Sign in to follow this  
Guest Django

Sorely Missed!!

Guest Django

Apart from the obvious one (people) is there anything those already in Oz miss from the UK?

Those not yet there is there anything you think you will miss when you start your new life?

Just wondered. :D

Pete

Guest BJF

OMG, Where do I start? Besides the obvious of family and friends.

I miss long cold winter evenings. (Christmas here is missing that cosy feeling) I miss the snow, the smell of frost and, although I never thought I'd say it but... yes, I miss the rain too.

I miss Cheshire cheese (you can get here but only in very small blocks and it's incredibley expensive. Danni (our eldst) asked for Ready Brek our first winter here only to find they don't sell it in aussie supermarkets (unless someone knows different). Tori (she's on the kids section) misses Polo's and I think Cheyenne was too young (4) when we left UK to really miss anything, she'll be 7 tomorrow.

Non-Bio washing powder, Bisto (browning and instant), Newcastle Brown Ale, frozen roast parsnips and a million other things which I can't think of right now and have learnt to live without.

Guest Django
    Newcastle Brown Ale

Right thats it we ain't going. :(

**Pete turns from computer and calls "TRACEY ITS OFF"**

Pete

Guest BJF

Don't worry Pete,

you can actually get Newkie here but only in little stubby bottles and it costs a small fotune. Last slab I bought cost me $68 for 24 and I had to have the bottle shop order them in for me as it's not something they usually stock. So I buy a slab at Christmas and make it last me as long as I can, I just drank the last two bottles last weekend. I know it's not a very lady-like drink but I love it.

Hi there

We are hoping to move to Adelaide in August. Adrian is worried that you won't be able to get brown sauce as whenever you go on holiday abroad you can't get it. He has it on everything.

Please can someone let us know if you can buy it there as if not he is planning on bringing loads with us.

Paula and Adrian

Guest PEZ

ive been told that you cant get a decent sausage in oz is this true?

Guest JPT07

We've just decided that we are not going if you can't get starbars or snickers out there!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Guest graandjac

Pete why did you ask that question :idea: , look what you have started is there any point in going anymore ? oh yes this country is going down the pan i think i can get by without all the other things, lol :D

Graham

Guest Django
    Pete why did you ask that question :idea:

Just interested. :lol: :lol:

Wondered what, if anything, people out there missed and what people like me not yet there think they will miss. :P

I thought I would miss some of my radio stations I listen to but then I realised I can still listen to them on line. 8)

Pete

Guest graandjac

Notice you on here alot Pete ,what stage are you at? just about to send our TRA off tomorrow ,or to our agent that is.

Guest Django
    Notice you on here alot Pete

Hi Graham,

This place is brill. :D I'm slowly working my way through all the old postings and learning loads. I've tried all the other forums like this and this one I find the friendliest aa well as the most user friendly of them all. So I reckon you'll see me hanging about the place. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Pete

Guest BJF
    Hi there

Please can someone let us know if you can buy it there as if not he is planning on bringing loads with us.

Paula and Adrian

YES you can get HP Brown sauce but not Fruity Brown sauce

Guest BJF
    ive been told that you cant get a decent sausage in oz is this true?

I don't eat Sausages so I wouldn't know a decent one if it jumped up and bit me but there are plenty of variety of sausages on the supermarket shelf.

Guest Guest75

After 7 years here there ain't much we miss now.

Family and friends.

A nice old fashioned pub for socializing would not go amiss - we do have Mick OShea's down the road though.

Haddock and fat chips fried in beef dripping is one of my little "Misses".

I overdosed on them last year on my 2 visits back to the UK last year.

Just one point...............

Very quickly we stopped calling the UK home,this is our HOME now.It justs helps the mind set.

The 2 trips back convinced me I'd done the right thing.Things had changed and I did not feel at home in the UK anymore.

We look forward to things here in Oz now

:D:D

Guest hayls

Hi DI,

There is a shop in Haandorf that sell polos and quavers and skips and birds eye custard powder and bisto stock the guy says he is getting instant bisto soon its all a bit pricey but worth it for a treat, just thought i would let you know.

Cheers Hayls

I don't miss anything after 5 years but its nice when you do get hold of something you've missed such as Pot Noodle. Most supermarkets have a little selection of English bits like HP Sauce, Hellmanns Mayonnaise (if unavailable go for Whole Egg Mayonnaise) and Branston Pickle. I haven't seen the Heinz English Recipe Baked Beans for a while now but we've got used to the Aussie varieties now.

Most items listed above are available here in Adelaide including Newcastle Brown Ale - Dan Murphy's sells that and in cans as well. You have to go to a good liquor distributor to get your favourite beers but you can get them. Also the food outlet in David Jones food mall in the City does quite a good selection of English beers.

For all your sweets and chocolate you can get them in various English sweet shops dotted around Adelaide. In the south, there is one in Victor Harbor, a deli in the Colonnades and on Beach Road, Christies Beach, a deli in the Marion Shopping Centre just outside Woolworths. In the City, there is an English sweet shop on Gawler Place. In the northern suburbs, there is a deli in the Tea Tree Plaza Shopping Centre. In the Hills, Hahndorf has a few sweet shops selling English produce.

So there are a few places where you can get your fix. They are a tad expensive mind but if you are desperate.

Sausages - yes my hubby has always said that you can't get a good sausage here in Oz but I think they are ok. It depends on what you like. There are loads of different varieties of sausage so it may be worth trying something new. Some supermarkets sell old english pork sausages as well.

With regard to household products - items like Fairy Liquid and Persil Automatic are not available but there are equally good products on the market. We use Trix dishwashing liquid (no we can't afford a dishwasher! :lol: ) and Omo washing liquid (we have a toploader).

Hope this helps.

Guest Django

Tracey has just voiced her concerns over television. Whats the deal? Is there much UK tv out there? Is aussie tv much cop?

Pete

Guest cockney lass
    Hi DI,

There is a shop in Haandorf that sell polos and quavers and skips and birds eye custard powder and bisto stock the guy says he is getting instant bisto soon its all a bit pricey but worth it for a treat, just thought i would let you know.

Cheers Hayls

Hi, there are a few of these shops about. There's one in Victor Harbour and one in Glenelg.

Also a shop in colonades shopping centre sell some chocolate and crisps that you can only get in the UK. They also sell jelly (cos you can only get crystal jelly here).

They also sell all the old fashioned english sweets. The ones where you used to buy them in quarters. Like bon bons, cough candy's, lime green sweets with chocolate in the middle. Ooooooh my mouths watering, just thinking about it.

Oh, also there is a sweet shop in Christies Beach that sell english sweets and crisps.