Guest LOOBYLOO

Selling Your House

Guest LOOBYLOO

Hi

When should you put your house on the market?? We have state sponsorship for SA, police checks sent off 31st May and meds were done on 5th June (email from doctor to say medicals posted today to Sydney). We feel we should be putting house up for sale but no guarantee visa will be granted!

All replies gratefully received :unsure:

Linda

Guest Django

Hi Linda,

This is a fab question. I would say that because of the curremt market if you wait until you have your visa and then put your home up for sale, the chances are you won't complete before your validation date. If I was you I would get your haouse on the market yesterday.

Pete

Guest LOOBYLOO

Thanks Pete. I agree but scared we might end up living in a caravan!! A neighbour is interested in buying - they want to move to a bungalow but don't want to leave the area. It seems an easy option but they still have to sell their house.

Linda

Hi

I agree with Pete, you say about living in a caravan!!

Although we rented our house out when we left, we had to move in to a caravan for 6 weeks before we came out. We had someone view it that needed to move in earlier than we wanted to move out.

After careful consideration we decided that she seemed like such a great potential tenant that we could not afford to lose her.

It wasn't so bad living in a caravan and our tenant is still in the house looking after it well.

If you do get a potential buyer then maybe you could try to hold off on completion or sacrifice and move in to a short term rental somewhere.

Andy

Sorry just read that you still had not been accepted for your visa!

I can see your dilemma, I think that in Scotland the house buying process is slightly different than in England in terms of when both parties are tied in to an offer, in England it is when contracts are exchanged, I did not work in Scotland when I was in the UK so am unsure do you know if it is different?

Andy

Guest isandev

Hiya Linda,

We decided to put our house on the market before we had been granted our visa. We had also just done our meds and waited a couple of weeks to make sure there was nothing wrong with our bloods ( we assumed if there was the doctor would be in touch with us ) before putting the house on the market. There wasnt much activity at the time in our area and wanted to give ourselves as long as possible to get a sale, as it turned out we sold it pretty quickly and exchanged before we had been granted the visa. We figured that the worst case scenario would be re settling somewhere in this country. Fortunately it turned out to be the right decision!!!! I suppose what made it easier was the fact that the house, although in a quiet area with nice neighbours, was not our dream home and we therefore didnt feel emotionally attached in anyway.

Good luck whatever your decision.

Gavin

Guest LOOBYLOO
    Sorry just read that you still had not been accepted for your visa!

I can see your dilemma, I think that in Scotland the house buying process is slightly different than in England in terms of when both parties are tied in to an offer, in England it is when contracts are exchanged, I did not work in Scotland when I was in the UK so am unsure do you know if it is different?

Andy

In Scotland the solicitors for each party negotiate a contract and then 'conclude missives'. Both parties are then tied to the contract and would have to pay compensation if they pulled out. Completion of sale is the date of entry.

Spoken to a chartered surveyor and my solicitor and property slump isn't really affecting Scotland at the moment. Fingers crossed.

Linda

Guest sarahsmartiepants

I would advise sell ASAP, there is nothing worse than having the visa and no bugga to buy your house. How many times do you see the threads marked "want to go and cant sell the house"?

I wish we had put it on earlier, if the worse happens and you dont get a visa (which I doubt) then just move elsewhere. I see you are in Scotland and the house buying system is different, but for those in UK, just keep the wheels turning slowly when you get a buyer.....it takes long enough for the sale to go through..........you can always pull out!

sarah

Guest Guest75

If you are fairly in front with your application and determined to get here I'd say get the house on the market.

Judging the way things are going in the UK you will be lucky to sell quickly.

:):)

Guest vikkiann

We lodged in jan 08 but have been watching the property market. I had the house valued in November and it is now 15k less. We have put our house up for sale because...........

I have a friend who is a director of an estate agents (we're not using them) who believes prices won't be rising until the late end of next year and i'd rather bite the bullet now and lose £15,000 rather than take the risk of losing any more.

Lucky for us my father in law lives on his own in a 4 bedroom house so we'll be terrorising him with our 4 children IF WE MANAGE TO SELL!!

We have had 4 viewers but no offers yet but everything is crossed

Guest LOOBYLOO

We had the house valued in March. I spoke to the surveyor today and he said as far as he was concerned it is still a valid valuation. We won't know until we test the market. We are arranging for 'tidy up' decorating and as soon as that's done we will put the house up for sale.

Good luck with your house sale.

Guest LOOBYLOO
    NOW, NOW,NOW,

Good luck

Guzzler

Thanks......I got your message LOUD AND CLEAR!!

Hi

Get your house on the market sooner than later and then it gives you more chance to find a buyer, so when your visa does come through you are ready to go. Putting mine on the market next week.

Jo

Guest Jane & Tony

Hiya

Get it on the market last year.

Honestly, don't worry about selling befor you get your visa. Worry about it afterwards 'cause believe me, I thought getting the visa was the worst butselling up is far worse.

Good Luck!

Jane

Guest LOOBYLOO
    Hi

Get your house on the market sooner than later and then it gives you more chance to find a buyer, so when your visa does come through you are ready to go. Putting mine on the market next week.

Jo

How far down the line are you?

Guest LOOBYLOO
    Hiya

Get it on the market last year.

Honestly, don't worry about selling befor you get your visa. Worry about it afterwards 'cause believe me, I thought getting the visa was the worst butselling up is far worse.

Good Luck!

Jane

Have you got your visa and have you sold your house?

Guest Jane & Tony
    Have you got your visa and have you sold your house?

Hiya.

Yes we got our visa ok'd on the 26th May this year.

We put our house on the market in November as soon as our application went in to Australia.

We've had a lot of interest but all the parties have to sell too.

Please read my bite the bullet thread for more info.

Cheers

Jane

PS I hope that whatever decision you make will be the right one. If you have a good agent, they will be able to give you an idea of you chanches of gaining your visas.

Mine told me back in July at our initial meeting that we had a very good chance as long as the medicals didn't show anything awful. If I were you, I'd get on the market as soon as your meds have been cleared. Ask the Doctor when you have them how long it takes for him to let you know if there are any problems with the x-rays, bloods etc

xxx

Hi Linda and Andy

I have just got my registration through with the SA nursing board so will be applying for my 457 temp visa very soon. Just want house on the market now, with the market being so slow trying to get ahead of the game. Fingers crossed.

Jo

Guest LOOBYLOO
    Hi Linda and Andy

I have just got my registration through with the SA nursing board so will be applying for my 457 temp visa very soon. Just want house on the market now, with the market being so slow trying to get ahead of the game. Fingers crossed.

Jo

The decorators are coming tomorrow. We will ask couple who are interested to view first (see if we can save Estate Agent fees!!) and take it from there.

Good luck with visa and house sale.