Adelaide or Melbourne

Carltons

Hi there,

I am new to this forum so please be gentle!!

My husband (44yrs), myself (soon to be 40yrs) and my 3 children (18yrs, 16yrs & 13yrs), will hopefully be moving to Aus toward the end of August 2018.  We were originally set on Melbourne as it appears to be a great city, though after trawling through forums, the feedback appears to be a little negative, likening Melbourne to places like London, extremely busy, over crowded, rat race, and expensive.

I am a Midwife and my husband is a senior logistics manager so we need to be in an area (either Adelaide or Melbourne) that will accommodate our professions.  My eldest wishes to go to University to study Law and my 16yr old also wants to head off to University to study architecture.  We are therefore trying to work out where we would be best placed in Australia.

We are from Sheffield, and whilst we like to have shops, bars, restaurants and cafe's on our doorstep, we also like the idea of being near local parks and beaches to go for walks and relaxing days.  We would ideally like to come home from work and spend time in our own garden (hopefully with a swimming pool) and enjoy a mild temperature with a BBQ and a beer!  We also have two little doggies which will be joining us on our adventure.

Can anyone give any advice on which city would best suit our needs, and then also which areas of the city?  I know I'm asking a lot!!

I look forward to all your help, and please be honest people, this is a huge move for us, especially as our daughter isn't really keen on the move, so it has to be right!

Thankyou :)

Hello and welcome to the forum.

I honestly cannot comment on Melbourne as never lived there. We did consider it as an option when we moved over (for husband it was moving back to Aus) but its size, climate and also the fact property is so damned expensive and we'd have been a long way out most likely and that wasn't what we fancied at the time. 

With regard to your questions, the main thing is work. I don't know how things are for midwives in Adelaide or Melbourne. Have you had a look on the job sites and any of the sites that list nursing jobs? Agencies? Been in touch with anyone?

Uni wise, Adelaide has options. I am sure both of the things your kids are keen to study would be on offer. There are other uni options iirc but I've listed the main two below that spring to mind.

http://www.adelaide.edu.au/

https://www.flinders.edu.au/

Some further reading also 

https://law.adelaide.edu.au/

https://architecture.adelaide.edu.au/

For me the things I like about Adelaide are for starters its CBD. I don't need a London, Paris or New York. I don't even need a Birmingham in terms of a city size :P Adelaide suits us down to the ground tbh. I like the size of the CBD, I can wander round it with ease if I want. Surrounded by parklands and a good commute in by car (though longer in rush hour) and an easy journey in on the train for us. Bus is longer and not really used much. It has lots going on and lots of festivals over the year (Adelaide Fringe is a popular one for us, along with a few others). 

Some people say 'what about the kids, wont they be bored in Adelaide?' but tbh ours had we stayed in the UK would have grown up in a very small town (it was called a village but had grown a bit in recent years) and if we didn't want to swap village or small town living in the UK for living in or near London/Manchester/Birmingham etc then why would we move to Aus to go set up in a huge city and still be miles from its actual centre/CBD. 

Its a different kind of life for us here and we've settled right in and never really looked back in terms of family and making a home here. We live in the foothills, on the edge of a quiet suburb with the hills and open countryside within meters of our door. Local parks, trails, reserves on our doorstep and national parks are all around Adelaide and if we fancy a change we can hop in the car and head down to Victor Harbor or some such for a day out. Or head out into the hills more. Or hit one of the many beaches (miles of stunning coastline here as Adelaide in on a gulf and it reflects in the climate and coastline). We are about 10-15 minutes from the beach and love heading down in the evenings after school in the summer and cooling off. 

In terms of what would suit you, I honestly don't know as I cannot compare the two cities. For us, hubby has done fine in Adelaide and hasn't been out of work since we arrived. Also the cost of living in the main two cities would be too much for us. Its far more manageable here in Adelaide and we are very happy with our choice. We have a good standard of living and made friends, built a life for ourselves. 

Have you ever been to Aus? I can imagine for your kids it will be a big change and I can appreciate not all teens are keen on the move. I've read that happening often. Some settle well once they get here, others don't. How willing they are to give it all a chance and perhaps not live life on FB/Snapchat/Insta and so on with friends back in the UK. It means they stay caught up in life there and perhaps don't embrace life in Aus as well. That can happen to adults also too. Some people struggle to settle, culture shock, lack of work can take its toll in the early months perhaps and can also taint a move or perhaps see it begin to crumble whereas had work been found it may have made the move a much better experience. Some people simply get here and hate it. It happens. 

I'd research the job options in both cities and perhaps have a read of our suburb guides (not many but some to give you an idea https://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/39-suburb-guides/) and also perhaps have a browse of the suburb chat forum also https://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/38-suburb-chat/

Work will be key but of course there are other aspects to consider also. Lots say go where the work is, but a part of me is wary of going somewhere simply for the work as if you don't like the place, you are not going to be happy in the longer term I don't think (been there, done that, got the postcard). 

Longer term, once they finish their education, some kids move away interstate for employment reasons (work can be an issue in Adelaide for younger people but its impossible to know how it could go for yours). Hubby has friends who went to Sydney, Canberra, Melbourne and elsewhere after uni. Some went overseas. Others, lots in fact stayed in Adelaide. Younger family members are mostly still here, a few went elsewhere but have come back within a few years. However, given how things are globally, kids could fly the coop just as much in the UK and go live/work in London, Edinburgh or overseas somewhere. Or they could move from Melbourne to somewhere else. I guess its something to consider as a possibility in the future and how you would feel about this. 

I've rambled a bit. Didn't mean to. Not sure its of much use but I'll leave it as it is :)

Feel free to drop me a PM if you want to chat a bit more :)

• Like 1

Thank you for your reply.  It's such a difficult decision to make.  We live in Sheffield which is a small town/city, absolutely nothing like London or Sydney!!  I just want to be able to walk down the road and there be a few bars, cafe's restaurants, shops etc.  Nice weather, light evenings to allow us to enjoy time together on the beach or in the pool on the garden!  I think I'm swaying toward Adelaide.  To be honest, my kids wouldn't want to work somewhere like London, so if Melbourne is anything like that then I don't think there is any concern that they will leave us to go there! We are looking at spending around $750-800,000 on a home, need a 4 bed and want to live somewhere like Brighton or Glenelg (I've been doing my research!!), do you think we will get anything for that price in those areas, ideally would like a new build :)

Sheffield isn't that small.  Personally I find navigating around Adelaide centre much easier than Sheffield city centre, but that could just be because I've spent far more time in Adelaide CBD than the centre of Sheffield (I'm from Rotherham and would choose to shop at Meadowhall rather than Sheffield but have done a few trips to the city centre over the years).  

To get an idea of house prices have a look at realestate.com.au.  New builds in Glenelg or Brighton are likely to be subdivisions rather than large new estates but the trend here is to knock older houses down and rebuild so there are likely to be some new builds around.

In that price range a decent 4 bed in those suburbs may be pushing it. Have a look on realestate.com.au 

They tend to go for more around that area and as has been said often new builds are sub divided so smaller blocks garden wise and big house. Older houses can be found and may be dated decor and fittings wise but could be worked on to extend and decorate etc. But there is a big demand in the market round there and  decent blocks tend to be sold fast. You could expand out to cover suburbs like Hove and Seacliff although if looking for state schooling check zones if needing high school options. 

Just to make you aware that it's dark by 9pm in mid-summer but it evens out by our winter evenings being just a little lighter (5ish) so there are no really long summer evenings; I'm not sure how Melbourne fairs being slightly further south.

I'd choose Adelaide over Melbourne but that's because I'm not bothered for big cities at all - we live in McLaren Vale and with all of the coastal expansion happening down towards Aldinga it's even beginning to feel crowded this way! 

Good luck with your choice.

A few thoughts from me...

- Melbourne has so many more job opportunities (in general, I know very little about your fields of work, expect a midwife friend - a new graduate - moved to Melbourne after not finding work in Adelaide post graduation, near the top of her class. There were just way more students than vacancies. May not be the case for experienced midwives.)

- Houses are much more expensive in Melbourne. Salaries don't seem to be significantly more - eg there is no equivalent 'London weighting.' You may earn a bit more, but in my mind, not nearly enough to justify the expensive real estate there.

- Adelaide is comparable to a big town in the UK. Melbourne feels to me like a 'real city.' I love both!

- Glenelg and Brighton are both lovely and offer the lifestyle you describe. Glenelg is much bigger in terms of number of shops, restaurants, pubs etc. The main roads in both suburbs are called Jetty Road. But Jetty Road, Glenelg, and its surrounding streets (plus the marina and Moseley Square) are home to a far greater number of shops, cafes etc than the comparatively small stretch at Brighton. Brighton is less touristy

- Agree with Snifter - 750-850 will get you a lovely 4 bed home with pool in many suburbs, but might be pushing it for Glenelg or Brighton. But you could also look at the slightly cheaper suburbs around those areas, depending how bothered you are about walking to the beach/cafes/shops. For example, West of Brighton road (not beach side) in Brighton is a lot cheaper than Brighton near the beach, also consider suburbs such as Seacliff, South Brighton, Hove. Or even a suburb or two further out - eg Dover Gardens, Seaview Downs (near Brighton but not walkable to beach) would get you a significantly better house. Depends what you want to compromise on. You could also look around Glenelg at Glengowrie, Glenelg North, Warradale - all a bit cheaper than Glenelg or Glenelg South.

- The evenings are not long and light like English summers! That's one of the things I really miss about the UK. In fact, I'm heading over for a holiday next month and can't wait to sit out late with a glass of pimms in a lovely English country pub beer garden!

Good luck!

I love visiting Melbourne and agree with the big city feel...but I wouldn't want to live there.

Apart from the prices of property in Melbourne...I also dislike the enclosed feel of many areas...high walls and fences...that's something that I left behind when I moved here and I enjoy the fact that I feel safe without a big high wall (or any wall or fence for that matter) living in my suburb.

A great aspect of living in Adelaide is the closeness of so much that we often take for granted. Just a couple of minutes to the beach, reserve, open walking trail, scenic city walk, winelands etc. We are spoiled by having everything on our doorstep.

I like Melbourne more than Sydney, visit often for events (concerts) when Adelaide gets skipped but the pace of life is not something I would enjoy for more than a few days.

Thank you everyone, your comments are very well received.  I think it sounds as though Adelaide is the one for us, I suppose it's just a case of finding jobs there now, which does sound as though that could be tricky ....... however, we are strong believes in fate and what will be will be, so if Adelaide is meant to be we will find work there ..... fingers crossed and you never know, our paths may meet next summer!

• Like 1

My OH and I have recently changed jobs.  I finished my previous job on Friday and started my new job on the Monday.  Recruitment process involved an initial phone screen interview (this is common to try and exclude people from the shortlist often due to the volume of applications), a formal interview, police check, ref check.  My OH secured a new job, the process involved 2 panel interviews, police check, medical, ref checks...the process takes times, but this would be the same for us if we were applying for jobs in the UK.  Both of these jobs were newly created jobs, so despite the doom and gloom about the Adelaide job market there are jobs out there, but in my opinion, it depends what you do, what you are willing to do, what your expectations are, your attitude and understanding of the Adelaide job market and how to approach it.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Jessica Berry said:

My OH and I have recently changed jobs.  I finished my previous job on Friday and started my new job on the Monday.  Recruitment process involved an initial phone screen interview (this is common to try and exclude people from the shortlist often due to the volume of applications), a formal interview, police check, ref check.  My OH secured a new job, the process involved 2 panel interviews, police check, medical, ref checks...the process takes times, but this would be the same for us if we were applying for jobs in the UK.  Both of these jobs were newly created jobs, so despite the doom and gloom about the Adelaide job market there are jobs out there, but in my opinion, it depends what you do, what you are willing to do, what your expectations are, your attitude and understanding of the Adelaide job market and how to approach it.

That is so true. Thank you for that positive message Jessica.

We arrived here 10 years ago when the job market was better than not. we still had to go out there and make tings happen. I remember traveling around and dropping off my cv with prospective employers. After the comfort of being in the same job for many years before the move it's quite a shock to the system. I meet many families and the ones who hit the ground running and hit the issue head on seem to fare better. It's a stressful time and if that stress overwhelms you it compounds the situation.

Get out there and meet people. It's difficult but so important. You will be amazed at just where job opportunities come from. Friends of ours who moved from west Yorkshire 4 years ago have secured 3 separate permanent jobs from contacts made at the local golf club!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We were hoping to secure jobs before we come out there, simply because our children are older than we would like to be for a move like this and need to secure university and senior school places etc.  If anyone has any information on any job recruitment agencies that may be able to assist with knowing about transferable skills etc., that would be extremely helpful.