julie-ruth

Model Railways and Horse Riding

Hi question from hubby and daughters. My husband really enjoys making up Model Railways (his way of relaxing) and was wondering is there somewhere in Adelaide that has Hornby railway shops so he can continue his hobby.

Also daughters would be estatic if they could horse riding lessons or even just and occasional ride (hacking/pony treking). Is there anywhere in Adelaide that does this or on the outskirts that they can do this.

Julie

Guest woody crew
    Hi question from hubby and daughters. My husband really enjoys making up Model Railways (his way of relaxing) and was wondering is there somewhere in Adelaide that has Hornby railway shops so he can continue his hobby.

Also daughters would be estatic if they could horse riding lessons or even just and occasional ride (hacking/pony treking). Is there anywhere in Adelaide that does this or on the outskirts that they can do this.

Julie

Hi Julie, cant help you with your hubby's hobby but your daughters i can as my daughter is also mad on horses, and been looking .

not sure where you will be living but this tells you all the horse stables in oz!

take a look at this link

http://www.aussieweb.com.au/directory/directory.aspx?cid=1499&lid=60001

and find the nearest to where you are gonna live.

Hope this helps

Good luck and happy riding for your daughter!:wubclub:

Guest moonraker1959

Hi,

I spent just about my whole teenage years on a horse lol(In Oz).There used to be a good riding stable up Lower Houghton (not sure if its still there?).Years ago if you had experience,you could hire a horse and take off down the dust track by yourself for an hour lol.I used to go with my twin and best friend and it was heaps fun.I'm not into riding "formally",more into going for a good gallop by myself lol another one was Walkleys Road Riding school,more formal,(It was in Ingle farm a suburb)and you had to saddle the horse yourself etc,and ride in a group,abit boring for us girls lol There are lots of horsy type places in Adelaide.When I had kids,we lived in the Hills and they went to Woodside,again abit formal but good teachers!When you settle in just ask around or look in the yellow pages phone book,there will be lots!!!xx

Guest Aussie pat

For model trains try the Orient Express Model Railway shop webaddress is: oexpress@chariot.net.au. The shop is at 2 King William Rd, Unley. It has been there for years and the staff are real boffins. They should also be able to tell your husband about any model railway groups in Adelaide. Warning though once he steps inside the shop you'll struggle to get him out but at least he'll be happy. Shop isn't huge, bit like the tardis.

Goodluck!

Guest deborah

I am hoping that I can loan a horse or exercise other peoples horses which is what i do at the moment.

Will bring my riding gear with me but not the tack or rugs (will sell them)

Hoping for a nice 15.2hh anglo arab (horses that is!!)

Debs

Guest cunnah10
    I am hoping that I can loan a horse or exercise other peoples horses which is what i do at the moment.

Will bring my riding gear with me but not the tack or rugs (will sell them)

Hoping for a nice 15.2hh anglo arab (horses that is!!)

Debs

Hi deb

I used to have my own anglo arab 15.2 originally a young unhandled quite wild stallion but obviously had to have him gelded and broke him in to become my pride and joy!

Was a real beauty!Full of life and very lively!

Unfortunately i lost him in a freak accident after 25 years!

Never really got over loosing him so tragically and still brings me so many happy memories!

My 9 year old daughter (although not as brave as i was and not so full on horsey minded)likes the idea of going horse riding so maybe i could try to sort this for her!

Way to go Gill maybe you can join her, sounds like after all this stress having a relaxing ride in your dream country maybe just what the doctor ordered.

Julie:):)

there are other railway shops around adelaide, orient express is the most expensive. there is the model railway show on every june long weekend where the various groups sset up a railway scene asnd run it. some come frm interstate. there are also stalls selling stuff.

Hi there try pming Paula&Adrian about model railways. Adrian has a fantastic set up which he is expanding. We went with them a few months ago to a meet (my boys are mad on trains!). It was great some brilliant layouts.

Lindsey

There are several model shops in Adelaide. Two of the best for model railways are Grahams on Daws Road and Model Mania in Morphett vale.

There are regular model meets and swaps and a model railway club in Reynella.

Hornby and Peco are available.

Adrian:jiggy:

that one up by Harvey Normans on main North rd is usually cheaper than anywhere else, sorry can't remember the name even tho I've been my son's chauffeur round the traps for many a year.

I've been promising my daughter for ages that I'd take her on one of the 2 or 3 day rides these folks run: http://www.burratrailrides.com/ - I just need to find another mother and daughter to come with us, so I don't have to drink the wine I'll be taking all on my own of an evening....

Diane

I've been promising my daughter for ages that I'd take her on one of the 2 or 3 day rides these folks run: http://www.burratrailrides.com/ - I just need to find another mother and daughter to come with us, so I don't have to drink the wine I'll be taking all on my own of an evening....

Diane

Hi Diane sounds fun would love to take my girls they have wanted to go riding for ages how much is it, would love to come with you but we probably won't be out till November in Adelaide until November.

Julie