Sign in to follow this  
Guest Aaron

457 Temporary business long stay visa and residency

Guest Aaron

Hey all, im on a 457 Temporary business long stay visa for 2 years and was wondering if there is any way or gaining residency with this visa. I really want to stay beyond the 2 years i have but hopefully want more freedom to change to the career i have a degree in. Im really settled here and have been with my ozzie GF for 14 months and have made tons of great friends and cant see myself going back to london.

Any ideas or advise would be awesome guys.

Looking into seeing a migration aget soon to see what i can do but though i'd ask here first so i have some idea of things to look into.

Aaron

Guest ems

Hi Aaron.

I'm not 100% how it all works but i will be coming to Adelaide on the 457 visa in January and we have been told by the hospital that they will put us through for PR after 3 months. Have you asked the company you are currently working for about this? They might be able to help. Once you have PR maybe you could then change your job (depending on wether or not there is clause to the company putting you through for PR).

Hopefully someone will be able to give you a more definate answer. Good luck with it all.

Emma.

Guest Aaron

The HR at my current job is all new to it as i was the first person they ever sponsored so im not sure. I'll look into it though. I have called the dept of citizenship etc about stuff but they seem to have no idea and all they do is read from the website which in itself is very brief for this visa.

Thanx for the quick reply, i'll def look into that tomorrow.

Guest ems

Isn't it great when the people who are meant to know the answers to questions just don't have a clue. Hope you get it sorted soon.

Guest melbourneben

The 457 visa has no option to upgrade or transfer to PR as far as I know. The way I see it you have 2 options:

1. Ask your employer to sponsor you for PR

2. If your living with your girlfriend you'd be classed as a co-habiting couple and could gain PR that way I think.

Hope this helps.

Guest thebaddeleys

hi there,

can i ask how long did it take for your 457 visa to go through? your company sponsored you, yes?

Was it 6-12 weeks as thats what the company that is sponsoring my husband is telling us?

Thanks in advance

kerry

Guest dave&jacky

Hi Kerry

I have a 457 visa and it took just over 8 weeks my agent told me that was the quickest they have had andit is normally around 12 weeks.

Cheers Dave

Guest Andrew Rose

If the company will sponsor you, the the Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme is an option. Tied to the employer for another 2 years once granted, but conditions are laxer (eg I'm over the age, but no matter, we applied before we'd been here 2 years, again no matter).

12 weeks sounds about right, but thats from application for the visa. First the employer has to be approved as a sponsor, which takes time even if they are your 457 sponsor, then the job has to be approved as suitable for the RSMS, then you apply for the visa. Take an agents advice (will your employer pay for the agent? try to sell it to them as speeding the process and boosting your morale, and keeping you with them), there are other options, but the fewer conditions, the harder to get.

I can recommend a good agent, and it doesn't matter that he's in Perth. If you go RSMS/857 message me for advice if you like.

Guest kenmcfadyen
    hi there,

can i ask how long did it take for your 457 visa to go through? your company sponsored you, yes?

Was it 6-12 weeks as thats what the company that is sponsoring my husband is telling us?

Thanks in advance

kerry

Hi Kerry, if you look at my time below my signature, you'll see how short it can take for a 457.

Ken