Nell

26 year old just moved to Adelaide and looking to meet people!

Nell    0

Hi Everyone,

I have just moved to Adelaide from London to be with my Australian boyfriend. We met in the states last year and got tired with the long distance so I bit the bullet and came out here for a bit. While I love his friends, I wanted to meet like minded people who had done a similar thing! 

I'm looking for work at the moment too. Is anyone else finding it hard to find causal work? I have a very strong CV having working full time for 4 years but don't seem to be getting anywhere. Any advise would be appreciated! 

Look forward to 'e-meeting' some of you! 

Nell 

snifter    79

Hello and welcome to the forum Nell. 

I'm a bit older than you, now married to my Aussie and have a child too. I didn't move over permanently when we were dating but did spend time here. We moved from the UK when our son was about 5. 

What visa are you on? Is it a WHV? If it is it may be you will struggle to get anything past the sort of backpacker casual jobs as many places prefer students or older school kids for casual jobs or a few hours as the rates of pay are lower for them. Have you tried the backpacking hostels for jobs listed or to see if there are people there who could help? Also if you are applying online for casual jobs it may pay to have a wander round some stores in the local area, cafes, shops and see if they have signs up looking for casual staff. Or check Gumtree, local free paper, notice boards in small supermarkets etc for local work. 

If on a WHV are you planning on doing regional work for your second year and to apply for a partner visa then if all is going well in your relationship (and if this route is still an option when the time comes)? If so, it may be an idea to get the regional work out the way asap as often people put it off then struggle to complete it as they can't find the work when they want it or run out of time and miss the second year by a few days. I'm not sure what work is available in SA or around Adelaide atm but hopefully there would be some. I know there are farms a few hours plus away that offer work to backpackers but really not sure if they have work this time of year. 

• Like 1

Abi    3

Hey,

We're finding it hard to get work too without  permanent residency some employers are just not interested ☹

Me and my boyfriend are mid twenties and arrived last September. Where abouts in adelaide are you?

Abi

snifter    79
23 hours ago, Abi said:

Hey,

We're finding it hard to get work too without  permanent residency some employers are just not interested ☹

Me and my boyfriend are mid twenties and arrived last September. Where abouts in adelaide are you?

Abi

What visa are you on?

Abi    3

WHV with ongoing application for 190 skilled visa but until that comes through restricted woth WHV.

snifter    79
On 6/24/2017 at 6:14 PM, Abi said:

WHV with ongoing application for 190 skilled visa but until that comes through restricted woth WHV.

That would probably be why. Its probably only really casual work on a WHV here. Unemployment rate and and given there are lots of teens and early 20's available for those jobs (and for the lesser casual pay?) employers are probably going to go for those first over someone older on a WHV. 

On a WHV you could probably find some farm or regional work or some such or even something casual via an employment agency but don't expect decent office jobs and so on to be heading your way at present. Its crap but its probably how its going to be unless you happen to know someone who can help swing you something. 

Abi    3

Yeah I've been quite lucky and have found a couple of part time positions but have to leave after 6 months. I have done 4 months farm work and really enjoyed it so might look again when the time comes. 

Hopefully everything with the 190 goes okay. 🤞

snifter    79

If you got signed off on the farm work and did enough to get your 2nd year at least that gives you wiggle room.

And yes, down side of the WHV is the 6 month limitation in that year. 

SCCC23    0

Hi,

My girlfriend and I - both late twenties - are moving to Adelaide at the start of October.

We're both keen to meet people and to make new friends. Would be good to meet people who already know a bit about the city and give us some pointers, but also keen to explore the city ourselves.

We previously spent a year in Australia on a WHV, and were predominately in Brisbane and Melbourne and travelling around in between. Had a brief couple of weeks in Adelaide, and we're now fortunate enough to be coming over on a Permanent 190 Visa, so will be also be looking for work.

If anyone is interested in meeting up for a drink, let us know.

Cheers

Steve

Nell    0
On 23/06/2017 at 1:23 PM, Abi said:

Hey,

Abi

Hey Abi

Sorry for the late reply, I kept forgetting to check the website! 

I am in Glenelg at the moment...what about you guys? Have you had anymore luck with the visa? I'm just finishing up a 3 month contract then it's back to the grind 😫

Edited by Nell