Guest taffgmg

IT Work in Adelaide

Guest taffgmg

Wondering if anyone can assist in recommending good agencies dealing with IT related vacancies! I have had a look on seek.com.au and there doesnt appear to be as much around in Adelaide as Melbourne or Sydney.

We completed on our house last Friday and fly out to Adelaide on 1st August! Havent had a chance to look for work yet as we didnt expect to sell the house for ages and it went in one week. Then had to get the Spouse visa application in PDQ and to be totally honest since the beginning of April we havent stopped.

Plan to spend the next week or so catching up with friends and family etc but then need to start job hunting in earnest as soon as I get to Adelaide.

Any advice or information relating to gaining an IT related position would be greatfully received!

Thankyou

Martyn

Guest Baldock Grays

Martyn,

I used Seek and Hayes, you are right in that most of the work seems to be Melbourne or Sydney. Even so, i sent my CV to about 10 companies, had 2 interviews and received offer. We are going on 6th Sept. on a 121 visa.

I found that all bar two of the companies that i sent CV's to responded with either the standard

"contact us when you or arrive" or the more positive "We would like to Telephone interview". Given you are so close to going, keep an up to date CV published and apply for any and every job.

Cheers

Andy

Regards,

Andy

Guest askmeaboutadelaide

Try contacting Darren at

Paxus IT Recruitment

Level 19

25 Grenfell Street

ADELAIDE SA 5000

Ph:

Guest taffgmg

Hi - Thanks for the replies so far.

I have a degree in computer science and my career has developed via helpdesk support, network administration (Novell, Lotus Notes, some NT) and more latterly project management and change management. I have spent the last 5.5 years working for the police and have been involved in an ITIL impmentation project. Most recently I have been involved in sorting out the Force's Software licensing processes and improving their IT Service Continuity management in line with ITIL and BS25999.

Regards

Martyn

Wondering if anyone can assist in recommending good agencies dealing with IT related vacancies! I have had a look on seek.com.au and there doesnt appear to be as much around in Adelaide as Melbourne or Sydney.

We completed on our house last Friday and fly out to Adelaide on 1st August! Havent had a chance to look for work yet as we didnt expect to sell the house for ages and it went in one week. Then had to get the Spouse visa application in PDQ and to be totally honest since the beginning of April we havent stopped.

Plan to spend the next week or so catching up with friends and family etc but then need to start job hunting in earnest as soon as I get to Adelaide.

Any advice or information relating to gaining an IT related position would be greatfully received!

I emigrated to Adelaide in March 2007 on a skilled independent visa with my partner. I am a Senior Systems Administrator.

I secured a 10 month fulltime contract position at a University through an agency in my first week in Adelaide. However I found the University environment too restrictive as I am used to a more hands on approach and found there was no scope to utilise my skills and experience.

Luckily within 3 weeks I secured another job which is permanent fulltime on the same salary as I was on in the UK. I am still in this job and enjoy it.

As part of our emigration application my qualifications and skills had to be assessed by the Australian Computer Society. Through our emigration agents we paid additional money for an IT expert based in Australia to assist with the skills assessment, my references and he advised me how to set my CV out and the terminology to use for the Australian IT market which I think contributed to gaining employment quickly.

Adelaide is a small city so there will be less IT opportunities but we came to Adelaide because it was a smaller city and that is part of its charm.

The Universities often have IT jobs advertised on their websites so check them out to get a feel for what is out there and wages.

www.flinders.edu.au

www.adelaide.edu.au

www.unisa.edu.au

Hope this info is useful and if I can be anymore help just let me know.

Thankyou

Martyn

I recently was involved on the interview panel for a Technical Support Officer, a senior technician role and was scheduled to interview 7 people and only 4 people turned up, so reliable people with good skills should stand a good chance and being English definitely helps.

At interview the organisations always ask what you know about the company, so make sure you do your research.

My salary is more or less the same as I earnt in the UK and the organisation I work for has spent a lot of money on me on a management course and technical courses, so I am pleased with my job and have had a very positive experience.

Just come with the right attitude and you should make a success of it.