Sign in to follow this  
Guest jim

What's a living wage in Adelaide?

Guest jim

Hi, this is my first post.

According to recent research carried out by the Rowntree Foundation a couple with 2 kids in the UK needs £370 (AUD 785) per week excluding housing costs (rent/mortgage) to have a minimally acceptable standard of living. This is a link to their report:

http://www.jrf.org.uk/knowledge/findings/socialpolicy/2244.asp

The average salary in the UK is about £23,500 (AUD 49,950).

What do experienced Adelaiders feel is the minimum income necessary for living a decent life in Adelaide? Obviously lifestyles and expoectations vary, but the above figures give some idea of standards or benchmarks in the UK. Say for a couple with 2 kids, with modest aspirations, i.e. somewhere above a no-frills subsistence level, being able to do most 'normal' actvities, without being especially over the top materialistically. I would like to assess my likely achievable income for my occupation against what you say could be required. If we come to Adelaide I don't want to be going home after a few months complaining that I can't make ends meet!

Apols if this thread retreads old ground - I couldn't find any such info during a brief survey of this site. Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

Guest chippie74

i always worked out if 1 weeks wage covers the months rental/morgage than your gunna do ok.doesnt matter where you live in the world

Guest caoimhe
    i always worked out if 1 weeks wage covers the months rental/morgage than your gunna do ok.doesnt matter where you live in the world

Good point, but I reckon if you have kids things aren't that easy. They tend to eat into that wage a lot more:skeptical:

Guest natdan

In our case similar but maybe 2/3 weeks wages because of the Bratz and the OH drinking habits !!:)