them - so clearly this is yet another example of the long drawn out process we (she) has to go through. All we can do is hope for the best - her medication is not expensive, and even supposing there was any treatment other than that, she's hardly a candidate for a heart transplant or any other medical intervention at her age, so we just hope that she falls within the costs governing whether she is acceptable on medical grounds. I'll update on what the next step is, when it happens in the hope it is of interest and guidance to others waiting for medicals.

Thank you for this great article im not an aged parent but im 55 which seems old for all the visas offered and i do not have the money to buy myself in. Im a qualified teacher and a working artist but because of my age im stuck. My son has PR and my grand daughter needs her Nanna so will visit the DIAC in Adelaide in August as the whole imigation thing seems so complicated......j

Hello Gill, JBS and everyone else

I was thrown into a blind panic this morning about the visa changes, in particular the removal of the e visitor 976.

However after reading through carefully I think that the new sub class 601 will do the same job with regard to the possibility of applying for a further visa on shore as it does not carry a 'no further stay' condition.

Has anyone looked at the changes and if so does anyone agree with me?

In great need of your expertise!

linda

I agree that the 601 visa seems to be a direct replacement for the old 976 ETA. Very large numbers of people use the ETA when visiting Australia and there is no reason why it should be changed.

Hello Gill, JBS and everyone else

I was thrown into a blind panic this morning about the visa changes, in particular the removal of the e visitor 976.

However after reading through carefully I think that the new sub class 601 will do the same job with regard to the possibility of applying for a further visa on shore as it does not carry a 'no further stay' condition.

Has anyone looked at the changes and if so does anyone agree with me?

In great need of your expertise!

linda

Guest Paula H

Hi all

apologies for jumping on this thread but I was wondering if someone could advise me. Basically the balance of our family is in the uk so we can't sponsor my parents and they aren't well off enough for a investment visa, so that's them permanently movin here out of the question, they (& we) are gutted.

Now could they do 9 months here & 3months in the UK? Can they buy out here if they aren't residents?

We are really at a loss :(

Hi all

apologies for jumping on this thread but I was wondering if someone could advise me. Basically the balance of our family is in the uk so we can't sponsor my parents and they aren't well off enough for a investment visa, so that's them permanently movin here out of the question, they (& we) are gutted.

Now could they do 9 months here & 3months in the UK? Can they buy out here if they aren't residents?

We are really at a loss :(

I have read of parents doing 6 months in Aus, 6 in the UK. I think there is some kind of longer stay visa for people visiting family but am not sure of the conditions or term they can remain in Aus. Reading about that visa it is possible they could do up to 12 months but then be expected to be out of Aus for 6 months.

These are the visa options.

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/tourist/visa-options.htm

This one is probably the one they would want.

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/tourist/676/

They would need full health insurance also obviously (and throw in dental and ambulance cover probably).

As for buying, I don't think so but it may be possible, someone might know if it is. I'd say your best bet if you intend to remain long term is to consider buying a house with a separate rumpus room/annexe (or scope to build one) suitable for them to live in without being under your feet too much or that you rent a property for them, or they rent if its possible. I'm not sure if they can rent on a tourist visa but you can find that out easy enough with a couple of phone calls to decent real estate agents I would figure. And find out if you could rent and list them on the lease as tenants, that sort of thing.

My parents have no desire to move to Aus once we are settled (nor do I really want them, its not a place they would really enjoy long term knowing them as I do and they are happy in the UK) but we plan to have a house with a self contained rumpus room (a bed sitter room at least and hopefully a loo but a bit bigger if we can find one) so they can come over and spend a couple of months with relative ease and have their independence. I think a couple of months a year will be more than enough for them although my mother has said she may come over and do another month on her own.