TravellingGiraffe

Picking a shipping company

I've been getting quotes from shipping companies, which isn't intrinsically difficult and they've all come in with a variation of about £50. So how do I choose between them?

Anyone got any companies they'd avoid or companies that they thought were really great? Might help me narrow it down. Otherwise I'll just have to pick one and hope they are okay.

We used Pickfords and Doree Bonner and had bad experiences with both, one damaging goods on route and one losing an entire box! Make sure you insure anything of value! Good luck....

We used Brittania and were pretty good. We had a shared container and arrived 3 months after we got it all packed up. Just be aware though that when they give you an arrival date you need to allow for another 2 weeks for it to clear quarantine

I'm shipping stuff about 6 weeks before I leave the UK as that is likely to be when my house sale completes. So not overly worried if it's a bit delayed. Gives me time to find more permanent accommodation before it arrives.

All the reviews online for all the big companies are terrible, which isn't particularly reassuring me. Only shipping probably 5 or 6 boxes but still needs to be right.

I'd look at a small move cube or shipping the boxes with Seven Seas. We used a large cube and shipped 4 extra boxes separately with Seven Seas without any issues.

Used Fox Moving which was the cheapest I found 7 years ago and depot was close to me. Paid £3200 for 20ft container but did have some items damaged and was delayed.

I'd look at a small move cube or shipping the boxes with Seven Seas. We used a large cube and shipped 4 extra boxes separately with Seven Seas without any issues.

A move cube is almost 3 times as expensive as I've been quoted for shipping my few boxes. Think I'm just going to have to picky one and hope for the best. As my dad said yesterday, people like to complain a lot more than they will talk about the positives. So most of them are probably okay, just not 100% perfect, which I wouldn't expect anyway.

A move cube is almost 3 times as expensive as I've been quoted for shipping my few boxes. Think I'm just going to have to picky one and hope for the best. As my dad said yesterday, people like to complain a lot more than they will talk about the positives. So most of them are probably okay, just not 100% perfect, which I wouldn't expect anyway.

The problem with sending a few boxes with a shipping company is they will go as part of a shared container which can result in long delays - there are many stories on Poms in Oz of people waiting months for items in a shared container. If cost is more important than speed then that would be the way to go.

I would however recommend using a seperate company to insure your goods rather than the shipping company. It's cheaper, provides better cover and pays out with less hassle if you need to claim. Check out Letton Percival and Insure Your Move (if they are still operating).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The problem with sending a few boxes with a shipping company is they will go as part of a shared container which can result in long delays - there are many stories on Poms in Oz of people waiting months for items in a shared container. If cost is more important than speed then that would be the way to go.

I would however recommend using a seperate company to insure your goods rather than the shipping company. It's cheaper, provides better cover and pays out with less hassle if you need to claim. Check out Letton Percival and Insure Your Move (if they are still operating).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We made the wrong decision to have a shared container (the power of hindsight!). It took an eternity to arrive here. There was plenty of damage and stolen items and the insurance claim was nothing short of a joke. The payment for damaged items was less than 10% of the value of the goods and the process was designed to be as difficult as possible...I remember trailing around trying to get prices for items that were similar to the ones that were missing or broken.

If I could do it all again....I would TRY to get rid of just about everything. We are a family of hoarders and stuff that arrived almost 10 years ago is now gathering dust (and spiders webs) in one of the sheds. Most of what we brought wasn't necessary and a small amount of personal effects would have been a much better plan. Easy to say and even more difficult to put into practice...we now have sheds full of stuff that will never see the light of day! :biggrin:

We made the wrong decision to have a shared container (the power of hindsight!). It took an eternity to arrive here. There was plenty of damage and stolen items and the insurance claim was nothing short of a joke. The payment for damaged items was less than 10% of the value of the goods and the process was designed to be as difficult as possible...I remember trailing around trying to get prices for items that were similar to the ones that were missing or broken.

If I could do it all again....I would TRY to get rid of just about everything. We are a family of hoarders and stuff that arrived almost 10 years ago is now gathering dust (and spiders webs) in one of the sheds. Most of what we brought wasn't necessary and a small amount of personal effects would have been a much better plan. Easy to say and even more difficult to put into practice...we now have sheds full of stuff that will never see the light of day! :biggrin:

I intend on getting rid of all but the necessary personal effects. So I'm reckoning on having 4 boxes to ship out depending on the size/weight of stuff. I hasten to add this is currently a guess until I decide on a company and the boxes arrive.

I know its going to take forever in a shared container but I don't see I have a lot of choice. Not got enough to ship to do it any other way.

Our extra 4 boxes arrived about the same time as our Movecube. Seven Seas run both and we had no delay issues. Perhaps check and see how Seven Seas work re boxes.

Bit late on this one so you've probably already sorted it but we moved a few boxes with Chess and everything worked out great. Took a couple of months to arrive though - not sure if there are quicker options.