Sign in to follow this  
Guest TheLanes

The Ball is rolling

Guest TheLanes

Hello everybody, so glad we have found this site ;)- it has answered alot of the questions we thought we would never be able to ask.

Let me introduce my gang. There is me Ed, my partner Emma, our 4 yr old daughter Freya and also another one due in october. Me and my partner are 27 yrs old.

We are in the process of applying for a highly skilled visa as I am a qualified plumbing, heating and air conditioning engineer. We have passed the TRA paper assesment and are currently waiting on a date to do the practical test. My first question is has anyone took this test and do they have any information that would be useful to me.

The area we are looking to move to is adelaide (maybe brisbane or melbourne?) What in your opinions is the best areas for a family like mine to move to, so we can try to narrow it down a bit? What is employment for plumbers like here and would I need to travel to get a decent position? Any information on areas and employment would be gratfully received!

Please help us!!! We look forward to hearing you

Thanks very much for reading our thread

Ed

Guest caoimhe

Hi Ed

Don't have any answers to your question but when I was in Adelaide I loved it, the bigger cities were too big for me

Just wanted to welcome you to the site

Good luck with the process

Guest Django

Hi Ed and welcome to PIA. Can't help with the work side of thing as we are going out on my other half's skill as a nurse.

As for where to go. You have picked the three destinations we had left after our initial research. We then ruled out Melbourne as being a Londoner I have had my fill of big cities and so wanted somewhere with less hustle and bustle. We later found out it does get a bit colder there in the winter than Adelaide does so thats a bonus. Brissie was my first choice but probably too humid for Tracey and also recieves a fair bit of rain. Adelaide seems to tick all the boxes for us and sounds a good place to raise a family, and so this is the place we have decided to take our 4 children to.

Good luck

Pete

Guest caoimhe

Hi Pete

When have you moved from 'in front of my computer' to Gainsborough, Lincolnshire :biglaugh::biglaugh:

Guest Django
    Hi Pete

When have you moved from 'in front of my computer' to Gainsborough, Lincolnshire :biglaugh::biglaugh:

Coz I'm on the laptop now :biglaugh::biglaugh:

Guest caoimhe

:biglaugh::biglaugh:

Know wonder you are well known for winding up kids

Guest Guest75

Hi Ed and co,welcome to PIA:D

To be a plumber here you need to have a licence.

Have a look at the OCBA web site here.......http://www.ocba.sa.gov.au/licensing/plumbers/index.html

You won't be able to work unsupervised otherwise.

Guest melbourneben

Hi mate, Adelaide and Melbourne are both good places with plenty of work. I dont know about Brisbane but ive heard work can be a little scarce.

Melbourne where we currently live is a big international style city, like London but with a smaller population. We like it here, the people are friendly, theres plenty to do and theres heaps of work available.

Were moving to Adelaide next year to gain our perm residency, as were currently on a temp work visa at the mo. When we visited I thought it was much smaller than Melbourne and much more like an English city. Id would say its similiar in size to Birmingham.

Theres probably heaps more people on here that can advise you on Adelaide better than I could though.