Banking advice

Becks22

Hi all,

we are starting to look in to setting up a bank account before we come over, hopefully in July. I currently bank with HSBC in the uk and they are charging us £50 if we decide to get them to set us up. However, I can only see one branch of HSBC in Adelaide, which as we don't plan to live in the CBD means we wouldn't have a local bank. Not sure I like that idea! Any one got any experiences with the Australian bank chains so we can try and narrow down a couple to explore further? I assume it is worth doing before you arrive rather than waiting until we are settled?

Becks...have you considered going with a Credit Union instead of a bank?

....just as many (if not more ) ATM's (most of them interlinked), almost all the usual services etc etc

and (- unlike all the big banks in Australia) , the Credit Unions here are not currently working out ways of paying back their customers millions of dollars for having provided bad financial advice a few years back (refer Choice Magazine for details)

JB