Guest val diffin

The dreaded tax man..help needed

Guest val diffin

We are moving to Adelaide in September and have used a local company to transport all our things,they have'nt sent it yet as we are waiting for vehicle imports to come back for 2 motorbikes so its currently in storage.My husband is a self emloyed joiner and today he got a call saying that the Inland Revenue and Customs wants to check his accounts for the last 5 yrs. Has anyone self employed who has moved to Adelaide have a simliar experience of this and does it have anything to do with the removal company notifying customs about our container and thats how they want to check that our tax affairs are in order.Sorry if its a bit long winded but we can't understand why they just did'nt ask for his accountants details and let him deal with it. Help please:arghh:

Val

Hi there,

my OH was self employed for a number of years and they didn't ask. But the tax men, sorry people, do spot checks every now and again and it may just so happen it's your turn. I would contact them and give them the details of your accountant and ask all correspondence and communication to go through them and your accountant can then relay the information to you.

Don't worry, I'm sure it will be fine, the accountant has done his job up to now and you have been confident in using him for these past years, so let him do the job you are paying him for x

Guest Guest75

Same opinion as Cornelia here.

The shipping will not have sparked off and investigation.

Just random I'd say,long as the books are in order so will you be:)

I've had a few in my time from the VAT office;)

Guest motlyman

I agree with the others it is a random check and its your turn.

The reason they ask you and not your accountant is because the buck stops with you.

I had an issue in the UK and it was an oversight on my accountants behalf but the inland revenue were not interested. They just said it was my responibility at the end of the day regardless.

Colin