Sign in to follow this  
Guest Taylors08

Question about Visa's

Guest Taylors08

Can anyone pase give us a bit of advice... We were planning on going to Oz on a 175 perm visa, my OH is doing the Vetassess in July. But we are now thinking we might go over on a 475 state spon as it gets processed quicker. And apply for a perm visa once we are over there. Does anyone know if this is possible? Or would you advise waiting it out for a 175??

Thanks

Kelly

Guest stufi1997

We thought about applying for the PR visa now that we're here... since Stu's trade went on the MODL the week after we applied for our SIR495. But we haven't bothered as I'm not really certain it would make a great deal of difference to us....We intend to wait for a while to buy a house, mainly cos we're not sure where we'll settle, we've only got 1 child eligible for child benefit, we like the place we're at for now....so spending another $2000 for the priviledge of applying for a PR visa right now is not high on the list of priorities, But theoretically yes you can do it, you just need to be out of the country when it's granted I think.....Fiona

Guest Taylors08

Hi Thank you for your reply.

Can you just help me out.. What are the benefits of a perm visa rather than a Sponsored visa??

We have 2 children, and are planning on another. I understand the perm visa is obviously more secure.

Thanks for your help i know this might sound a bid stupid im just a bit worried on which way to go about it all.

Guest stufi1997

If you can I would go for the PR 175...we couldn't when we started as Stu's job wasn't on the MODL and age was against us to wait.

With PR you get all the benefits of an aussie....restrictions on a 495 (it's called something else now) are you must live for 2 years and work (at least 35 hours a week) for 1 year in regional Australia before you can apply for PR, you can't claim benefits like child benefit or other tax benefits, you can't get the first home buyers grant until you get PR (about $7000 i think), mostly things you can't do really....if I were you I would definately apply for 175 visa... it's a 2 stage process: tra(or whatever ,depending on your quals) and visa....it takes longer but then you cut out one of the stages of the 495...applying for state sponsorship, which took us about 1 month. All in all a better visa for only slightly longer length of waiting....hope I haven't rambled on too much, Fiona

Guest stufi1997

P.S. You also qualify for the $5000 baby bonus if you're a PR when you have a new baby.....

Guest Taylors08

Hi Fiona,

Many thanks for your reply..

Yeah i think the replies i've read everyone recommend going for the 175 perm visa. I think with kids and hopefully one on the way, this is the visa we should go for. Hubby is a plumber and he's booked for his trade test on the 15th July and we are filling in the paper application to transfer to online as soon as he gets the results. (fingers crossed) Whats this baby grant? And do you know what would happen if i came over pregnant? with regard to medical care?

Many Thanks

Kelly

Guest stufi1997

Hiya Kelly, I've been looking into this because my sister and her family have applied for 175 in April and she's discovered she's pregnant again.....If you have the baby here, once you have the visa, you are eligible for the new baby bonus of $5000 after 1st July 2008, this is just a grant you get cause it's expensive having a new baby.....The maternity care is apparently very good, some say better than in the UK. If you have the visa granted and the baby is born in the UK after that you need to apply for a child visa which costs again but a formality....If you apply for the visa and then find you are pregnant before you have the meds,you can get an extension and wait for the baby to come so you can all have your meds done together (x-rays for pregnant mums hold it up)Don't know if any of this makes sense......had a few now, not very good at organising my thoughts after 2 glasses of the red stuff....Fiona

Guest Taylors08

Hi Fiona,

Yeah that makes sense and it helps alot.. Thank you..

One more.. Do you know what happens if i come over pregnant with regard to medical cover? I understand that you have to be paying into medicare for 12months before they will cover a pregnancy, is this right? And if so what would happen then or what would be the best option?

Also has your sister had her medicals?? Wish we'd got our visa application in, in April.. I hate waiting!!!!

Thank you

Kelly x