The end of term approach-eth

Guest Libby1971

Guest Libby1971

I am teaching Shakespeare to year 9 at the moment...and I am not confident at all about what I am doing.

There, said it!

However on a more positive note, I am gearing myself up for a return to the coffee morning circuit. I was a regular participant during my successful coach potato phase. Now that hubbie is a better wife than I ever was or ever will be, there is no excuse like "I have to sort the house" coz he has done it :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy: - wonderful man! I am free, free, free to indulge.

So in short, where am I going? Whose house is it at first? Or are you lot coming to mine? And when? What do I bring?

Waiting eagerly, having missed my ladies who coffee and lunch an awful lot:(

Libby

Guest Libby1971

Oh, now there's a good idea. Shakespeare's plays, sonnets or speeches re-written with a coffee morning twist...

Caroline's started.

I say Much Ado About Teabags

Libby

Guest caroline&paul

The Merchant of Venice

The Quality of Coffee is not strain'd

it droppeth as the gentle rain from heaven

upon the place beneath, it is twice blend

it blesseth her that gives and her that take's

come on ladies

Caroline

Guest Django
I am teaching Shakespeare to year 9 at the moment

May I be controversial for a moment.......:unsure:.......

Why???

I don't know why they teach it in schools here let alone in the states or Oz. After all its a different language and bored people read it to find hidden meanings in phrases that really aren't there.

There I've said it and now I've said it I'm gonna get out quickly while the going is good. Batten down the hatches, put on tin hat ride out the storm of abuse I'm bound to get. :biglaugh::biglaugh:

Pete

Hi when does your school break up and for how long? my kids are breaking up in just over three weeks, thank goodness we are worn out with the extra evening activities that the summer brings along (think I've spoken of this before) we live by the seaside and hoping to spend much of it by the beach relaxing. Sounds like you will be doing something similar, enjoy.

Julie

Oh, now there's a good idea. Shakespeare's plays, sonnets or speeches re-written with a coffee morning twist...

Caroline's started.

I say Much Ado About Teabags

Libby

How about "Is this a teapot which I see before me? The handle toward my hand?" Good old Macbeth! Or "A Hobnob, a Hobnob! My Kingdom for a Hobnob!" Richard III???:biglaugh: Reckon it's your turn Lib to have a coffee morning. Name your date love and I'll bring the Timtams!

Guest Libby1971

I am responding to all the comments in one post...if it doesn't make sense, you should not have confused me!:biglaugh:

I have no idea why the Australians teach Shakespeare but I believe it has a valuable place as an example of historical literary excellence. I personally love it, I have a number of collections of sonnets plus various plays on film, and in book form. My dad liked it and it's a love I've inherited.

I also like it coz words that might creep in to use in UK are not known here. Like eating you out of house and home...my class today had never heard that expression whereas we use it alot. This makes up for the fact that I didn't know what a shaslik was, or a snag, or a swag or a damper, or a yiros. And no, none of them are forms of currency!:biglaugh:

As for coffee morns, I am of course delighted to throw my doors open wide. I am shocked to hear, yes shocked indeed, :shocked:to hear that the 2 week hols are not awash with sparkling coffee morns.

School hols last 2 weeks as I mentioned already. We started back after the last hols on 28th April and there is no half term.

As for too much time on my hands, well I am hoping to find some!!! In the last 2 weeks I have had to write reports for 120 girls I have known 8 weeks, I have had to finish marking 8 assignments that were handed in 3 days before reports were started, including marking all of these in 2 different formats as the systems are changing. I have organised, and led an overnight retreat for 22 girls and 3 staff including compile a programme, locate and purchase necessary resources, deal with catering problems, and medical emergencies. On top of which the semester has changed, so I have a new timetable, new classes, a new set of names to learn, new topics so new planning and still have to find a way to set an example when I look like a corpse. This is just my working life.:goofy: I do like my job, and it is not always as chaotic as this, but with the end of term looming on the horizon like a glorious vibrant scarlet sunset, I am looking forward to seeing my friends. I have of course not ignored them over the last few weeks but the chances to have a quick cuppa are few and far between.

Liz, I am looking forward to a really good catch up.

And I know that all those comments and questions were just to distract me from the coffee morning themed Shakespeare...let's get back on track.

"Shall I compare thee to a summer's day? A tearose by any other name would smell as sweet"

Guest Guzzler&Sas

wow girls, I feel like an ignoramous because I can't quote Wills - but I love him! However, I managed to get the above word in, probably spelt wrong, but I think I am right in saying, the old Bill Shakes was responsible for that one?

Anyway, wish I was having a holiday too and could join you, but alas, I cannot! Raise an Earl Grey for me!

Cheers

:wubclub:

Sas

xxx

Guest Nick11
I am responding to all the comments in one post...if it doesn't make sense, you should not have confused me!:biglaugh:

I have no idea why the Australians teach Shakespeare but I believe it has a valuable place as an example of historical literary excellence. I personally love it, I have a number of collections of sonnets plus various plays on film, and in book form. My dad liked it and it's a love I've inherited.

I also like it coz words that might creep in to use in UK are not known here. Like eating you out of house and home...my class today had never heard that expression whereas we use it alot. This makes up for the fact that I didn't know what a shaslik was, or a snag, or a swag or a damper, or a yiros. And no, none of them are forms of currency!:biglaugh:

As for coffee morns, I am of course delighted to throw my doors open wide. I am shocked to hear, yes shocked indeed, :shocked:to hear that the 2 week hols are not awash with sparkling coffee morns.

School hols last 2 weeks as I mentioned already. We started back after the last hols on 28th April and there is no half term.

As for too much time on my hands, well I am hoping to find some!!! In the last 2 weeks I have had to write reports for 120 girls I have known 8 weeks, I have had to finish marking 8 assignments that were handed in 3 days before reports were started, including marking all of these in 2 different formats as the systems are changing. I have organised, and led an overnight retreat for 22 girls and 3 staff including compile a programme, locate and purchase necessary resources, deal with catering problems, and medical emergencies. On top of which the semester has changed, so I have a new timetable, new classes, a new set of names to learn, new topics so new planning and still have to find a way to set an example when I look like a corpse. This is just my working life.:goofy: I do like my job, and it is not always as chaotic as this, but with the end of term looming on the horizon like a glorious vibrant scarlet sunset, I am looking forward to seeing my friends. I have of course not ignored them over the last few weeks but the chances to have a quick cuppa are few and far between.

Liz, I am looking forward to a really good catch up.

And I know that all those comments and questions were just to distract me from the coffee morning themed Shakespeare...let's get back on track.

"Shall I compare thee to a summer's day? A tearose by any other name would smell as sweet"

Me thinks the lady doth protest too much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been waiting to use that line all day (teee heee)

Guest Guzzler&Sas
humour for the thesbians - love it! Shame I can't keep up ...

:wubclub:

Sas

xxx

Thesbians, now you've got my interest,:Randy-git:

Guzzler

Guest Deb17
Me thinks the lady doth protest too much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been waiting to use that line all day (teee heee)

Absolutely! Now who sounds like the whingeing pom Libby? Remember, some of us would push our granny off a cliff to be in your position - in paid employment, with a SALARY. Ah, yes, those were the days...:unsure: But now...

'...my way of life

Is fallen into the sear, the yellow leaf;

And that which should accompany old age,

As honour, love, obedience, troops of friends,

I must not look to have...'

Oh dear. Now I'm really getting depressed. :err:

Guest Libby1971

Deb :notworthy::notworthy: Awesome, I am totally impressed!

Nick, I might have known you'd have something to say!!

Guzzler, get a dictionary, my sweet, you're thinking of something completely different and this isn't the thread for that sort of thing :biglaugh:

And I love every second of my job. Yes I am tired, yes I am a walking zombie but I love being in a classroom. I hate the rubbish and the paperwork outside of it, but I like teaching. I am very fortunate indeed to have a job teaching the subject I like...took me a year to get it but it worked out.

Hang in there, so easy for me to say but very sincerely meant!!!

Libby

Guest Guzzler&Sas
Guzzler, get a dictionary, my sweet, you're thinking of something completely different and this isn't the thread for that sort of thing :biglaugh:

Libby

Bugger, bugger, bugger