Clock repairs

flossybeth

I bought a clock from an op shop a few months ago and it hasn't worked since I got it home! It only cost $12 but it took me ages to find the 'right' clock to go in the space, so it's been hanging on the wall showing the wrong time - it has bursts where it ticks along but mostly it's just silent. It's only a battery mechanism but watch repairers won't help and I'm afraid if I take it to a clock maker they'll charge far more than I'd like to pay (maybe that's the trouble :) ) so does anyone have any ideas or do I just need to keep looking for a replacement.

Could you find a new replacement mechanism for the back and replace the present one. I know you can buy them to make clocks from things like hubcaps and pieces of wood, just don't know where.

That might be a really good idea.

You can buy a selection of clocks from the stores and maybe change the mechanism.

If it's more involved then am at a loss.

When I lived overseas we had a watchmakers shop nearby. The bloke was in his 80's and is apprentice was at least 50! I called in there a couple of years ago when on holiday and had him repair a watch band, a seiko battery and pressureization and a watch that was running slow (actually took them with all me). The whole lot was less than $20!

If anyone knows of someone like that here it would be great to share.

Off the subject but on the subject of sharing good info...I was at Dimitris in Christies Beach this morning...old fashioned service from a dressmaker / alterations / etc...just like the sort of service that you are looking for with your clock!

There must be someone out there. I had a shower dish that broke off and the tile place gave me the number of a retired tiler...$80 and it was fixed...that sort of service.

There was a leather lounge suite repairer who I found on this site who also did a couple of repairs for me...

Hope that you find someone.:smile: