Credit Rating

Guest julianh

Guest julianh

There are a few websites around which can send you a basic credit report for around £2 or a more in-depth detailed report for more money - just wondering if anyone knew if these would be of any use in proving credit history for things like renting a house etc. in Oz?

In case they are any use some of the websites are below, not tried any yet though:-

www.uk.experian.com

www.equifax.co.uk

www.callcredit.co.uk

Thanks

Guest Libby1971

To the best of my knowledge no, not much good as no-one asks about UK credit history.

When it comes to renting a house, all they want to know is can you pay. If you can, and if you can prove you can, you're halfway there. If you have a job, great. If you have cash in the bank, fab. We were advised to offer a couple of months up front in order to secure a place which we did. We were also asked to provide a bank statement which I thought had too much information on it. I got a bank balance on headed paper and took that instead which was fine.

When it comes to getting credit, you may struggle to get the interest free deals if you are on a temp visa as they do ask it directly as a question but also ask for your passport for ID.

Credit cards are fine once you are in receipt of a regular income.

Libby

Hi Julian

As Libby says, not really asked for when it comes to applying for credit, however if you are looking to arrange a home loan and you wish to borrow around the maximum affordability then something like that may help your case. The more evidence that you have to support in those types of instances the better.

If though you are proposing to put down a big deposit then it will not be required.

Hope this helps!

Andy

Guest soggy
Hi Julian

As Libby says, not really asked for when it comes to applying for credit, however if you are looking to arrange a home loan and you wish to borrow around the maximum affordability then something like that may help your case. The more evidence that you have to support in those types of instances the better.

If though you are proposing to put down a big deposit then it will not be required.

Hope this helps!

Andy

Hi,

I found keeping hold of a uk credit card has helped a bit, when applying for mobile phone contract and when getting connected to landline and internet I was asked if I had a credit card and they did not seem to mind it was from the UK, in turn having a landline and mobile contract was a little help in applying for rentals.

The credit card was only a little help but any small edge may be useful.

Simon:)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jim Scott

Wouldn't be of any merit for a home loan application in my experience. Australian credit assessors would be unable to validate the report to be true and may not understand it fully anyway. If anything, copies of home loan statements showing good conduct on your past UK home loan would be better. However, the assessor will be more focussed on your income & outgoings and employment history.

By the way, you can obtain a FREE copy of your AUSTRALIAN credit file via http://www.mycreditfile.com.au/my_credit_file_product_information/my_credit_file_product_information_default.aspx