Guest wemadeit

Adelaide bound

Guest wemadeit

Hi all,

We are new to the site, moving to Adelaide in November. Just resigned from our jobs and realisation has now hit us.......................are we mad??!! House on market, flights booked........

Any advice on jobs, areas to live etc greatly appreciated! We have done a fair bit of research, and Hallett Cove, Aldinga, Morphett Vale etc all seem appealing....................but people say this is a long way out of Adelaide..................is this right, as I regularly commute 50 miles each way to work in UK???

Have your experiences been good - do you regret leaving the UK at all??...............I guess we fall into the '......unless we try it we'll never know..........' category!!

We are looking at various forms of accomodation to stay in when we first arrive, so if anyone has suggestions on this, prior to us fibnding rental accomodation, we would find it very useful.

Hope to hear from you soon.....

Cheers,

Tom, Cath, Josh & Chloe

Hi there,

we fell into the same category as yourselves, we had to try it.

Hallett cove is 25 minutes from the city, morphett vale around 30/35 minutes, Aldinga 40/45 minutes. There are buses, trains etc to get you to the city too.

We have been here just 4 months now and we are not regretting it so far. Life here is what you make of it, take opportunities and go out and meet others.

We are finding it a bit on the expensive side from what we left, but from the information that we have received from family in the UK, it's not that much different from there at the moment.

We started renting our house a few weeks before we arrived. We thought we would get somewhere to live for 6 months and if it didn't suit or we wanted to move on we could, but we had the advantage of having a roof over our heads and somewhere to go to right away. A few people on PIA have furnished rentals for short term let which could be an option for you or there is always the OAA which is furnished accommodation from the SA council.

This is a big move for you and it's okay to get nervous and start questioning your decision....but you have already stated....you have to try it.

What's the worst that can happen, you try it, you have the adventure and have to go back to the UK. At least you have the guts to try something new.

Good luck to you and if you need any information just ask away.

Guest wemadeit

Hi ther,

Many thanks for your response.....we are very nervous but at the same time really looking forward to it!!!

Regarding accommodation, we will try and do something similar - who did you use to get the rental accommodation around Hallet Cove/Aldinga etc?

Reading some of the other messages, it seems jobs are hard to get - are they having a recession too?? and cost of living - what was the most notable differences - because the cost of food/fuel/energy etc is rising back here rapidly!!?

Also, we are on a 495 SIR Visa, and therfore have been told we have to get med insurance and pay for schooling etc until we apply for PR status in about 2-3 yrs time - is this really expensive and have your kids settled in to school/life down under?

And is it true.....................do you have a more 'outdoor, relaxed life' spending time on the beach etc

Sorry for all the questions......................we're just trying to get a feel for things before we arrive.

Look forward to hearing from you soon.

Cheers,

Guest HALT

Hi

Don't know about your visa sub class but we have been here in Oz 6 months. We were in Melbourne first and had to pay for the kids schooling. It was nearly £2000 for each child per term. We were lucky in that my husbands company picked up the tab. We also have had to get medical insurance for 2 years till become PR can't remember the cost but was cheaper to go through an international company. We are with CHUBB but think they are all similar. You still have to pay most costs upfront then claim them back and we have an excess of $200 (£100) so things like GP visits we end up footing the bill. All i would say is read the small print carefully. Hope this helps.

Guest wemadeit

......didn't realise schooling was sooo expensive - is this the same in South Australia??!!! Medical insurance is what I thought it might be - but i will get onto that now - is it best to orgainse before we arrive or when we are there?

Thanks for your help...

I think for primary school its about $7500 a year for an international student who attends a state school. Have a look here....http://www.studyadelaide.com/page/default.asp?site=1&id=633 . Sorry don't know what your visa entails.

Guest HALT

Hi

Think it might be better to organise medical insurance before you get here but make sure they have a branch in australia so you can phone about problems. The only reason i say that is that you might have enough to do when you get here it just takes one more things off your to do list.

Guest chippie74
    I think for primary school its about $7500 a year for an international student who attends a state school. Have a look here....http://www.studyadelaide.com/page/default.asp?site=1&id=633 . Sorry don't know what your visa entails.

Man:- we are finding it hard now and we haven't got any kids

Guest guest569

I'm shocked at the quotes for schooling mentioned so far .:chatterbox:

I thought you would just have to pay for excursions and books ( plus uniforms of course ).

Debs 17 is on similar visa , i'm sure she can answer your questions. ( but don't ask her about jobs :()

Bob

i actually thought the only visa you had to pay international fees for your kids' schooling was if you came on a student visa yourself, or your kids were at uni.

Guest wemadeit

Thanks for all your help on this - I have emailed studyadelaide to get the costs - but I think it will be $7500!!

Guest wemadeit

chippie74 - is it not going so well down under???

Guest wemadeit

Roo1 - great websites - patrticularly adelaidebound!! great help.....thanks