Help please!!!

Guest vikkiann

Guest vikkiann

We are hoping to fly early December, we have a 2nd viewing on our house on Saturday so i have everything crossed.

I am trying to research different area's to live and i think I've narrowed it down to 6 neighborhoods!

They are:

Sheidow Park

Hallett Cove

Reynella

Trott Park

Greenwith

Moana

We have 4 children who will be 1, 2, 6 & 10 and obviously i want to be near decent schools.

I know this is a needle in a haystack situation and everybody's opinions are different but could somebody advise me on schooling in these area's if they live nearby.

I would appreciate any responses.

Vikki

Guest cbeeb

hallet cove is near the beach and on a train line if commuting into city, loads of brits, we have been told it is called little britain, Moana is nice great beach,

Guest Hansonhouse

Our friends who have twin girls aged 9 are living in Seaford Rise and their girls go to Moana Primary. They love the area and the school so far. A lot of the lessons are on the beach and the web site for the school is quite informative

Roz

Guest Libby1971

We rented in Sheidow Park, hilly, no shops, but very established and pleasant. Some new builds going on although hard to imagine a house going on there as the land now is very steep.

Reynella - some nice places, some not so nice.

Reynella East is where I live, near Happy Valley, nice or I wouldn't be here.

Old Reynella - also very nice, got some friends who live there

Ask if you need more info

Guest Jo Buckler

Hi Vicki.

Hallett Cove has some good schools, and once the connector road from Sheidow Park is completed (apparently the end of August 08), then travelling to Hallett Cove should be a breeze.

Jo Buckler

Ray White Real Estate, Hallett Cove 0448 700117

Guest vikkiann

I think we've shortened our list now, after spending hours on the internet last night.

We are now looking at:

Sheidow Park, Hallett Cove and Trott Park.

I'm hoping i can find more info regarding schools for all ages. The internet is fab!

Guest moonraker1959

My twin lives in Greenwith,and has been for several years.She has'nt experienced any problems with that area and her 3 boys went to primary and high school (the local ones)and also was very happy with both.I'm not into Suburbs myself (used to live in the Adelaide Hills)but you could'nt go wrong with Greenwith.Its close to Tea Tree Plaza which is a huge shopping complex,local swimming pool (Tea Tree Gully)and can catch a bus into the city from Tea Tree Plaza on the Obahn which is excellent!My uncle lives in Old Reynella and loves it there too!

Guest natdan
Personally the only one I'd even consider would be Greenwith.... but there you go! :arghh:

Everyone's different and I'd wait and check out places when you arrive!!

We are hoping to settle close to Modbury Heights or the surrounding areas [ what areas are close by !! ]or yes"s and no"s that could help us with our research. Hoping to be there soon and will decide then. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.

Louise n Wayne :)

Guest Lulujim
Our friends who have twin girls aged 9 are living in Seaford Rise and their girls go to Moana Primary. They love the area and the school so far. A lot of the lessons are on the beach and the web site for the school is quite informative

Roz

Just had a look at the website - it looks so lovely!! Will definitely put it on my list of schools to look around when we (eventually) get there :)

Guest salisbury massive
We are hoping to settle close to Modbury Heights or the surrounding areas [ what areas are close by !! ]or yes"s and no"s that could help us with our research. Hoping to be there soon and will decide then. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.

Louise n Wayne :)

Hi

Modbury Heights is fine, we lived in Modbury North to start with and had no complaints. There is a Reception to year 12 school at Modbury Heights called spookily enough The Heights School, its set on 1 large area but split into 3 schools. Here is the website http://www.theheightsschool.com.au/index.shtml Don't be put off by the casual uniform, most state schools are like that, its only the private schools that have uniforms like you are used to in England. Its the only state school in Adelaide to have an observatory and I know quite a lot of brits use this school. The advatage is you stay on one site so the friends they make stay with them throughout their school life. There is a little shopping centre with a supermarket, butchers, hairdressers, take away, off licence and a cheap shop. A very good doctors (Womans and childrens unit) next to that. Modbury Heights is mostly older properties on slightly larger lots and houses range from the $280,000 - $400,000 mark. there is a very good outdoor swimming pool just down the road (seasonal Oct - April) and Tea Tree Plaza, the major shopping centre just 5 minutes away. There is also a medicare & Vehicle registration department by Tea Tree plaza and the Modbury Hospital.

I would also have a look at Redwood Park, the school there is excellent. Gulfview Heights, Wynn Vale, Greenwith and Golden Grove. All these suburbs are within half an hour drive to the City and there is also a direct bus link to the City called the O'bann. Its a park and ride, takes about 20 minutes and part of the way you go along fast tracks like a train. Here are the links to the schools in the suburbs above but the High Schools are on different locations.

Redwood Park http://www.redwoodparkprimary.com.au/?js=1

Golden Grove http://www.goldengps.sa.edu.au/

Greenwith http://www.greenwitps.sa.edu.au/

Wynn Vale Primary isn't really a great School so I would suggest having a look at Keithcott Farm, still in Wynn Vale but a much better reputation

http://www.keithcotps.sa.edu.au/ You can also use Keithcott if you live in Gulfview Heights though the primary school in GH has a very good rep. Very small and brilliant teacher/pupil ratio http://www.ghps.sa.edu.au/

Yous son is 11 so you'll be looking for a High School soon, The heights is obviously the catchment for Modbury Heights. I can list you a few of the high school in those areas. Golden Grove seems to be the favoured school at the moment but you do have to be in the area, ie Golden Grove, Greenwith or Wynn Vale. http://www.goldengrovehs.sa.edu.au/ They have a arts programme which accepts kids from all over Adelaide also. Golden Grove is 10 minutes from Modbury Heights. Redwood Park is Banksia Park International, I'm not sure I would recommend it personally http://www.bpihs.sa.edu.au/ They seem to have had some smoking and drug issues on site but so do most schools I guess. Gulfview Heights is either Salisbury East http://www.salseast.org/ , thats my zone and I couldn't recommend it EVER. Personal opinion, someone might have a good thing to say but not me or Para Hills High http://www.phhs.sa.edu.au/ or if you are really lucky you might get into Salisbury High - an excellent reputation but difficult to get into if out of zone http://www.salisburyhigh.sa.edu.au/ Do not confuse Salisbury High with Salisbury East under any circumstances.

I see your daughter is 18, if she wishes to further her education there is a TAFE SA next to Tea Tree Plaza, just like college really. Website shows what courses are available but there are campus all over Adelaide she could go to http://www.tafe.sa.edu.au/Default.aspx?tabid=833 Having Tea Tree Plaza on the doorstep is a big help if she just wants to get a job to tide her over.

I've lived and driven these areas since we moved here 3 years ago and had previous experience of them when we used to come on holiday. Any more info just shout.

Jo

Guest Libby1971
Personally the only one I'd even consider would be Greenwith.... but there you go! :arghh:

Everyone's different and I'd wait and check out places when you arrive!!

I don't even know where Greenwith is so it can't have that good a reputation!!:biglaugh::biglaugh: Is it anywhere near Burnside, Norwood, Marryatville?

Diane is right to say to wait till you get here to make decisions. We were interested in Gawler (way way way up north) and Willunga or Aldinga. This was until we got here, and drive to and from the city from those places and realised just how much travelling we would have to do. Then we looked at areas like Sheidow etc. Some areas didn't have the right feel to start with.

Personally I didn't want to be too close to the city, and I definitely did not want lots of traffic too close by. I wanted to be where there was plenty of space for the kids, near schools so they could walk to and from without me having a breakdown or worrying.

I got that in the southern suburbs although I know Salisburymassive, ianb, robandclare, and Diane live north of the city.

Depends on where you are...

Guest salisbury massive
I don't even know where Greenwith is so it can't have that good a reputation!!:biglaugh::biglaugh: Is it anywhere near Burnside, Norwood, Marryatville?

Its a long walk from your place Libby ;)

Greenwith is a very up and coming suburb, but I call it roof city. When you come down the hill from Golden Grove and look across all you can see is roof after roof after roof. The houses are very modern though and there is an excellent range of state and private schools.

Jo

Hi there,

I can only give you a view with regards to Hallett Cove, as this is where we have settled.

We are a family of four, kids aged 10 years (Alistair) and 6 years (Andrea). They both attend Hallett Cove East Primary School (www.halcoveeps.sa.edu.au) the school is made up of a variety of classrooms, which are built in the style of houses (just so that they can sell these on at a later date if the school size drops) there is one of them on the real estate website www.realestate.com.au - hallett cove $350K Lot 363 Goroke Street - ref 104877653) this will let you have an indication of what it is like.

My two kids love it, they are involved in the school football teams, there are 470 kids at the school and 170 are involved in the football. They have cricket, netball, auskick too. The experience so far is that the kids are doing well and are still achieving in their studies. The teachers are all friendly and approachable at anytime. Parents can enter the classrooms and help out with tasks such as reading and baking etc. They have play areas within the grounds, ie climing frames, slides, sand pits etc.

Our kids have a better social life now than they did in the UK (partly due to weather), but there are no small streets for kids to congregate on. They all go back up to the school after hours and use the facilities, ie basketball court, football parks, cricket runs etc and the best bit is the schools encourage this.

The area in general is quiet, I have seen the odd bit of graffitti, but haven't experienced any troublesome behaviour. There are a lot of british here but there are a lot of Australians too. It has a good mixture and everybody we have met so far have been great.

It's a central area to go into the city with good rail/bus links, also close to the beaches and cafe/bar areas like brighton and glenelg.

We have travelled through a lot of other areas which have been mentioned here and all look nice. But for the choice we have made, its definately got a huge thumbs up from my family!

Good luck, you have to be here to decide what you are looking for, how close do you want to be to the coast, hills, city etc. It's hard to decide before you get here, but the hardest part was getting here, the rest just seems to fall into place.

Guest Rachael
I think we've shortened our list now, after spending hours on the internet last night.

We are now looking at:

Sheidow Park, Hallett Cove and Trott Park.

I'm hoping i can find more info regarding schools for all ages. The internet is fab!

I had these 3 locations in mind but having just been through the house shopping process, I'd have to say, I changed my mind in the end and preferred the Happy Valley and Flagstaff Hill areas. We eventually bought in Chandlers Hill which is nearby. We didn't even look in Hallett Cove in the end. Although I know alot of people like it there and it is a nice area to live in, near the beach.

I'm not saying they are bad areas at all, just that it's best to consider lots of areas and have a good look around. I know it's everyones choice and only you can really decide which area suits you best.

Good luck house hunting.

R