887 Visa - What's the update?

sunnyside

1 hour ago, Angry Coder said:

A group of likeminded 489ers thought about contacting a lawyer almost a year ago. However, nobody pursues because money was involved. I'm based in Adelaide and happy to arrange an appointment with a lawyer if accompanied by other group members. 

Any idea how much costs to consult lawyer and take any inputs? happy to share contribution, would be an easy deal if other people also join with this.!

• Like 3

"We are currently assessing applications submitted before November 2018"

How many applicant from November, I keep seeing this for last 3 months. This is insane, the closer we might get we are falling back on same speed. It's a maze, don't know how to escape [emoji21][emoji21]. Never fell depressed like this before.

Sent from my CPH1871 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Satish said:

Any idea how much costs to consult lawyer and take any inputs? happy to share contribution, would be an easy deal if other people also join with this.!

This is exactly what I thought!!! I am here keen to join this action. Hope we have web forum or community other than this. It's hard to communicate with it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Angry Coder said:

A group of likeminded 489ers thought about contacting a lawyer almost a year ago. However, nobody pursues because money was involved. I'm based in Adelaide and happy to arrange an appointment with a lawyer if accompanied by other group members. 

I am happy to contribute as well.

We need a list of people who is happy to join so we can estimate of we can afford a lawyer

• Like 1

I just called a lawyer and was giving some advices:

Make an appointment to meet the local ministers, I was given 2 contacts that I will go and meet them in March, we can request them to raise this issue in the parliament.

We can consider contact the anti-discrimination community.

If anyone is good in writing about the situation please share it and I will pass it onto the minister in person.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

when this 2018 applications will be completed??? anybody having idea about applications how many left??? 
Still a lot, they haven't finished November yet. I know few of them waiting from September, October also from June & July as well. Looks like, they messed up quite well, they need to short this up before they open up new file.

Sent from my CPH1871 using Tapatalk

All,

I have noticed quite a bit of emotional reaction due to lengthy processing times. This is understandable and no doubt everyone has their own frustrations created by their own individual circumstances. Some of our circumstances may be more urgent than others. I have noticed that these emotions have also suggested getting legal assistance. My limited knowledge tells me that this will not provide any resolution because quite simply no law or legislation has been broken and the department are within their rights. Be careful of advice that you may get. No lawyer as far as I am aware has put up a case against the department due to lengthy processing times?

Secondly the processing times of 19 to 22 months is the current measurement of how applications have been processed, not the future. In my opinion 75% is processed within 19 months. 'Within' means before and up to 19 months, that is why there are applicants receiving grants in a 13 to 15 month periods. Another 15% will take longer because they are complicated, and then another 10% beyond 22 months due to further complications, lack of documents, etc

I have also noticed comments that compare the grants of 887 visas to other visa types such as sc190. This is not a good comparison (not apples to apples).Someone indicated that some applicants for the 190's are getting grants after 2 months, which is not a true picture and not an indication of the total period from start of EOI, to invitation, to grant, - it is much longer than 2 months and in most cases longer than a year. Probably similar to when we were granted our 489's for instance. Secondly new 189 and 190 applicants need beyond 80 and even 90 points in some cases, in our day it was only 60 points. Therefore we might not have made it to Oz if we were applying today. Another issue is that we are already in Australia and therefore not priority processing.

I know what I have said does not solve your frustrations but you need to put things into perspective.It is not easy getting to Oz.Also do not assume that CO's are purposely delaying grants, that cannot be the case. There must be circumstances that they are dealing with, for instance the administration of the visas on hold due to coronavirus, etc. I am only guessing, I do not know but I am sure that there is a reason.

If you feel you need to speak to someone then try your local federal MP for instance

My own feelings are that this will not last, I hope. But it is not the end of the world

Edited by TakeItOnTheChin
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, TakeItOnTheChin said:

All,

I have noticed quite a bit of emotional reaction due to lengthy processing times. This is understandable and no doubt everyone has their own frustrations created by their own individual circumstances. Some of our circumstances may be more urgent than others. I have noticed that these emotions have also suggested getting legal assistance. My limited knowledge tells me that this will not provide any resolution because quite simply no law or legislation has been broken and the department are within their rights. Be careful of advice that you may get. No lawyer as far as I am aware has put up a case against the department due to lengthy processing times?

Secondly the processing times of 19 to 22 months is the current measurement of how applications have been processed, not the future. In my opinion 75% is processed within 19 months. 'Within' means before and up to 19 months, that is why there are applicants receiving grants in a 13 to 15 month periods. Another 15% will take longer because they are complicated, and then another 10% beyond 22 months due to further complications, lack of documents, etc

I have also noticed comments that compare the grants of 887 visas to other visa types such as sc190. This is not a good comparison (not apples to apples).Someone indicated that some applicants for the 190's are getting grants after 2 months, which is not a true picture and not an indication of the total period from start of EOI, to invitation, to grant, - it is much longer than 2 months and in most cases longer than a year. Probably similar to when we were granted our 489's for instance. Secondly new 189 and 190 applicants need beyond 80 and even 90 points in some cases, in our day it was only 60 points. Therefore we might not have made it to Oz if we were applying today. Another issue is that we are already in Australia and therefore not priority processing.

I know what I have said does not solve your frustrations but you need to put things into perspective.It is not easy getting to Oz.Also do not assume that CO's are purposely delaying grants, that cannot be the case. There must be circumstances that they are dealing with, for instance the administration of the visas on hold due to coronavirus, etc. I am only guessing, I do not know but I am sure that there is a reason.

If you feel you need to speak to someone then try your local federal MP for instance

My own feelings are that this will not last, I hope. But it is not the end of the world

TakeItOnTheChin, you are a good man.. Thank you for your post ..  😊

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, TakeItOnTheChin said:

All,

Further to your post TakeItOnTheChin, Were there any situations where grants received within 13 to 15 months ? as you mentioned ? 

27 minutes ago, DVR said:

We could have applied 190 instead of 489, 😥😓 sigh !!! 

I applied for 190 QLD and 489 QLD and I got invited for 489, big mistake, should done only 190 QLD because I had enough points to get invited... stupid!!! Well let's wait and wait and wait...

• Sad 1

46 minutes ago, TakeItOnTheChin said:

All,

You maybe right here as my lawyer told me that he called immigration for an other applicant who filed his 887 in February 2018 and got no reply and he was been told that due to bush fire Co’s are busy helping other government departments and went on leave so atm only emergency case officers are working on their files. 🧐

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, TakeItOnTheChin said:

All,

Ok I see your points. But, have you ever tried doing legal action against them? So what are your suggestions? It's easy to say 'oh this is not a good idea, this is not going to work  blah blah blah...' 

Are you 100 percent sure we will not going to win???

You basically speak the same as the department, 'JUST WAIT' from my view. 

What about this? 

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/jun/14/government-to-pay-damages-to-manus-island-detainees-in-class-action

42 minutes ago, TakeItOnTheChin said:

All,

I am following this forum from last year jan vn I applied for my 887. The funny part of this forum when some one come with some solution to take legal action or approach lawyers or some one told we should all protest in front of assembly to make things moving. Always some one come with all knowledge and finish topic. In simple words immigration is responsible for our mental state of mind and stress. Other hand there is no comparison between 189 and 190 as they come out of quota. We already done 489 so we are here to full fill our condition of living and working so we done with that. The 887 can be done with in 6 months if immi wants but they want to bury us in regional area till we die. 
They are many people in forum including me too contribute and pay the fee to lawyers to discuss this issue. And guys who applied in last six month don’t think it’s not ur issue . If we don’t act collectively it will increase to 24 months. If we act by our own we can’t do any thing but collectively can change scenario . Thanks