Guest Lisado

New and some panic thoughts

Guest Lisado

Hi there We have started our process of obtaining the 475 visa. We have 2 children - 8 & 4, who are looked after my parents before and after school. When we come to Oz we won't have that and I am really worried about what I will do when I am at work and the kids are off school. Can anyone put my mind at rest - what is the childcare like, what do others do with the children in holidays before and after school, etc? Also did anyone have any doubts - as in, you really wanted to go but then suddenly thought you dont know if you can? My husband has lived in South Africa and in UK - so he finds the process easier than me. Lisa PS. This forum has been a godsend

Hi there We have started our process of obtaining the 475 visa. We have 2 children - 8 & 4, who are looked after my parents before and after school. When we come to Oz we won't have that and I am really worried about what I will do when I am at work and the kids are off school. Can anyone put my mind at rest - what is the childcare like, what do others do with the children in holidays before and after school, etc? Also did anyone have any doubts - as in, you really wanted to go but then suddenly thought you dont know if you can? My husband has lived in South Africa and in UK - so he finds the process easier than me. Lisa PS. This forum has been a godsend

Welcome to Pia and good to have new faces. Good luck with the visa and stay positive during the long wait periods. Everyone has doubts so your not alone, thats why a place like this is a god send. keep involved and if u can get to a meet or two when they happen. They are well worth it.

As for childcare, i can only speak on what i seem to recall i have heard but childcare is readily available although as always at a cost. the schools if im correct do alot more after school activities than they seem to here in the uk so im sure soemthing can be sorted out.

As a last resort im sure before long some clever person on here will set up there own child day care centre and then we will al be sorted;)

Good luck and again welcome

Guest Django

Hi Lisa,

Welcome aboard.

You are not the only one to have hurdles to get passed. Child care is a problem. When we get there Tracey will be the one going to work and I will have to stay home with the brats to begin with. Childcare, from research, is expensive so it makes sense for one of us to stay at home. We can make better plans as to whether I have to find a part time job when we know how much Tracey will bring in and how much needs to go out a month. Though looking at it, at the moment, if I did get a job it would be purely to pay child care and that's pointless.

No doubt someone from the otherside will be able to give you exact figures and you can see how it affects your situation.

Good luck

Pete

Guest graandjac

:)Hi Guys , we have had the same questions but you will be pleased to hear that almost every school does have OSHC ...out of school hours club , which is available before and after school also all school holidays and any extra days the school is closed , there are fees which we have not yet explored , but will ask tomorrow and let you know , Cheers Graham

Guest Lisado

Thanks for the reassurance and info on the childcare. Can I also ask - do we have to sit driving tests, etc in Adelaide - or is it just theory? Its years since I passed my driving test - I seem to worry about trivial things

Thanks for the reassurance and info on the childcare. Can I also ask - do we have to sit driving tests, etc in Adelaide - or is it just theory? Its years since I passed my driving test - I seem to worry about trivial things

providing you got a full uk licence you dont need to take an aussie test. Just turn up register for a ozzie licence and show ur UK one and off you go.

Have been told to try to hang on to uk one when u get the oz one but i think sometimes they make u surrender it