Following the news and other events

snifter

We've been here for over 2.5 years now. And since moving I have continued to follow UK news, events and so on (mostly via the BBC news site and then if wanting to read or know more, opting for other news sources for more in depth reports etc). Not because I am homesick or hankering to be back there or anything close to it. Quite the opposite, I am very well settled and content here :)

I find no sign of this wavering or lessening off as time goes on and I do like following what is going on back in the UK, same as I do elsewhere in the world. I prefer to read the BBC news site over Aus news sites reporting UK news. I find most Aus news sources to be rather OTT or very biased and also hate the annoying ads that come with them :arghh: I don't like reading most of the Aus news websites and stick to ABC where possible although I've been known to read news.com.au on occasion:wacko::unsure:

Keeping up on goings on in the UK, I don't find it makes me homesick or missing anything about the UK or my life there in the least. I do like it gives me an understanding of what is going on, that when my family chat about stuff that is happening there I am more often than not aware of it, can discuss and ask questions about it and so on. I also don't feel any less a part of Australia or less involved here by following UK news in depth. I don't follow the news from my old local area of England. I'm not that fussed to keep up with all that, just the bigger picture stuff most of the time though I do read the occasional local news report.

I do wonder though as time passes and I perhaps have less contact with people in the UK (which is already pretty minimal or non existent for many of them apart from the odd bit on FB or the like) that I'll read less or be less and less interested in what goes on over there. Obviously much of what I read is not impacting me in the least, not being my home anymore but I do like to be informed. Same as I like to be informed here. I think that perhaps when I can vote here I'll possibly have less interest in the political aspects of the UK. Perhaps not :cute:

Anyways, just wondering how much news others follow. If its mostly Aus or local Adelaide news, world news, UK matters, bit of everything or something else?

well, after almost 40 years I can't even work out the names of UK Political Parties, anymore

- But, then again..... I still haven't worked out how the Australian Liberal Party get away with calling themselves Liberal.

obviously missing something

JB :swoon:

(- However, I find I can still laugh at the political satire stuff from UK.....so what's worth watching and listening to lately?).

If you have a podcast app, the BBC's "From Our Own Correspondent" is excellent - it's on twice a week (Thursdays and Saturdays) and is a great way to get a quick overview of what's happening in the world as a whole. The News Quiz and The Now Show are a good way to keep up with what the general populace is discussing in terms of politicians and events in the UK too. I bought the International Express here for quite a few years after arriving - not any more though.

Oh, and during the Australian election campaign at the moment Something Wonky is an excellent podcast too! They'er doing daily ten minute updates at the moment

Yes we get our news from the bbc too although I get news on my iPhone now and so get some stuff through Australian newspapers, though annoying the advertiser make you pay for interesting stuff. Which I don't. But I self censor like many of my friends anyway so my news reading is minimal, and dh reads more than I do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes we get our news from the bbc too although I get news on my iPhone now and so get some stuff through Australian newspapers, though annoying the advertiser make you pay for interesting stuff. Which I don't. But I self censor like many of my friends anyway so my news reading is minimal, and dh reads more than I do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oh dear, the advertiser (a news-corpse company) are really not all that smart!!

1. Go to main advertiser page

2. Identify headline you want to read

3. Try it.....

If it's behind a pay-wall, then do this..

2. identify headline you want to read.

Copy headline text header e.g. "Mum from Adelaide leaved kids in car to play pokies.."

Paste into google/yahoo etc and you'll get at least 2-3 maybe 4 links to other news limited websites carrying the same content

read away......

like i said, news limited not that clever and not that organised globally, you'll be able to find the content on any number of their websites as it is obvious they cannot manage all the manure they publish easily.

Oh dear, the advertiser (a news-corpse company) are really not all that smart!!

1. Go to main advertiser page

2. Identify headline you want to read

3. Try it.....

If it's behind a pay-wall, then do this..

2. identify headline you want to read.

Copy headline text header e.g. "Mum from Adelaide leaved kids in car to play pokies.."

Paste into google/yahoo etc and you'll get at least 2-3 maybe 4 links to other news limited websites carrying the same content

read away......

like i said, news limited not that clever and not that organised globally, you'll be able to find the content on any number of their websites as it is obvious they cannot manage all the manure they publish easily.

I do a similar thing only use an incognito window.

News Corp charged for their online content in the UK also (though am not sure they still do). I don't often want to read the Advertiser but sometimes there is an article I'd like to look at. I long ago stopped buying papers.

I hardly ever read UK news anymore. I did used to read the BBC occasionally and still have the app on my iPad but I've found I'm less and less interested in UK news. I mostly just read the ABC for news here and the advertiser on a Saturday, but I mostly read that for the SA weekend and the real estate section.

I don't really keep up with the overseas news but other members of my family do.

I think that they just keep up with odd or funny news (in their opinion!) from their local area. It seems to be a competition between old school mates about who can find the strangest news articles from their local town and then send it to each other :smile:

Some of it makes for a good laugh...at times.

For the first few years staying abreast of the overseas news was perhaps a means of reinforcing to our children (and sometimes ourselves when life was having a wobble) that we made the right decision in making the move here. It didn't always work out and didn't stop my daughter from ping ponging 3 times. The reports of rapes. murders, robberies in the city that we left was a constant reminder that no matter what, we were here to make it work.

I will be in the UK soon and expect a real shock to the system...like a real foreigner not knowing who's who or what's what as it's been 15 years. :smile: