Guest Trakki

singapore airlines and a baby

Guest Trakki

Was looking at flights (fingers crossed will be booking them soon) and on singapore airlines web site you cannot book under 2's on. I phoned and they said to book me, Pete and the 3 children on then phone to add the baby on. Has anyone done this as am worried that I will do this and phone and they won't let me add him on. :goofy: Any advice welcome. I have also been told that phoning to do the booking will cost alot more.:arghh:

Thanks in advance

Guest woody crew
    Was looking at flights (fingers crossed will be booking them soon) and on singapore airlines web site you cannot book under 2's on. I phoned and they said to book me, Pete and the 3 children on then phone to add the baby on. Has anyone done this as am worried that I will do this and phone and they won't let me add him on. :goofy: Any advice welcome. I have also been told that phoning to do the booking will cost alot more.:arghh:

Thanks in advance

singapore airlines are very good, i would trust them!

we used them last year and i had to do 2 bookings as there were 9 of us going on a trip . that worked out ok

good luck and enjoy yr new life

Guest Guzzler&Sas

Hi Tracey,

We had to do the same a couple of years ago with Singapore airlines, I booked us online and then phoned to add our youngest it will not cost you any different on the phone and most of the infants fare is made up of taxes, you will get less baggage allowance for the little one, we had 40kg and the baby had 20kg,

Good luck

Guzzler

but there are some items such as your baby's stroller and nappies etc which will not be counted in the weight, so 20 kg is actually quite a lot for a baby. Check their reguls as to what stuff you are allowed extra for the baby. Saw 1 family with a huge box of nappies on a flight once. If they dont weigh it you could fill it with other stuff :D

Just a thought Tracey, could you possibly stretch to buying a seat for the baby? It's just such a long trip and having a wriggly baby on your lap for 27 hours or so might be too much. Or would you get a sky cot? We booked a seat for our youngest as we didn't want him on our laps and we took the car seats with us onto the plane so that the kids would sleep better (I'm pausing here so you can all have a belly laugh at our expense.... first leg they slept like angels, second leg - awake and giving everybody hell). Alternatively, buy a big bottle of Phenergan!:biglaugh:

Guest woody crew

Thanks in advance

Hi tracey,

When we went for our reccie, we had a stop off and it was no more to the flights!!! but felt beta for us and we had 3 kids with us 1 of them under 3. she was as good as gold . but to be honest she is good no matter where we are! but we (the adults were glad of the break!!:err:

Would you not consider stopping for at least a night in singapore and having a night and 1/2 day there if not for the experience but for the rest from those plane seats!

then yr connecting flight would probally be a night flight and hopefully the kids will sleep,

breaks the flight up then also

good luck with whatever you choose to do in the end, It up to you !!!:huh:

Guest Trakki
    Just a thought Tracey, could you possibly stretch to buying a seat for the baby? It's just such a long trip and having a wriggly baby on your lap for 27 hours or so might be too much. Or would you get a sky cot? We booked a seat for our youngest as we didn't want him on our laps and we took the car seats with us onto the plane so that the kids would sleep better (I'm pausing here so you can all have a belly laugh at our expense.... first leg they slept like angels, second leg - awake and giving everybody hell). Alternatively, buy a big bottle of Phenergan!:biglaugh:

It really wouldn't be worth getting him a seat as he would not sit on it and I think it would be more of a hinderence, he turns 1 on Sunday and doesn't stay still, I think I will spend my time walking up and down the plane with him!! If he does fall asleep we will make him a nest on the floor and put him on that. The sky cot I think would be too small as he weighs 22lb. Bottle of Phenergan already on the list!!!

Hi tracey,

Would you not consider stopping for at least a night in singapore and having a night and 1/2 day there

We have looked at doing a stop over but just paying for the hotel rooms (would need 2) seems to be rather expensive, unless anyone can reccommend a cheaper but good one, looked at the marriott but that worked out as over £400 a night, we are going on a very limited budget so I think we will just go straight through.

Thankyou everyone for your replies, much appreciated.

I don't think they'll allow you to build a nest on the floor, due to the possibility of turbulence (and I don't mean from the baby!). I took an 11-month old over in 1989, and we had a bassinet on the wall opposite us. It worked very well, apart from when 11-month old Stephanie escaped from the straps and divebombed head first towards the floor. A combination of hastily flung out arms and legs saved her.

Hi Trakkie... I feel for you - we're about to do a reccie on Sat till end of Aug [mainly to get visa stamped cos can't sell our damn house!!] - we're about to travel with 3 little uns and the baby has just decided this week to try and walk at 10 months:arghh:... we're still gonna have a bassinet though even though he weighs about 26lbs:huh:... just to save our legs! I remember last time we went to Oz our eldest was 13months and weighed a ton [not literally] but we still got a bassinet just for the option of plonking her in . Must admit it was a big help cos it's a mighty long flight but her legs hung over the edge of it ! We did get some funny looks though as if we were the worst parents ever!:sad:

As regards phenergan... just bought my bottle in case of emergencies with the other two! [You'll find it really hard to get over the chemist counter unless you say it's for travel sickness and nothing else works.. and you've had it before etc etc!]. All the best anyway! Jacinta

P.S. Add medised to your list for the baby!!!!:biglaugh: Wonderful stuff! I think it's got a teeny weeny bit of phenergan in it which is why it helps babies to sleep..... If needs must!

Guest deanrm

Hi All

Dont want to sound stupid, but what is this phenergan? Its the stuff that sends them to sleep? Is it siutable for 5 and 6 year old? Also, can you take it through customs???

Trisha

Guest ecmiller72

hello

cant add much here

but we have just booked flights with singapore to adelaide in oct

our baby is currently 11 months

we decided to buy him a seat

very expensive we thought - about £800 but to sit on our laps it would have been £475 so not loads of difference

we have also booked a bassinet although not sure what use it will be

we now need to get a car seat to fit the plane seat

although i hope the in flight service is better than the customer service which is appalling

each time you get a call centre in india who have no idea regarding car seats etc

anyone else have a similar experience?

as for stop overs, we have 1 night in singapore, hotels were v reasonable - <£100 for 4 star

Guest Guzzler&Sas

Hi Tracey,

Definately book a bassinet, our little one fitted in it and she was and is a tall girl, the only down side being the fact they cannot stay in it if the seatbelt signs come on,

Guzzler

Guest woody crew

We have looked at doing a stop over but just paying for the hotel rooms (would need 2) seems to be rather expensive, unless anyone can reccommend a cheaper but good one, looked at the marriott but that worked out as over £400 a night, we are going on a very limited budget so I think we will just go straight through.

Thankyou everyone for your replies, much appreciated.

Tracey, we stayed in a hotel in singapore called Perak Hotel, its about 20 mins from the airport it was a lovely clean hotel, we got a cab from the airport which cost us about 40/50ish singapore dollars (cant remember total price) the staff at hotel were really nice and it was in walking distance to the famous sim lim square and market. also just across the road Bencoolen street you have many food places. if you go into the food hall under sim lim square, you can feed the whole family for about a tenna, thats meals and drinks!:jiggy:

the rooms in the perak hotel were lovely and clean and didn't cost a fortune, we were recomended to the hotel and since other friends of ours who moved out to oz 2 months ago have also been there and would recomend it. the web site for the hotel is

http://www.peraklodge.net/

take a look

another hotel we looked at was called Bencoolen hotel

Good luck, let us know what you decide

Guest woody crew
    Hi All

Dont want to sound stupid, but what is this phenergan? Its the stuff that sends them to sleep? Is it siutable for 5 and 6 year old? Also, can you take it through customs???

Trisha

Hi ya,

yes you can take medication through customs , as long as its only 100ml or less and needs to be in a clear bag, we took medication for my little girl as she had had a bad ear just before we were due to go away, customs didn't really pay much attention, as long as they see ifs for a baby/child and its no bigger than 100ml.

good luck