antlet

Which year?

Can anyone shed any light on what year my daughter will go into? she will begin the school year January '09 (we arrive November). Presently we live in Ireland and I know the system is a little different to the UK one. She is 14 in july, and if he were to stay here she would go into 2nd Year secondary, having finished primary at age 13 and completed year 1 of secondary to date.

I effect if she wre to remain here she would have 2 more school years before doing her Junior Certificate (GCSE) and a further 2 years then before her leaving Certificate (A levels)

Any help is greatly received!

Guest sarahsmartiepants

My daughter was almost 14 when we arrived and she went into yr 9. They can leave school at the end of yr10 with no exams or stay to do yrs11 &12 and get the SACE, which is the equivilant of A levels...these are needed for uni. There is no equivilant of GCSEs.

sarah

If your daughter is 14 in July, she would probably go into yr 10 in Jan 09, but they may put her in yr 9 as she has only done 1 yr of secondary and only a bit of 2nd yr by the time you get here. The school leaving age was raised and they have to be 16 to leave school permanently. They can leave at the end of yr 10 but if not 16 they have to be in some sort of training until they are.

Guest Deb17

I agree, she probably will go straight into Year 10. I don't think they'd put her into Year 9 anyway because of her age, but also I suspect with the higher educational standards in Ireland, she will be ahead of the Aussie kids academically anyway. My son went to a fairly bog standard primary in England but after completing Year 7 they decided he knew too much and bumped him up to Year 9. (And I'm definitely not bragging - I don't see much evidence of intelligence as I barely get a coherent sentence out of him, he just grunts.)