Guest arentol

Car Insurance

Guest arentol

Hi all, I have a pair of questions:

1. Is car insurance mandatory in Australia? And, for those of you who do have car insurance, can you give me some ideas on the cost?

2. This is a trivial question but one that I am curious about. In Australia, when you put petrol in your car's tank, do you fill-up the gas tank yourself or does an attendant do it for you? I've lived throughout the world and have found that this custom varies widely, though Western countries do tend to let the customer fill-up the tank themselves. In Asia, no way, hehe.

Thanks to everyone for their expertise!

Regards,

Aren -

Hi there,

when you get your registration (tax) there is third party insurance added in within this

3 months is $184, 6 months is $359, 9 months is $528 and 12 months is $693. You can have fully comp insurance over and above this, the cost depends on the car and your criteria.

You fill up your own petrol tank here, sorry!

Guest arentol

Cormcvcr,

Thanks for the reply! Sounds really affordable (compared to U.S. prices). No worries on filling up the tank, it's good exercise anyways :)

Thanks again!

Kind regards,

Aren -

Guest Guzzler&Sas
    Hi there,

when you get your registration (tax) there is third party insurance added in within this

3 months is $184, 6 months is $359, 9 months is $528 and 12 months is $693. You can have fully comp insurance over and above this, the cost depends on the car and your criteria.

You fill up your own petrol tank here, sorry!

Hi,

When you pay your Registration the third party element is bodily insurance and does not cover any vehicle in an accident http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/registrations/motor_vehicles/compulsory_third_party_insurance.asp, it would be advisable to take at least third party insurance for your vehicle should you be responsible for an accident and avoid a potential big bill,

Guzzler

Guest sarahsmartiepants
    Hi,

When you pay your Registration the third party element is bodily insurance and does not cover any vehicle in an accident http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/registrations/motor_vehicles/compulsory_third_party_insurance.asp, it would be advisable to take at least third party insurance for your vehicle should you be responsible for an accident and avoid a potential big bill,

Guzzler

Thanks Guzzler, someone else to explain this now too! Its amazing how many people out there drive with only the rego insurance...totally leagle, but frickin annoying if you get hit by one of them!!

sarah

Guest Andrew Rose
    Hi all, I have a pair of questions:

1. Is car insurance mandatory in Australia? And, for those of you who do have car insurance, can you give me some ideas on the cost?

2. This is a trivial question but one that I am curious about. In Australia, when you put petrol in your car's tank, do you fill-up the gas tank yourself or does an attendant do it for you? I've lived throughout the world and have found that this custom varies widely, though Western countries do tend to let the customer fill-up the tank themselves. In Asia, no way, hehe.

Thanks to everyone for their expertise!

Regards,

Aren -

1. Yes, but the mandatory bit is included in your rego cost (tax disc). Tax discs are more costly as a result, and you are legal with CTP (Compulsory Third Party) only. This only covers for third party injury and death, so you risk big costs if you wreck somebodies car. We risked it for a few days when we first got a car, but I'd advise against that, as the chance of falling foul of unfamiliar traffic light systems and pedestrian behaviour is high initially.

Insurance is cheaper, in our case at least. Total cost of rego and insurance is pretty similar I think.

Bring proof of No claims discount with you, some will accept it straight off. They don't ask anywhere near as many questions in my experience.

2. Fill it yourself mate. Unlike supermarket bags.