Growler

SA driving licence in UK...

Hi everyone,

So im heading back to the Uk in a 7 weeks, however when i am there I am hiring a car but just realised my SA driving licence expires in august (I will be back in oz by then) just scared that it will cause a problem when i go to hire a car in the UK with the expiry date being so close...anyone got any light to shed on this? If i renew my licence how long does it take to come through?

TIA

Also going to the UK soon!

You should have plenty of time. You can renew it online and it should arrive within 7 to 10 days. I have many guests who receive their licences within this period, although sometimes a little longer depending upon weekends, holidays and time of year.

Enjoy your trip!:smile:

the licence shouldn't be a problem

-however, you might want to take proof of where you are staying when going to hire the car...they can be very awkward if you haven't got a UK address.

JB

I still have my UK licence which they give back to you when you apply for the Australian one.

My OH had the old card type licence which they kept when he applied for the Aussie one. He applied for a UK replacement licence online and has a UK licence waiting for him at his fathers address but not much use when you hire the car from the airport!

If your not living in the UK they prefer you to use your Aussie one as the UK license is not really valid because of the address

I still have my UK license and I changed the address to a relatives address before I left. Dont car companies have different rates for residents and non residents?

I went back to the UK at Christmas. the car rental place preferred me to use my Australian licence as they didn't need to run it through DVLA to check points etc.