495 visa, can anyone answer my queries please?

Guest Deb17

Guest Deb17

Oh for Gawd's sake! I made hubby go to TAFE for six months to get his qualification! At a cost of $13,500!!!! I am so going to tear them off a strip if I ever get hold of one of these measly bureaucrats! How dare they chop and change the rules to suit themselves...I could have bought a new car with that money! Or used it towards a deposit for a house we can no longer afford because of their stupid rules! Anything a gazillion times more useful than making sure he has a blasted stupid certificate to his name.

Guest stufi1997

Bloody hell Deb you just don't have any luck eh? You sure you didn't do something really bad in a previous life.....chin up at least you can apply for PR, Fiona

Guest Deb17

Certificate III in Retail Bakery - now he's a baker for Woolies! Woo hoo! Only good thing about that (as the wages are totally ropey) is the 5% discount I get on my shopping. As if that makes any difference when everything's so expensive. 13 grand would have purchased an awful lot of steak!

Guest Nick11
Oh for Gawd's sake! I made hubby go to TAFE for six months to get his qualification! At a cost of $13,500!!!! I am so going to tear them off a strip if I ever get hold of one of these measly bureaucrats! How dare they chop and change the rules to suit themselves...I could have bought a new car with that money! Or used it towards a deposit for a house we can no longer afford because of their stupid rules! Anything a gazillion times more useful than making sure he has a blasted stupid certificate to his name.

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Guest jill wright
Certificate III in Retail Bakery - now he's a baker for Woolies! Woo hoo! Only good thing about that (as the wages are totally ropey) is the 5% discount I get on my shopping. As if that makes any difference when everything's so expensive. 13 grand would have purchased an awful lot of steak!

Hi Deb I was really interested reading this post cos my hubby is a baker and is the main applicant. He hasn't any certificates though but has passed the skills assessment no problem with his twenty years experience. Do you think he will have a problem finding a job cos when I look on the careerone website there seems to be loads. Also could you give me an idea of the wage is it about $16 per hour roughly

Thanks in advance Jill (we too are going on sir 475 too)x

Guest Deb17

Hi Jill,

Your hubby shouldn't have any problems getting a job. If he applies to Woolworths, Coles, Brumby's, IGA, Baker's Delight etc. he will get something for sure. If I were him I would go online and start looking now. Bakers are supposed to be in demand, but having said that, the wages aren't brilliant. My hubby gets a shift allowance for working nights so it works out at about $24 an hour for Woolies employees on a 38 hour week. (I know Baker's Delight are supposed to have a poor reputation for wages so I'd leave applying to them till last.) On paper this doesn't look too bad but a third of his wage goes out in tax, leaving us less than $700 a week...and that's for four of us to survive on, with high rents, high food costs and spiralling petrol prices. I don't mind telling people this either, because you need to be warned that you will need a lot more than this amount per week to achieve a fair standard of living, which is why it really needs two incomes to survive out here, (unless you arrive doshed up with your pockets overflowing with hundred dollar bills, that is...then you'll be fine, whatever.)

I hope this has been of some use.

All the best,

Deb x

Guest Deb17

I think it's the same for everyone isn't it? Flat rate at 30 percent or something like that. Then you do your tax forms and claim (hopefully) a lot of it back. Silly system though. Why can't they organize P.A.Y.E. tax codes like they did at 'home'?

Guest jill wright

Hi looking on this website it shows that non residents pay more tax can anyone clarify please as we are going on sir 475 temp visa which would I think be classed as non residency. I'm almost certain I've read on a previous thread you pay the same tax on a temp visa as someone with PR

Jill

Guest Django
Hi looking on this website it shows that non residents pay more tax can anyone clarify please as we are going on sir 475 temp visa which would I think be classed as non residency. I'm almost certain I've read on a previous thread you pay the same tax on a temp visa as someone with PR

Jill

Hi Jill you will classed as a resident. Here's what the site says....

The residency tests the Tax office uses to determine your residency status for tax purposes are not the same as those used by other Australian agencies for other purposes such as immigration.

Generally, you are an Australian resident for tax purposes if you have:

• always lived in Australia
  • moved to Australia and live here permanently
  • been in Australia continuously for six months or more and for most of the time you have been
    • in the one job and
    • living in the same place, or

[*]been in Australia for more than half of the financial year, unless

• your usual home is overseas, and
    • you do not intend to live in Australia.

Guest monicadoherty

We were advised by our agent to tick non resident on the tax form. After having been here 1 year we have found out we should have ticked resident.We have paid a wack in tax and should get a tidy sum back ...whey hey....I thought there was something amiss.....very happy now