Debs

Safeguarding jobs in Schools?

Hi everyone, I've just signed up to this site and planning a move to Adelaide in a years time. I currently work in a Secondary School as a Safeguarding and Child Protection lead. I'd be interested to get some knowledge about the School system in SA. In UK we are using non teaching staff in Child Protection posts, wondering if SA is similar as it's a relatively new initiative here. Thanks :-) 

Welcome to the forum.  I'm afraid I can't really help with your query because I don't know enough about how things work in schools here, but good luck with it all.  Have you already got your visas applied for?

Hi Debs, 

I'm intrigued, does your role combine the job of a school counsellor with the responsibility for making mandatory notifications?

If so, perhaps you could look at working in training, specifically administering the Child Safe Environments course which is mandatory for anyone working with kids.

In my, albeit limited, knowledge we are legally obligated to make our own mandatory notification. For example, if I hear / see something of concern in my role as SSO (Student Services Officer - usually not teachers), even though I will refer them to the counsellor / pastoral care worker and tell the relevant teachers I still have to make a report to Families SA because I am a mandated notifier. Given that, I don't believe schools in SA would have a go-to person responsible for mandatory notifications.

Anyway, welcome to the forum ?????

• Like 1

Thanks for the info. I do the low level counselling and am responsible for all Safeguarding and Child Protection referrals. The Australian system sounds quite different if all schools have lots of mandated notifiers. Thank you for your response.

Debs