887 Visa - What's the update?

sunnyside

2 hours ago, George said:

Hi 489rs.

I've been heavily criticized and also offended here before for expressing my thoughts 'without sympathy' for others. 

So I'll start saying I really wish everyone the best, really understand how hard it can be to immigrate.

However, I intend to discuss the cold hard rules and requirements, not judging anyone's right to be happy.

So...

Two common mistakes some people do, and then they come here to ask for help. (although there's no problem in asking for help here, I prefer a less sweet, more direct speech)

1) Live with someone, name not in the contract and struggle to prove 2 years in Australia: 

The real estate contracts are clear, if the primary tenant decides to have someone else living in the house (you), they MUST ask the landlord's approval. And then the new guy (your) name will be part of the contract. End of the problem. If your friend owns the house, do a rental agreement with him, in writing. 

If you want to have your 887, start doing the right things on day 1.

2) Worked in hospitality, taxi driver etc. and struggle to prove 1-year full employment.

The 489/887 scheme suppose to attract skilled workers to Australia. If you're not working in your "close related professional area" you shouldn't be applying for the 887.

Before throwing the rocks on me, please considers it's not my words. It's from the Immi page. We all had agreed with this when we applied for the 489, don't complain now.

(my main friends here are cleaners, construction labours and Uber drivers, so it's not a demerit, I'm discussing the rules only. Australia may not need more workers in these areas, just it.)

Why am I saying this?

I believe they will be more strict with the assessments from now on. (See @Russki 's case). They want to reduce the number of grant, one solution is tight the assessment.

I don't want anything bad for you guys, just be prepared for "surprises" (it shouldn't be a surprise once we all knew the rules, but the Immi has been lenient).

Last thing.

How much extra time and delay to everyone will take for a case officer to assess an application full of statutory declaration, bills of this and bills of that, letters from friends (useless) etc etc, if compared to a simple 12 (or more) payslips, a rent agreement, a bank statement and maybe a supper or tax return? If are not able to secure a job in your field, you may try another visa type)

I know they are not doing their work properly, but shouldn't we start doing our part too? (Doing things right, according to the requirements, to provide clear, simple, easy documentation). It will improve the assessment turnaround.

Hi Bro... what was @Russki's case ? Please elaborate.

Thanks,

3 minutes ago, Jeff24 said:

Hi Bro... what was @Russki's case ? Please elaborate.

Thanks,

Not sure about details, she may explain.

Just know they have asked for extra docs that are not standard. @Russki told us her case has some peculiarities that do not apply to everyone, which may have motivated the extra docs.

IMO, they are becoming picky to reduce grants. (that's opinion only, we'll see)

• Thanks 1

Hi 489rs.

I've been heavily criticized and also offended here before for expressing my thoughts 'without sympathy' for others. 

So I'll start saying I really wish everyone the best, really understand how hard it can be to immigrate.

However, I intend to discuss the cold hard rules and requirements, not judging anyone's right to be happy.

So...

Two common mistakes some people do, and then they come here to ask for help. (although there's no problem in asking for help here, I prefer a less sweet, more direct speech)

1) Live with someone, name not in the contract and struggle to prove 2 years in Australia: 

The real estate contracts are clear, if the primary tenant decides to have someone else living in the house (you), they MUST ask the landlord's approval. And then the new guy (your) name will be part of the contract. End of the problem. If your friend owns the house, do a rental agreement with him, in writing. 

If you want to have your 887, start doing the right things on day 1.

2) Worked in hospitality, taxi driver etc. and struggle to prove 1-year full employment.

The 489/887 scheme suppose to attract skilled workers to Australia. If you're not working in your "close related professional area" you shouldn't be applying for the 887.

Before throwing the rocks on me, please considers it's not my words. It's from the Immi page. We all had agreed with this when we applied for the 489, don't complain now.

(my main friends here are cleaners, construction labours and Uber drivers, so it's not a demerit, I'm discussing the rules only. Australia may not need more workers in these areas, just it.)

Why am I saying this?

I believe they will be more strict with the assessments from now on. (See @Russki 's case). They want to reduce the number of grant, one solution is tight the assessment.

I don't want anything bad for you guys, just be prepared for "surprises" (it shouldn't be a surprise once we all knew the rules, but the Immi has been lenient).

Last thing.

How much extra time and delay to everyone will take for a case officer to assess an application full of statutory declaration, bills of this and bills of that, letters from friends (useless) etc etc, if compared to a simple 12 (or more) payslips, a rent agreement, a bank statement and maybe a supper or tax return? If are not able to secure a job in your field, you may try another visa type)

I know they are not doing their work properly, but shouldn't we start doing our part too? (Doing things right, according to the requirements, to provide clear, simple, easy documentation). It will improve the assessment turnaround.

"If you're not working in your "close related professional area" you shouldn't be applying for the 887" 

Are you saying that you have to work in your 489 skill profession to be eligible to apply for 887?? I doubt immi page says that.

• Like 1

(my main friends here are cleaners, construction labours and Uber drivers, so it's not a demerit, I'm discussing the rules only. Australia may not need more workers in these areas, just it.)

about

The above statement is incorrect and sends out the wrong message. If an immigrant on a sc489 cannot find a job relating to their profession then they can consider alternative employment until their circumstances change. This does not prevent an application for sc887 PR.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, lpcallen said:

"If you're not working in your "close related professional area" you shouldn't be applying for the 887" 

Are you saying that you have to work in your 489 skill profession to be eligible to apply for 887?? I doubt immi page says that.

That is an actual snipping from my invitation letter.

image.png.2a733a1604d2d645fc898b188aa25ff9.png

It may differ from yours, but I believe it's quite standard....must be in your skilled occupation (otherwise the visa won't make sense)

Furthermore, in my case, I had to live and work for 2 years. (The 887 requirement is 1 year of work only, but my commitment has 2 years).

Those kind of loophole I reckon they will start using to reject visas.....(hopefully not...)

7 minutes ago, TakeItOnTheChin said:

The above statement is incorrect and sends out the wrong message. If an immigrant on a sc489 cannot find a job relating to their profession then they can consider alternative employment until their circumstances change. This does not prevent an application for sc887 PR.

I challenge you to take a print screen of your invitation letter and prove I'm wrong. Show where they say: 'If an immigrant on a sc489 cannot find a job relating to their profession then they can consider alternative employment until their circumstances change'.

(maybe only my invitation letter is like this...lol)

I'll be happy to admit I'm wrong if you can substantiate your claim. 

7 minutes ago, George said:

I challenge you to take a print screen of your invitation letter and prove I'm wrong. Show where they say: 'If an immigrant on a sc489 cannot find a job relating to their profession then they can consider alternative employment until their circumstances change'.

(maybe only my invitation letter is like this...lol)

I'll be happy to admit I'm wrong if you can substantiate your claim. 

Practically most of skilled jobs cannot be found in regional area it doesn't exist. I don't know how to term in forum.

3 minutes ago, RANJU said:

Practically most of skilled jobs cannot be found in regional area it doesn't exist. I don't know how to term in forum.

Agree, it's not a fair requirement.

They may say you should have checked jobs availability before accepting the conditions. Which makes sense for me.

I think that knowing it's hard to find a job in your area, the COs have been lenient with this requirement. For how long????

1 hour ago, Hewitt Tan said:

Hi All,

I am on 489 family sponsored visa and going to apply 887 on early April (fullfil 2 years stay in Australia).

However, I worry about my 2 years stay in Australia. I live in

• Perth for 18 months (1.5 years)
  • Weipa, Queensland for 6 months (0.5 year) - Due to 3 in 1 roster FIFO

I am wondering that am I eligible to apply for 887 as I am not living in Perth for 2 years.

Thank you,

I know someone who came to Australia on a family sponsored visa in 2011 and did FIFO and he got the Visa. 

2 minutes ago, Delfin said:

Well, that's the only condition attached to my 489 visa. Says NOTHING about having to work in my nominated occupation.

Additionally, not too long ago Russki did explained that her case has nothing to with the work and living requirements.

aaa.PNG

I see mate. But I'm referring to the invitation letter. The letter the state sent to you before you apply to the 489.

15 minutes ago, Delfin said:

Well, that's the conditions attached to my visa. Says NOTHING about having to work in my nominated occupation.

Additionally, not too long ago Russki did explained that her case has nothing to with the work and living requirements.

aaa.PNG

51 minutes ago, George said:

That is an actual snipping from my invitation letter.

image.png.2a733a1604d2d645fc898b188aa25ff9.png

It may differ from yours, but I believe it's quite standard....must be in your skilled occupation (otherwise the visa won't make sense)

Furthermore, in my case, I had to live and work for 2 years. (The 887 requirement is 1 year of work only, but my commitment has 2 years).

Those kind of loophole I reckon they will start using to reject visas.....(hopefully not...)

Hi Bro.... thanks for sharing, but this I believe is not mentioned in most peoples application.  

My application attached does NOT mention "my skilled occupation (or a closely related skilled occupation)" just any work.

Application.thumb.png.32c40e86a4af04a4ca25884e5b49362c.png

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jeff24 said:

Hi Bro.... thanks for sharing, but this I believe is not mentioned in most peoples application.  

My application attached does NOT mention "my skilled occupation (or a closely related skilled occupation)" just any work.

Application.thumb.png.32c40e86a4af04a4ca25884e5b49362c.png

Sure @Jeff24.

I didn't imagine the requirements could be that different!

Thanks for showing me this!!!!! 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Delfin said:

Well, that's the only condition attached to my 489 visa. Says NOTHING about having to work in my nominated occupation.

aaa.PNG

My visa condition (VEVO inserted) is the same with @Delfin. There is absolutely nothing that says I have to work in my nominated occupation.

I believe the difference lies on where the applicant (for visa 489) has learned, acquired and demonstrated the skills (eligibility or meeting the points test pass mark) that Australia needs.

It could either be here in Australia onshore or offshore.

In my case, I have obtained them (2 years study, plus 1 year skilled migration internship program) here in Melbourne, Victoria.

VEVO Visa Details Check.pdf

50 minutes ago, George said:

Agree, it's not a fair requirement.

They may say you should have checked jobs availability before accepting the conditions. Which makes sense for me.

I think that knowing it's hard to find a job in your area, the COs have been lenient with this requirement. For how long????

Prehaps I may be the only guy who don't know about the importance of PR before landing .Honestly I am not aware of this situation. I belived my experience can easily fetch me a job whrever I wanted to as I worked in 4 countries with reputed MNC companies. CO job s tough.

12 minutes ago, George said:

Sure @Jeff24.

I didn't imagine the requirements could be that different!

Thanks for showing me this!!!!! 

Hi,mate. I have 489 visa also sponsored by NT. But the thing is we are not apply for 887visa to state governments but federal government. Therefore I don't think they will connect the invitation letter to your 489 visa condition that in turn affects your 887 visa application. I'm applying for 887 this year and working in retail. However my skill profession is different. Unless the immi pages confirm, could you please not add anxiety to us that are already insecure. Thank you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, lpcallen said:

Hi,mate. I have 489 visa also sponsored by NT. But the thing is we are not apply for 887visa to state governments but federal government. Therefore I don't think they will connect the invitation letter to your 489 visa condition that in turn affects your 887 visa application. I'm applying for 887 this year and working in retail. However my skill profession is different. Unless the immi pages confirm, could you please not add anxiety to us that are already insecure. Thank you.

if you prefer:

image.png.e3c740a58379846316afcdfddf110caf.png

489 is a skilled visa.....then....

If you don't believe, the link is here: https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/what-we-do/regional-migration-initiative/regional-migration-news/visa-options

Really sorry if this conversation is making you anxious. It's not my intention.

I want to understand what is happening with the visa processing time (purpose of this forum) and one idea is a more restrictive assessment. I hope I'm wrong.

Second paragraph: 'Migrants...must work in an occupation listed...'

I know they are not enforcing this so far. Hopefully it will remain like this.

But we must agree that a skilled immigration program targets our skills. If you are not using the skills the government sponsored you for, the program is not working. (not saying it's our fault)

image.png.bb0ba8bc074823927675f610129315f8.png

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, George said:

But we must agree that a skilled immigration program targets our skills. If you are not using the skills the government sponsored you for, the program is not working. (not saying it's our fault)

What happens if the originally nominated skills are removed from those lists? Lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, George said:

Maybe this is a new requirement for 489's applied for in the last year or so ? George when did you apply for your 489 ?

Mine was applied back in 2015, and I'm 100% sure this conditions were not mentioned on the departments web site at that time.

39 minutes ago, George said:

This is ridiculous. If they want to enforce it, they might as well changed them to employer sponsorship visa. Besides, it can be understood as you can work in any profession in these lists not just the one you get 489 from. 

Edited by lpcallen

45 minutes ago, George said:

The only condition in my visa is to stay, study and live in regional Australia. It is stated in grant letter. They can't add other requirements as they see fit. I believe those CO still follow the rules. You can always argue.

1 hour ago, Jeff24 said:

Maybe this is a new requirement for 489's applied for in the last year or so ? George when did you apply for your 489 ?

Mine was applied back in 2015, and I'm 100% sure this conditions were not mentioned on the departments web site at that time.

My 489 was in 2016. I've always been 100% sure I had work in my nominated profession. But it may be because this condition is in my invitation letter.

It's not new for me but it's clear that is new for most of people here (because it was not in their letter). So it would be extremely unfair if they enforce this now.

But maybe, just maybe, this information was on the website back in 2015/2016 but it was not clear or evident. I don't know.

Hi George, can you provide me the link of this information on home affair website ?

Based on my assumption on your article, I think this one is only for those who want to apply 489 visa. Not for those who want to apply 887

For 2 years work full time in regional area, I worked as a chef ( Chef de party ) in some resorts and also worked as a geologist in Northern Territory. I think its still on the list of Medium and Long term Strategic skills list