masha

Buying furniture

Hi all,

We will be coming to Adelaide at the end of May and planning to rent a house in the golden grove area. We are not taking any furniture with us so we will have to buy everything from scratch. Could you please recommend any reasonably priced furniture stores and also do you know how quickly they are able to deliver. Are there any second hand furniture shops which sell good quality furniture? Also can anyone recommend a store for white goods?

Also we are arriving with a 10 month old baby are there any mothercare equivalents near to golden grove?

many thanks for the advice

Masha

There are lots of options around for furniture and also second hand places. I'd wait till you are here and have a car and can drive round. Also gumtree is great for picking up second hand stuff, as are buy and sell groups, garage sales and so on. I've found most of our second hand furniture via Gumtree and buy and sell pages.

Aussies seem happy to sell and buy anything. I see people listing things wanting $5, $10 even $20 that I'd not even give away :unsure: And people are happy to pay. Fair play if they can get money for something.

Depending on what you want for your baby, if its thing like a cot, bedding and so on I'd hit places like Target, KMart and even Ikea. There are baby and child places kind of like Mothercare around but no clue if there are any in the area you are considering. Golden Grove is a fair way north and a good hour or so from where I live so I am not familiar with it as we just don't go that way for anything. I'm sure you'll find options once you are here and can google what is close by or go further afield if need be.

If you are renting a short term furnished to start you off this will give you time to find a place, find some places to buy furniture and so on. At worst I'd buy some things you'd get use out of in future and build up from that. So camping chairs, a high chair (Ikea ones are fab IMHO and cheap), a sofa bed or a good mattress to go on a bed in the future (remember, Aus queen is a UK king).

White goods, Harvey Norman, JB Hi Fi, Good Guys as the usual suspects. Plus other places. We tend to flit between stores and haggle.

Hi all,

We will be coming to Adelaide at the end of May and planning to rent a house in the golden grove area. We are not taking any furniture with us so we will have to buy everything from scratch. Could you please recommend any reasonably priced furniture stores and also do you know how quickly they are able to deliver. Are there any second hand furniture shops which sell good quality furniture? Also can anyone recommend a store for white goods? Masha

White goods ...try

http://www.2ndsworld.com.au

http://www.appliancewarehouse.com.au

Second hand furniture ...... try:

-Savers , the nearest would be Modbury, I think

-The big Red Cross store on North East Road

( If they can't deliver, just use a Taxi Truck...it's still heaps cheaper)

- And when you're settled and ready to move on to your dream home purchases ....just give them all the stuff back:

You'll have done the Diabetes Association and yourselves a big favor

JB :swoon: