Guest proctor3069

Motor Mechanic Hand tools

Guest proctor3069

Hi

I am a motor mechanic and will be needing to bring all of my tools across including a tall tool box for my job, which all may be contaminated with oil and grease does anyone know if this will cause a problem - I can see myself cleaning for the forseable future any advice will be helpfull!

Also can you buy Snapon and Facom tools etc. in Oz and are the guarantees valid?

Thanks again

Daz & Tammy

Hi, cant answer your question, but we would be interested in advice given to you. My partner is a mechanic too and does not relish the idea of cleaning his tools. Told him about what i had read on hear, having everything clean and using jeyes fluid. He says some tools have to have oil on them to keep them maintained.

PS when are you going to oz

Guest lippy

Hi

My OH is a mechanic. He bought one of the tool cleaners (little tub thing) from Machine mart and used this to clean his tools - didn't use any jeyes fluid! and we had no problem at quarantine. For his boxes he touched up any rusty areas and replaced the rubber matting on the top - again no probs. Just try and get them as clean as possible.

You can buy snapon tools here and warranty is valid.

Hope this helps

Julie

Guest proctor3069

Hi thanks any way, we are going on holiday next May just to be certain of areas, then if all ok we will be applying for our visa when we get back. It s a bit nerve racking as we have a 22 month old daughter but i am sure we will be wanting to get out of Manchester asap !! We are just trying to get as much info as possible to help us out.

Daz and Tammy

Guest proctor3069
    Hi

My OH is a mechanic. He bought one of the tool cleaners (little tub thing) from Machine mart and used this to clean his tools - didn't use any jeyes fluid! and we had no problem at quarantine. For his boxes he touched up any rusty areas and replaced the rubber matting on the top - again no probs. Just try and get them as clean as possible.

You can buy snapon tools here and warranty is valid.

Hope this helps

Julie

Hi Julie

Thanks for the info as was having a horrible thought about scrubbing every spanner etc .

Can i ask did your OH have a job lined up already or did he get one when there. If so was it easy to find a job?

Also we are going to Adelaide in May next year to have a look around the area as never been before so if there is any where you can recomend for us to see or do ie areas for houses etc that would be great (we have a 22 month old ).

Thanks again

Daz and Tammy

Hi

I am a motor mechanic and will be needing to bring all of my tools across including a tall tool box for my job, which all may be contaminated with oil and grease does anyone know if this will cause a problem - I can see myself cleaning for the forseable future any advice will be helpfull!

Also can you buy Snapon and Facom tools etc. in Oz and are the guarantees valid?

Thanks again

Daz & Tammy

hi ya im a mechanic in oz and i work for renault in nailsworth adelaide, i brought my huge tool box and snap-on tool trolley just make sure you clean the outside of toolbox i found when my box arrived it was covered in protective plastic and customs didnt look at it but make sure you have your keys handy as they might want to look inside and if your not avaliable then they can open the box them selfs with out your say so

now as for sanp-on tools you can buy them here but i found some of the tools are more money here snap-on tools are world wide guarantees but not sure about facom tools where and if you can buy them thought it was only france

alex

Guest jen&ian

Hi when we came over our packers nformed us that only tools which may be contaminated with saw/wood dust was a problem, other tools were just given a wipe and a quick spray of WD40. Ians tools all came through on that advice no problems.

Jen

Guest teamV

that looks a dodgy reply to me,although an interesting post as i'm a mechanic:D

Guest cornish Busdriver

i used a bucket full of degreaser, left the to soke for 20 min the drained off cand sprayed them all with wd40. Didnt have any probs with quantine