Guest Amelia&Fred

495 - Important Tax File Number Info

Guest Amelia&Fred

Hello 495/potential 495 visa people...

We recently arrived in Adelaide and applied for our tax file numbers... they came through as "non-resident" status... which means you pay more tax. This is a computer error... if you go in to the tax office (91, Waymouth Street), they'll change it for you to "resident" status.

Hope that helps!

Amelia and Fred

http://www.funkeldink.com

Guest stufi1997

I phoned the tax office and if you write to them they'll change it, But they told me it's ok just to sign the declaration for your employer that you're resident for tax purposes when you fill in the tax file forms for employment. Don't actually need to get it changed on the bit of paper they said. Fiona

Guest monicadoherty

If I have been classed as a non resident then for 1 year will I get a lot of tax back that I have been paying out as extra?????

Guest Amelia&Fred

I've no idea but i reckon it is worth checking out and buy yourself something nice!!!!! :err:

Go in to the tax office - they're really nice in there and you never have to wait long - i love it here!!!!

Amelia and Fred

http://www.funkeldink.com

If I have been classed as a non resident then for 1 year will I get a lot of tax back that I have been paying out as extra?????

I certainly hope so as I have this problem too after getting bad advice! :mad:

Guest melbourneben

I think im still classed as a non resident however when I started my current job 8 months ago I selected resident on my tax form and ever since iver paid standard tax.

remember if your in aus for more than 6 months your classed as a resident for tax purposes.