hi- fi sound quality

sueoc

hi,does anyone know if my hi-fi separates and speakers will produce the same quality running off Aussie electricity supply.Will sound be affected?Not as silly a question as you might think,if you read what hi fi ,many different things will affect sound quality including supply of electricity from one country to another.

Guest sarahsmartiepants

You might need to explain that a bit more I read and re read it . Do you think the power supply will alter the sound that comes out of the speakers? (mind you it is early my brain may not be understnading!!)

sarah

Guest Guzzler&Sas
hi,does anyone know if my hi-fi separates and speakers will produce the same quality running off Aussie electricity supply.Will sound be affected?

You are right you may get a few different noises coming out from them in the way of

AC/DC, Men at Work, Midnight Oil, Cold Chisel and the Proclaimers:err:, besides that they will work fine,

Guzzler

Guest cornish Busdriver

Are you being serious !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Electricity does not effect sound quality as speakers are not live and only the material you are playing or the system you are playing it on can effect sound quality.

Are you being serious !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Electricity does not effect sound quality as speakers are not live and only the material you are playing or the system you are playing it on can effect sound quality.

You're not entirely correct, I'm afraid. How "clean" your electricity supply is will have an effect on the quality of the sound produced. The speakers themselves may not be affected, as you suggest, but any components that are plugged into the mains could be, eg. amp, DVD player etc. Large server rooms and data centres also have clean AC supplies.

Many of the better surge protectors also clean the AC input (look at boards from Monster, Isotek or even Belkin) but you can spend silly money on some of the best ones so you'll need to weigh up whether your HiFi system is worth it. If you do decide to buy, I'd also advise doing so before you come over as anything you consider will almost certainly cost heaps more over here. You'll need to hang onto your current leads but you'll only have a single plug to change over here.

J.

• 3 weeks later...
hi,does anyone know if my hi-fi separates and speakers will produce the same quality running off Aussie electricity supply.Will sound be affected?Not as silly a question as you might think,if you read what hi fi ,many different things will affect sound quality including supply of electricity from one country to another.

The supply voltage 230 and hertz rating 50 are the same as the UK so the answer to this question is it won't be affected. Paul ( sparky )

Guest marty

You should not get any bad sound or problems from your Hi Fi as long as it is reasonably new, whilst the voltage here is 230v 50HZ ETSA, the supply company is allowed to vary the voltage to a low of 217v and a high of 252v, if your Hi Fi has a voltage range of 100v-260v as the new ones do no problems but if it is an old model with a range 230v - 250v you may have some problems especialy at night when the off peaf tarriff kicks in as our voltage normally drops then along with the hot days when everyone has air con running. If you have an european model where the frquency is 60Hz the motors in the CD drive will spin a little faster, you wont notice it but it will.