Jessica Berry

Just had the rates (council tax) for our house

I thought this might be useful for people. We come under Unley Council and have had our first rates (council tax) for our house since we bought it.

As far as I can see it goes on the value of your property and our property is valued at $450,000 by the Valuer General (although we actually paid more than this for the house) and our rates for the year are $1076.65 (£498 on today's exchange rate) which have to be paid on a quarterly basis.

This seems good value compared to the UK, as we used to pay £960.00 for our 2 bedroom maisonette in Nottingham.

It does say in the enclosed information that 'The Valuer General has taken account of the performance of the property market in the past 12 months. The value of residential properties increased by an average of 21%'.

I have previously wrote another thread about the excellent service I received when I contacted Unley Council and asked for a tree to be cut back, pot holes to be filled in and some graffiti removed and it was all done in 2 days.

If you are renting, you do not pay rates, the owners pay it.

That's very good rates, we are under Onkaparinga & our house is valued at less than yours however our rates are higher.....strange !!??

But you are right, our rates were over £1000 back in Notts so not complaining.

Guest Libby1971

We were told that the rates you pay as the current owner are based upon what the last owner paid for the property.

nope cos otherwise we'd be paying rates on a 1950s value. most of the rateable value is to do with the land value, then some is added for the house.

Guest Em76

We are building in Mount Barker and had our first rates bill this week. Our land was valued at $5000less than we paid for it ($156,000) and our rates for the plot are $950. Not sure what it will be once we have built. Any idea anyone?

Guest marty
    We are building in Mount Barker and had our first rates bill this week. Our land was valued at $5000less than we paid for it ($156,000) and our rates for the plot are $950. Not sure what it will be once we have built. Any idea anyone?

The VG is normally 30% under actual value, and Tea Tree Gulley has the highest rates in the metro area, mainly beacause of the cost of maintaning Golden Grove, they do give your part payments though

Guest jplaysguitar
    We were told that the rates you pay as the current owner are based upon what the last owner paid for the property.

I know this is an old post but I found it while researching as part of our Visa application and figured, for the benefit of future finders, I should mention that my research indicates that rates are calculated on property valuations made in 2006. I've not checked all the different councils but what I have seen suggests a similar system to the UK, albeit they don't take your eyes out in Aus!

Just to add another example - I'm in Glenelg (city of Holdfast Bay) in a small block of 5 apartments just south off the jetty off the beach. We pay $251 a quarter (2 bedrooms). Very happy in our council area - excellent service for everything they cover, fabulous library with helpful staff, great online community engagement and lovely clean parks and outdoor areas.

Hahndorf (Mount barker Council) rates for vacant plot in 2007 $534 pa went up to $1723 when built on (4x2 house) now $1983 pa plus Emergency Services Levy of $76 pa