julie-ruth

Am I going mad

Am I going mad is it me or is the UK going mad, this is going to be about my daughters,in the space of one week I've had the local primary school pressuring me to get my daughter into more athletic's I don't mind but the athletic's was five hours long my daughter doing 3 races, they provided no extra water or protection from the sun. I originally said no to do the races as last year they clashed with so many other things my other children were doing,my daughter ended in tears as I missed seeing her run.

So I was hounded in the playground why isn't your child doing the athletics, why can't you put the same amount of effort into this activity as you do making your child swim. Couldn't believe my ears my daughter swam for the school the month before did well and the school was full of praises now their turning the tables on me. My daughters swim twice a week and hour each time. They also do gym, drama club, brownies, tennis and the occasional playing in the garden when we are in for five minutes. Anyway losing the plot when I was at swimming last night I was told that my 12 year old daughter having a period was no excuse not to swim she is to use 2 swimming costumes or sanitary products I don't feel that is suitible for such a young child.

I hope its not going to be like this is Adelaide just because my girls are good at their sports people are going to put me under pressure to put them under pressure to be totally addicted to a sport. Does anyone else have this problem or is it me !!

I had this with Ballet also and we had to walk away this time of year is always bad so much going on.

Hiya

my youngest fits in soccer, hockey, sax lesson, ballet 2lessons, tap lesson,contemporary 2 lessons, jazz, modern, dance company, scouts and interact(junior rotary)....oh and homework. This is all of her choosing and she keeps up her school work. she has always been like this and never have we come across any comments like you have mentioned. The only thing some of her dance teachers say to her is that she has talent and to get the most out of it she has to push herself. The place she learns ballet from is great, it's small and the teacher doesn't mind the older girls wearing dance shorts over the leotards if they feel the need. If your kids want to take up ballet again then try Panache in Blackwood when you get here.

You will always get competetive kids and parents in any place but there is a BIG emphasis here on sport for kids being fun and behaviour codes for parents are usually handed out at school. My daughter's friend was very good at athletics, was on the school and club teams but never had any pressure either, only a phone call to say that no one had beaten her record yet if she wanted to come back(to club)

OMG! Your children seem to do so much more than mine and I have a hard job keeping up with them. My two dauthers swim for our local club twice or three times a week and do galas whenever they get the chance. They had to give up brownies because it clashed with swimming, but it was their choice to give up brownies - they could have still gone and just done one less swimming session. It's me who can't keep up with them. They do dance/drama or whatever the school offers after school, but apart from that it's hard as I work 5 days a week and trying to pick one up from school at one time and another half an hour later is just not on.

I've never had any pressure from the school for them to do any more. I've also never had any pressure from the swimming club if they aren't there for whatever reason. Julie - looks like our daughters have something else in common now. I'll get Nicola & Catherine to send yours a message only it won't be this weekend - swimming gala tomorow am, pm and sunday am too. I'm exhausted just watching!

Wendy

Oh thanks for the reply its been eating me up all day, I want my girls to enjoy lots of different sports/activities like yours but it seems over here or in my neighbourhood each activitity wants my children exclusively, activities is good, competitive is good, my bind in the pressure teachers and sports coaches apply on kids and parents, I remember when the girls did ballet the teacher said to parents to get another Job if they care about their kids so they can have the right costume/kit for dances/shows etc... its mad I suppose it's like everything else in life it all comes down to making money... I looking forward to the girls trying new things, the girls are good swimmers I hoping for them to try some of the water activities in Adelaide.

Guest Aussie pat

No, you're not going mad. As a mum with kids of a similar age to yours I can understand your concerns. As parents I think it's only right that we question things if our instincts tell us something isn't right. We don't have to blindly follow the mob unless we are comfortable to do so. Kids also need time to potter and play. Otherwise they won't know it's ok to relax and chill in the future and will rely too much on structured activities to fill in their time. I think this is a recipe for burn out. I always check with my kids to see how they feel about things and then try to establish a sense of balance. I'm not a perfect parent by any means but think we sometimes undervalue the importance of our 'gut' feelings.

Guest graandjac

:shocked:Sounds like lots of kids do lots of things to me , we have had the oponion that its not always best to let them do everything , We let them choose one or two things and they then have to commit to that activity ,not back out half way through . Iam all for giving them opportunities but some times its to much and as parents we are mot here to just spend the whole week running around after our kids . Does sound over the top pushing them like that , i think your right to feel the way you do.

Cheers Graham

yes I agree that kids need time to chill in the park, backyard and with their friends. My kids did only 1 sport each season and scouts when they were younger and the girls had a dance lesson aswell on a sat. However as my daughter's first choice of career is dance of some kind then the training she needs to achieve this only increases as she gets older. It is her passion though and her choice, she has many friends across all the dance classes she does and is old enough to rationalise her choice. Yes I spend a lot of time in the car now but it can be good one on one time, sometimes the only time you get as your children grow into older teens.