Jump to content
  • Sign Up
Mrs Maggie

Advice/Knowledge on having rental property in UK

Recommended Posts


I wonder if anyone can help or point me in the right direction...

We are looking at emigrating and different options - one which we have is that we rent our property out in the UK so we have some income in Oz.  I wondered if anyone currently does this and if so is do you have to pay tax etc in the UK/Oz for this income ?

Any advice info would be gratefully received. :)


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites


Assuming when in Australia you are permanent residents (as opposed to temporary) then the typical tax treatment here is pretty much no different to owning an investment property here, broadly income less allowable expenses are taxable at applicable marginal tax rates.

Tax may be payable in the UK however in most cases the UK tax free allowance mean none is due, if UK tax is payable then typically that can be offset against tax due in Australia.

This should also assist: https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/International-tax-for-individuals/Investing-overseas/Rental-income-from-overseas-property/ 



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By continuing to use our site, you accept our use of cookies, revised Privacy Policy and Terms of Use