Rammygirl

Where to buy haggis?

Ok planning a Burns night do and need a good haggis. Anyone recommend somewhere to get one from. I live in Norwood but will drive out within reason!

Ok planning a Burns night do and need a good haggis. Anyone recommend somewhere to get one from. I live in Norwood but will drive out within reason!

Hi Feast in central market do them.

Being Scottish we have a burns night Ceilidh every year.

We always get a Chieftain from them every year,call to ask them to get you one beforehand.

Lots of whiskey and a day off to recover.

SWMBO

def. Central Market, may be Feast (Norwood) as well

do you need anyone to play the pipes?

JB

Will just be screening u tube I'm afraid. I am not Scottish but OH is half. Will be sampling a few whiskies though.

Hi Feast in central market do them.

Being Scottish we have a burns night Ceilidh every year.

We always get a Chieftain from them every year,call to ask them to get you one beforehand.

Lots of whiskey and a day off to recover.

SWMBO

thanks for this. Not sure what I am cooking just yet but it will involve a haggis. In the past I have stuffed pheasant with haggis, delicious!

A great way to do as well is to flatten chicken breast lay on Prosciuttio and use Haggis as a stuffing. Serve with a whiskey cream sauce.

SWMBO

Got the haggis at Feast inNorwood thanks for the tip. Was bloody expensive though! Still big enough to make extras with like samosas and haggis balls for canapés. I love left over haggis made into patties and fried with eggs too.

Evening all,

UK Foods is the main producer of Scottish foods in Adelaide so you shouldn't need to travel far to find haggis and other products. The items are, for the most part, manufactured at Wingfield and should be charging a premium (although haggis will often be charged on weight, due to size differences). An average size haggis (6'' or so) should be around $7-8.

http://www.ukfoods.com.au/ - head to the store locator section to see where you can buy. Try smaller stores as they'll have less of a rush on. However, be aware that long standing Scottish communities might have got in early (esp in the Northern Suburbs).

Hope this helps.

Quick update -

I wanted to say (because I couldn't edit) that there shouldn't be a premium on haggis. Also, I just picked mine up for $6 ($20kg). Ingle Farm Gourmet Deli has about 5 left that I saw. They're locally made by the Scottish butcher (I'd say the one from Semaphore). I've attached a photo. It's about 10cm long by 7cm thick. Just enough if you want haggis without feeling bad if you'd rather eat something else!

haggis.jpg

Yeah the stomach lining is a lot thinner on our one but considering the cost and that most of us really don't like it, we'll take it for the $6 and have at it :)