Specified Work in Adelaide

Hello, I'm new to this forum as I've been granted my first WHV and will be flying to Adelaide in November.

I was advised to get my 88 days of specified work in early if I want to consider extending my visa. Having looked at my options, it seems like fruit picking would be more suitable for me.

I was just wondering if anyone had any hints and tips about securing this type of work in or around Adelaide? I don't really know what I'm going into, and would like to prepare myself as much as possible.

Thanks. [emoji5] [emoji92]

I'm not sure what fruit picking would be in season then tbh. Check out our sister site Poms In Oz as it has a WHV section with lots of info on jobs etc. Also lots of other backpackers. I'm sure there you could find out what is in season then and where. It may be in other states keep in mind.

I checked the seasons for fruit picking but not sure which ones would be available to do in Adelaide around the time of my arrival. I'll check out the other forum but thought I'd post here as I intend to base myself in Adelaide due to having connections there. I'll travel out from there but don't intend to go backpacking.

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk

Although you're arriving in November and would like to get your 88 days done as soon as possible vintage (grape picking at the wineries) usually begins late January (in McLaren Vale at least) so if you could hold off till then you might be lucky. Or make a start in the Riverlands like Rabeah suggests, take a break fro Christmas and pick up again in the New Year (or does it have to be 88 continuous days?).

Although you're arriving in November and would like to get your 88 days done as soon as possible vintage (grape picking at the wineries) usually begins late January (in McLaren Vale at least) so if you could hold off till then you might be lucky. Or make a start in the Riverlands like Rabeah suggests, take a break fro Christmas and pick up again in the New Year (or does it have to be 88 continuous days?).

That's a good question. I'm not sure if the 88 days can be done over time, or if it needs to be completed in one go. I'll contact the migration agents for advice on that one.

you might do better trying your hand at vineyard work. especially if you have an aptitude for pruning and trellising

the Barossa, Eden Valley,Virginia, Adelaide Hills, Southern Vales, Limestone Coast and Langhorne Creek are worth a go

John B

Thank you very much. I know that where I'll be staying is relatively close to Adelaide Hills, so will have a look into these places you mentioned. :)

That's a good question. I'm not sure if the 88 days can be done over time, or if it needs to be completed in one go. I'll contact the migration agents for advice on that one.

You are using a migration agent for a WHV application? It honestly isn't that complicated and is usually granted really quickly if you apply online. Unless there is perhaps a criminal record, then an agent may be required.

You can split the days up. You don't need to do them all at once but depending on who you work for and where you go, you may find it easier to do it all at one place to make it easier to get signed off. Everything you need to know for the WHV is on the immigration website. Its just a case of taking the time to read it all. I'd take the time to read it and make yourself as informed as possible.

If you intend to base yourself in or around the Adelaide area for the entire time of your WHV you may find regular (non regional) work hard to come by as you will be competing with local teens and students for the casual work that many on a WHV also seek. And that you will only be able to work a maximum of 6 months with an employer may make it tough. The job market here isn't great to begin with and quite a lot of people do have a tendency to employ locals where possible. Casual work has a vast pool of potential employees so be prepared work may not happen quickly. Also you'd miss out on seeing the rest of Australia which is well worth doing if you can as there is so much to see and do. Be a shame to be in one place the entire time and miss the opportunities/sights elsewhere IMHO.

https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/417-

How to calculate specified work

'Three months' means three 'calendar' months or 88 days. Work can be either:

• in one block with one business
  • in separate blocks with one business or a number of businesses. Blocks of work may be in different kinds of specified work.

One full day of work is defined as having worked the minimum number of hours considered to be a standard day by the particular industry in which the applicant is employed. Generally, the Australian working week is 35 to 40 hours, consisting of seven to eight hours of work each day. Individual employers can not set a smaller period of time than the industry standard to satisfy the specified work requirement.

In calculating the period of time for which the applicant has undertaken specified work, the type of employment relationship the applicant may have with their employer, including full/part time employment or casual employment, is not as important as whether the relevant industry considers the period of work completed to be equivalent to full time work for that industry. For example, if the applicant's paid employment involved two weeks on and then two weeks off, and this is standard practice in the industry, the applicant would be considered to have worked for four weeks (28 days). If the employer is satisfied that the applicant has undertaken the equivalent of full time work for that industry for the specified period, the visa decision maker may be satisfied that the applicant has undertaken full time work for the specified period.

Applicants whose work is equivalent to full time employment may count weekends in the 88 day period. However, if the applicant's work is not equivalent to full time employment, for example, part time or casual, they may only count the full days actually worked.

In circumstances where the applicant is employed by more than one employer at the same time, they may only count each calendar day of work completed once towards their 88 day specified work requirement.

The shortest period that may be counted towards the specified work requirement is one day of full time work (for that industry). Applicants cannot count a long day of work as more than one day of specified work. For example, if the industry's standard day is six hours long, working a 12 hour day does not count as two days of specified work.

Full time workers can count sick days only during periods where they were in paid employment and entitled to sick leave or covered by a workers compensation scheme. In these situations, supporting evidence must be provided by the employer.

Applicants who were prevented from obtaining employment because of injury or seasonal circumstances cannot count any time they were unable to work towards the three month period. For example, cyclones interrupting harvest activities.

Some possible examples to help clarify the definition of three months of specified work are outlined below.

You are using a migration agent for a WHV application? It honestly isn't that complicated and is usually granted really quickly if you apply online. Unless there is perhaps a criminal record, then an agent may be required.

You can split the days up. You don't need to do them all at once but depending on who you work for and where you go, you may find it easier to do it all at one place to make it easier to get signed off. Everything you need to know for the WHV is on the immigration website. Its just a case of taking the time to read it all. I'd take the time to read it and make yourself as informed as possible.

If you intend to base yourself in or around the Adelaide area for the entire time of your WHV you may find regular (non regional) work hard to come by as you will be competing with local teens and students for the casual work that many on a WHV also seek. And that you will only be able to work a maximum of 6 months with an employer may make it tough. The job market here isn't great to begin with and quite a lot of people do have a tendency to employ locals where possible. Casual work has a vast pool of potential employees so be prepared work may not happen quickly. Also you'd miss out on seeing the rest of Australia which is well worth doing if you can as there is so much to see and do. Be a shame to be in one place the entire time and miss the opportunities/sights elsewhere IMHO.

https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/417-

How to calculate specified work

'Three months' means three 'calendar' months or 88 days. Work can be either:

• in one block with one business
  • in separate blocks with one business or a number of businesses. Blocks of work may be in different kinds of specified work.

One full day of work is defined as having worked the minimum number of hours considered to be a standard day by the particular industry in which the applicant is employed. Generally, the Australian working week is 35 to 40 hours, consisting of seven to eight hours of work each day. Individual employers can not set a smaller period of time than the industry standard to satisfy the specified work requirement.

In calculating the period of time for which the applicant has undertaken specified work, the type of employment relationship the applicant may have with their employer, including full/part time employment or casual employment, is not as important as whether the relevant industry considers the period of work completed to be equivalent to full time work for that industry. For example, if the applicant's paid employment involved two weeks on and then two weeks off, and this is standard practice in the industry, the applicant would be considered to have worked for four weeks (28 days). If the employer is satisfied that the applicant has undertaken the equivalent of full time work for that industry for the specified period, the visa decision maker may be satisfied that the applicant has undertaken full time work for the specified period.

Applicants whose work is equivalent to full time employment may count weekends in the 88 day period. However, if the applicant's work is not equivalent to full time employment, for example, part time or casual, they may only count the full days actually worked.

In circumstances where the applicant is employed by more than one employer at the same time, they may only count each calendar day of work completed once towards their 88 day specified work requirement.

The shortest period that may be counted towards the specified work requirement is one day of full time work (for that industry). Applicants cannot count a long day of work as more than one day of specified work. For example, if the industry's standard day is six hours long, working a 12 hour day does not count as two days of specified work.

Full time workers can count sick days only during periods where they were in paid employment and entitled to sick leave or covered by a workers compensation scheme. In these situations, supporting evidence must be provided by the employer.

Applicants who were prevented from obtaining employment because of injury or seasonal circumstances cannot count any time they were unable to work towards the three month period. For example, cyclones interrupting harvest activities.

Some possible examples to help clarify the definition of three months of specified work are outlined below.

No, I applied online by myself after checking and double checking the government website. It was granted within about 24 hours. I reached out to a few migration agents and travel organisations for additional advice about employment and visa terms. It's why I'm also posting on here, just to ensure that I'm as informed and prepared as I can be. It's just the way I am; I'm a chronic worrier and having a lot of information puts me at ease.

I do intend to travel whilst I am there, it's just that due to my circumstances I'd prefer to base myself in Adelaide.

Thanks for employment advice. I'm anticipating my options might be limited being on a WHV, but I'm hoping to find temporary work that isn't just casual work. I'm fairly qualified although not sure that stands for much given today's competition, haha.

• 1 month later...