Guest halfadozen

Construction Manager / Plumber ??

Guest halfadozen

Hi All

Having read your posts I'm hoping you might be able to give me a bit of advice? I am currently a contracts manager in the UK and have the NVQ level 5 in Contracts Management (post graduate degree equivelant). The trouble is vetassess are not accepting this as degree equivalent and will only treat it as a diploma and therefore I will not be able to apply under the 50 point occupation Construction Project Manager. I am 40 years old so with all my points I am only up to 85 in this case and therefore can't even apply for state sponsorship as I need 90 for this. It seems mad as I have 6 years Contracts Management experience and over 20 years experience in the building industry. When I left school I worked for 3 years as a plumber although I never qualified, I have kept this up on a casual part time basis in recent years so as not to 'lose' it, I have been told that to apply for the visa as a plumber I do not need qualifications but do need to have the experience, which I have got. So I am now thinking should I try this route as it will give me more points to get in?

Going from being really down thinking we'll never get in to being more determined to get there and start our new life!

Any advice would be really appreciated, thanks x

Guest graandjac

:)Sounds like ......thats should be the way in , there are planty of people who have done this , Iam sure he wont mind but Ian b did the same . He came over as (well arrives tomorrow) a carpenter but is infact is a Site Manager , and the good thing about a 136 skilled visa is you dont have to work in the occupation you applied as , seems a bit daft but Iam a roof tiler but am looking to head in a different direction, good luck Cheers Graham

Yes Graham is 100% correct.

I applied on my trade background as a carpenter as that gave me the points needed. Although im a Site Manager now (after all the demotions!;))

All i had to do was gather all my qualifications for carpentry and get references for when i worked on the tools. It was made easier as still worked for same firm.

May well be worth a shot at. Speak to an agent about it and they can advise the best way.

good luck

Sounds harsh. Have you done the EILTS English test? This would give you an extra 10 points which would take you to 95 and then you could get state sponsorship? Have you spoken to an agent? He would keep you right.

Best of luck

Wendy

Guest halfadozen

Hi Wendy

Thanks for your reply. We have 25 points allowance for English but assume this is the max as we are English Citizens. Are you saying that a test can also be sat to get an extra 10 points or is the extra 10 already within the 25?

Many thanks, Carrie

I think you'll find that you used to get 25 points for english assuming you're english citizens. I think it is now 15 and you can get the extra 10 by sitting the EILTS test. Sorry, I know this doesn't help any.

If I'm wrong will somebody please correct me.

Wendy

Guest soggy
    I think you'll find that you used to get 25 points for english assuming you're english citizens. I think it is now 15 and you can get the extra 10 by sitting the EILTS test. Sorry, I know this doesn't help any.

If I'm wrong will somebody please correct me.

Wendy

Hi,

you used to get 20 points for being a citizen from and English speaking country, now it's 15 but you can get 25 points if you score high enough in the IELTS.:)

Simon

Guest halfadozen

Thanks Wendy & Soggy for your replies. Have now contacted a new Agent who we will speak to on Monday and they have said the same as you. Hoping this new Agent will put us on the right track as we are not happy with the one we are using. As soon as we got the negative response from vetassess they have gone very cold with us and we seem to be doing all the running round ourselves.

Has anyone sat the tests required for plumbing and if so could they give us an idea what is expected.

Thanks again.

Guest Taylors08

My OH is due to do the test for plumbing on the 15th July... Ive got everything crossed!!!

If you havent got any info on it by then we could help if you have please pass it on..

Many Thanks

Guest halfadozen

Taylors08

Good luck with the test, let us know how it goes if you don't mind and if I get any further response I'll let you know. ;)

Thanks, Carrie