Guest Beth&Martin

TV Licence?

Guest Beth&Martin

I was just listening to the radio this morning and they were talking about the BBC and the TV Licence - was it still worth having it with most people now a days have Sky, Virgin etc, and the thought popped into my head. Do you have to buy any sort of TV Licence in Adelaide? I know its probably not one of the most important questions in the grand scheme of emigrating, but I was just curious.

Guest graandjac

will keep an eye on this post ................seeing as we dont have one ..........yet..!!!???

cheers Graham

Guest moonraker1959

Hi I'm not aware of anyone having to have a tv license in Oz (lived in S.A for 30 years)unless things have changed I speak/email family regularly and no one has mentioned it,which I'm sure they would of!

After many conversations with chaps at work about this, you dont need a TV licence in Oz at all! You only pay for TV if you have Foxtel....However if you buy a HD box you do get some free HD channels!

They cant believe we had to pay in England...!

Dan and Steph

Guest moonraker1959

Dear wei wei

I hope your thread is'nt spam because it looks like it is!Stay clear everyone!Perhaps a moderator can look into that thread and check?

Guest alieninoz
    After many conversations with chaps at work about this, you dont need a TV licence in Oz at all! You only pay for TV if you have Foxtel....However if you buy a HD box you do get some free HD channels!

They cant believe we had to pay in England...!

Dan and Steph

Cool, that's the first thing that's not going to cost us more, good news:jiggy:

Guest jen&ian

No need for a tv licence here as everything is commercial, which means awful american style infomercials in the middle of morning telly and endless ad breaks in everything else.

Jen(dreaming of the good old BBC:daydreaming:)

They wouldn't have the nerve to charge you to watch the god awful crap that's on TV here................... lol

Well, they do in the UK!;)

Guest Aussie pat

Speaking of TV's....can you get BBC iplayer and the other on demand free websites for UK TV in Australia? Has anyone used it? I'm presuming it will, being on the web.

Just wondering.

No need for a tv licence here as everything is commercial, which means awful american style infomercials in the middle of morning telly and endless ad breaks in everything else.

Jen(dreaming of the good old BBC:daydreaming:)

What about the ABC, Jen? (often referred to as Channel 2). Non-commercial, no ads, government funded AND no TV licence! Plus it shows an almost unremitting supply of British TV! I do agree about the commercial stations though; utter rubbish - just like the UK!

Speaking of TV's....can you get BBC iplayer and the other on demand free websites for UK TV in Australia? Has anyone used it? I'm presuming it will, being on the web.

Just wondering.

when here it wont let you access. It picks up that your not uk based and blocks the IP. There is a way of fooling it in your settings but i am waiting my uk based pc expert to tell me how (basically our old next door neighbors son!)

Guest Aussie pat

Thanks for the feedback. I'm not surprised but thought I'd ask. I know they had huge problems because it was slowing things up for the ISP because of the demand. Imagine how slow things would get if all the expat's all over the world were using it as well?

when here it wont let you access. It picks up that your not uk based and blocks the IP. There is a way of fooling it in your settings but i am waiting my uk based pc expert to tell me how (basically our old next door neighbors son!)

Guest jen&ian

Your'e right Bill, and I do watch a few bits and peices on ABC, invaluable if you are a fan of Doctor Who!

Jen:)