sunnyside

887 Visa - What's the update?

marlowe022,  Thanks for sharing your opinions, but one of the agent told me that your interpretation is completely wrong. 
Just a week ago, a friend of mine lodged his 887 visa application by counting his bridging visa time after applying for 489 visa. Because his agent confirmed him that the bridging visa after applying for 489 visa included in the 2 years residency requirement in accordance with the provision at the immigration website  
And all the clients of that agents already got the 887 visa without any issues although they applied for the 887 visa at the earlier stage by counting the 2 years residence requirement. 
Anyway, I still have more than a year until apply for 887 visa, so I will keep an eye on my friend's case and will make a decision.

I will keep updating the outcome of my friend's application progress. 

What I just explain is not my interpretation. Thats how you get your bridging visa. AND thats how it works.

Please quote this, bridging visa only exist to compensate those who are applying for permanent visa and got their temporary visa expired while in the process. Having said that, bridging visa only exist to make your stay in Australia LEGAL while your application still in the process. Because you need to be onshore once they give decision to your application.

P.S. If your 489 visa expired and you didnt extend it or applied for permanent residency. You will not be given a bridging visa by the immi.
  • Like 1

What I just explain is not my interpretation. Thats how you get your bridging visa. AND thats how it works.

Please quote this, bridging visa only exist to compensate those who are applying for permanent visa and got their temporary visa expired while in the process. Having said that, bridging visa only exist to make your stay in Australia LEGAL while your application still in the process. Because you need to be onshore once they give decision to your application.

P.S. If your 489 visa expired and you didnt extend it or applied for permanent residency. You will not be given a bridging visa by the immi.

He is just trying to say that when u apply for 489 u will get a bridging visa before ur 489 approved by immi. It can be two months or one months to take decesion whatever. This one or two month is not countable (even though u stay in the regional area)for ur 2 yr residency condition as far i know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mehedi said:

He is just trying to say that when u apply for 489 u will get a bridging visa before ur 489 approved by immi. It can be two months or one months to take decesion whatever. This one or two month is not countable (even though u stay in the regional area)for ur 2 yr residency condition as far i know.

That is totally right, this is what my agent told me as well. And don't take risk, you must be 100000000% sure that you will get the visa then apply. once your visa is refused, it is hard to re-apply for it, especially for PR application.

and can anyone clarify this for me in the website of immi, 

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/skilled-regional-provisional-489/designated-areas-of-australia

it states the region for visa 887.

but on the website for visa 887 

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/skilled-regional-887

it states you can live everywhere in Australia.

so what is the area that we can live under visa 887?

27 minutes ago, Dragon_Lavie said:

and can anyone clarify this for me in the website of immi, 

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/skilled-regional-provisional-489/designated-areas-of-australia

it states the region for visa 887.

but on the website for visa 887 

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/skilled-regional-887

it states you can live everywhere in Australia.

so what is the area that we can live under visa 887?

Hi Dragon,

With 489 visa, you can only work in those regions (regional areas, depends on state/relative sponsored you for the 489 visa).

Once you have successfully lived (for 2 years) and worked (for 1 year) in one of those regions, you will fine for 887 visa. 

Once the 887 visa is granted, you can live "Anywhere in Australia".

I don't know what is confusing you?

7 minutes ago, peace_at_heart said:

Hi Dragon,

With 489 visa, you can only work in those regions (regional areas, depends on state/relative sponsored you for the 489 visa).

Once you have successfully lived (for 2 years) and worked (for 1 year) in one of those regions, you will fine for 887 visa. 

Once the 887 visa is granted, you can live "Anywhere in Australia".

I don't know what is confusing you?

that is what i originally think. but see this image.thumb.png.0f7cf78265654f33e802b3b53926e40b.png

"this table lists designate areas for subclass 489 and 887 visas. 

this confuses me. 

that is what i originally think. but see this image.thumb.png.0f7cf78265654f33e802b3b53926e40b.png
"this table lists designate areas for subclass 489 and 887 visas. 
this confuses me. 

designated areas are for those who are 489 but relative sponsored like myself (not state sponsored). I am currently in metropolitan area when I applied and got my 887 visa I believe@Honey has the same condition as myself.

If you are state sponsored, you can only stay in regional areas and low populated areas as stated in the link below
https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/skilled-regional-provisional-489/regional-postcodes

2 hours ago, Dragon_Lavie said:

That is totally right, this is what my agent told me as well. And don't take risk, you must be 100000000% sure that you will get the visa then apply. once your visa is refused, it is hard to re-apply for it, especially for PR application.

I was overseas for 13 days during my two years. I didn't compensate (I had called immi thrice, and all the time they told me that i need not compensate) n applied exactly a day after completion of 2 years. Now does this then mean that my application may ne rejected!!!

12 minutes ago, marlowe022 said:

designated areas are for those who are 489 but relative sponsored like myself (not state sponsored). I am currently in metropolitan area when I applied and got my 887 visa I believe@Honey has the same condition as myself.

If you are state sponsored, you can only stay in regional areas and low populated areas as stated in the link below
https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/skilled-regional-provisional-489/regional-postcodes

True @marlowe022 we can work entire state of VIC.

• Like 2

Was there a bridging visa when you apply for 489 visa before approval? Im not aware of this.

What are the conditions for you to get this? Was this mentioned in on site? I didnt get any when I was applying my 489 visa. Can someone send me a link on this. Thanks
  • Like 1

Was there a bridging visa when you apply for 489 visa before approval? Im not aware of this.

What are the conditions for you to get this? Was this mentioned in on site? I didnt get any when I was applying my 489 visa. Can someone send me a link on this. Thanks

Yes of course. I was in 485 before. Then applied for 489 and got bridiging visa. And they approved my 489 after 2 and half month.

26 minutes ago, Nada said:

I was overseas for 13 days during my two years. I didn't compensate (I had called immi thrice, and all the time they told me that i need not compensate) n applied exactly a day after completion of 2 years. Now does this then mean that my application may ne rejected!!!

Not at all, please do not worry! 🙂 If you maintained your regular residence in Australia, permanent address and all, you were allowed some overseas holidays, it will not affect your application. 🙂 

It is true that here on the forum most of us will advise to compensate all days absent to be on the safe side for people who are only planning to apply, but don't panic in your case because of 13 days, as long as you had your permanent address in Australia at the time of travel.

• Thanks 1

Yes of course. I was in 485 before. Then applied for 489 and got bridiging visa. And they approved my 489 after 2 and half month.

Oh I see, so this is a transition from discontinued temp visa to 489. What I was explaining was the bridging visa that they will give after you apply for 887. I was offshore when I apply for 489.

But you know what? I doesnt matter if you came from other temp visa or bridging visa before 489. As long as you STAYED FOR 2 LEGAL YEARS in Australia, you’re good to go for appication. So you just count from your date of arrival, 2 years from there and thats it.

This is to avoid confusion for other current/future applicants
  • Like 1

Oh I see, so this is a transition from discontinued temp visa to 489. What I was explaining was the bridging visa that they will give after you apply for 887. I was offshore when I apply for 489.

But you know what? I doesnt matter if you came from other temp visa or bridging visa before 489. As long as you STAYED FOR 2 LEGAL YEARS in Australia, you’re good to go for appication. So you just count from your date of arrival, 2 years from there and thats it.

This is to avoid confusion for other current/future applicants

I finished my graduation here in australia. Then applied for 485. Then 489. And my lawyer told me that 2 yr condition gonna count once they approve my 489 not in bridging visa or any other visa.

I finished my graduation here in australia. Then applied for 485. Then 489. And my lawyer told me that 2 yr condition gonna count once they approve my 489 not in bridging visa or any other visa.

I see, I’ll rephrase it then.

As long as you stayed 2 years legally with elligible visa then youre good to go.

Thanks for the clarification
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, marlowe022 said:

I see, I’ll rephrase it then.

As long as you stayed 2 years legally with elligible visa then youre good to go.

Thanks for the clarification emoji846.png

Isn't it confusing? 🤔 Looking at immi site now. It literally says:

To apply for 887 you must currently hold an eligible visa. You must have held an eligible visa for at least a total of 2 years before you apply for a Skilled Regional (subclass 887) visa.

An eligible visa means either:

• a subclass 489, 495, 496, 475 or 487 visa, or
  • a Bridging visa A or Bridging visa B, after having made a valid application for a subclass 489, 495 or 487 visa

So does it mean the lawyer was wrong in saying 1-2 months on bridging visa before getting 489 does not count?! Confused! 😄

• Like 2

Isn't it confusing?  Looking at immi site now. It literally says: To apply for 887 you must currently hold an eligible visa. You must have held an eligible visa for at least a total of 2 years before you apply for a Skilled Regional (subclass 887) visa.

• a Bridging visa A or Bridging visa B, after having made a valid application for a subclass 489, 495 or 487 visa
So does it mean the lawyer was wrong in saying 1-2 months on bridging visa before getting 489 does not count?! Confused!

Now@russki I cant confirm since I didn’t went through that process. Some agent really contradict each other

Maybe@mehedi ‘s agent is wrong about that claim.

• Like 1

The other visa I was referring was those temporary visas other than 489 (e.g. 495, 496, 487 etc.)

Does your agent mean you’re legal stay doesnt count anymore if your visa was discontinued?

2 hours ago, Nada said:

1 hour ago, Russki said:

Not at all, please do not worry! 🙂 If you maintained your regular residence in Australia, permanent address and all, you were allowed some overseas holidays, it will not affect your application. 🙂 

It is true that here on the forum most of us will advise to compensate all days absent to be on the safe side for people who are only planning to apply, but don't panic in your case because of 13 days, as long as you had your permanent address in Australia at the time of travel.

totally agree, 13 days during 2 year residency is OK as long as you have permanent address in Australia. I was talking about the bridging visa toward to visa 489. don't count it into 2 year residency requirement as sometime it take more than 2 months to get that even you live in designate area during that time. don't risk. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Honey said:

They not progressing at all 😞

True..I am not expecting any grant in this year now. May be they will start after first week of Jan or so.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DKAGG said:

True..I am not expecting any grant in this year now. May be they will start after first week of Jan or so.

It is sad. We started with 3 months of wait time and now it is 12 months. 😞 I was hoping at least 1 file in the month of Dec as it is not necessary that they gonna close the department for whole month. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Russki said:

Isn't it confusing? 🤔 Looking at immi site now. It literally says:

To apply for 887 you must currently hold an eligible visa. You must have held an eligible visa for at least a total of 2 years before you apply for a Skilled Regional (subclass 887) visa.

So does it mean the lawyer was wrong in saying 1-2 months on bridging visa before getting 489 does not count?! Confused! 😄

What i don’t get is why some people feel the need to “play” really close to the edge. 😂

• Haha 1

What i don’t get is why some people feel the need to “play” really close to the edge.

I played close to the edge and I was one of the few who got a grant before CO go lay-low. I submitted my application exactly 2 years after my date of arrival and I’m glad I did, otherwise im still waiting for grant
  • Like 2