Job Prospects with 489 Visa

Hi there, just discovered this forum and I wanted to say thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences. 

I also wanted to ask if I manage to get to SA via the 489 Visa (which I understand is a Temp Residency) - would I be prejudiced when it comes to applying for jobs etc? I've heard (unfounded) stories about how employers have a preference not to hire people on the 489. 

Anyone that can shed some light would be greatly appreciated! 

Thanks 

Funnily enough, my husband just had to hire somebody. He told me that when he was going through the applications, he ignored any from people who were not yet in the country (he wanted someone to start within a couple of weeks), and any from people without permanent residency.

I was surprised, but he explained that the cost of training is quite high and has to be recouped by keeping their employees as long as possible - even though there is no guarantee that even perms / citizens will stay beyond a couple of years.

I wouldn't let this example particularly worry you, as getting a job can be down to so many variables anyway, I simply thought it was interesting.

Welcome, btw!

? LC

• 3 weeks later...

Unless you are specifically asked to state your visa type or the job advert specifies Citizenship or defence clearance which would exclude you from applying anyway, there is no need to mention it in my opinion.

As LC mentions often getting a job in Adelaide is down to so many variables, not just your visa type.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/11/2017 at 7:18 AM, Lazy Cow said:

Funnily enough, my husband just had to hire somebody. He told me that when he was going through the applications, he ignored any from people who were not yet in the country (he wanted someone to start within a couple of weeks), and any from people without permanent residency.

I was surprised, but he explained that the cost of training is quite high and has to be recouped by keeping their employees as long as possible - even though there is no guarantee that even perms / citizens will stay beyond a couple of years.

I wouldn't let this example particularly worry you, as getting a job can be down to so many variables anyway, I simply thought it was interesting.

Welcome, btw!

? LC

Greetings - I'm in Adelaide since 2 weeks on a Skilled work Visa 489. If your family members or friends are looking out for a manager/team leader in customer service, or the Digital Services arena, please reach out to me. Thank you!

• 2 months later...

NavinD, have you been succesful in finding a job? 

I am planning to come to south on 489 as well. Im also interested in the job prospects of people on this visa type. It is understandable that securing a job entails a number of variables but being on a temporary visa is, to my knowledge, one of the factors making the job hunt difficult.  

• 9 months later...
On 11/4/2017 at 9:35 PM, Sherdil said:

NavinD, have you been succesful in finding a job? 

I am planning to come to south on 489 as well. Im also interested in the job prospects of people on this visa type. It is understandable that securing a job entails a number of variables but being on a temporary visa is, to my knowledge, one of the factors making the job hunt difficult.  

Hi sherdil, did you finally secure a parmanent job in adelaide? Was your visa subclass a barrier in securing a job when you arrived adelaide? I and my family will soon be in adelaide on this visa subclass.