Childcare Costs

Matt796

Hi.

My partner and I were wondering what the average costs are for child care. We have one chikd who will be at Primary School but a baby of about 10-12 months and wondered what the average costs are and what the childcare provisions are like in Adelaide and the surrounding suburbs.

Many thanks

I'm not sure about the costs for nursery but for school aged children lots of schools provide out of school hours care. The one my kids went to charged $19 for after school and either $43 or $50 a day for school holidays depending on wether it was a home day or excursion day. They also provide before school care but we didn't use it. There are quite a few nurseries around but some may have waiting lists. There are also family day care providers who are like childminders in the UK.

If you will be here on a PR visa then you will be eligible for the childcare rebate where you get 50% of your costs refunded. You may also get childcare benefit if you are earning below a certain amount.

Yes it will be a rsms 187 permanent visa. It's the baby we will require a childminder service for so if anyone knows any etc then please let me know. Also is there an age limit for the rebate? Here it's the 15 hours free once they get to 3 years.old.

No, no age limit, although childcare services usually only cover primary school aged children (up to year 7 here, about age 12). You do have to apply for childcare benefit to get the rebate, even if you know you would not be eligible for childcare benefit. UI'm pretty sure one of the members on here is a family daycare provider, but I can't remember her user ID. You would need to have an idea of where you were going to live or work before you could find someone though as you would want someone near home or work to avoid extra travel.

Child care is so expensive. Our costs are $500 a week for a full time place, we get the rebate which everyone is entitled too, so we pay $250 or $1000 a month as our out of pocket costs. You may get some child care benefit which bring your costs down further but we don't get that. We're Counting down the days to school!our daughter has been in childcare since she was 2 here and now she is coming up to 5 and will start full time

school in January and I do think it has benefitted her. In terms of child care there is no age limit, and I am pretty sure you still get the rebate for OSHC.

Edited by Ashleigh