Guest danlee101

Hi, moving to the North East (modbury etc)

Guest danlee101

Hi, I am returning home after 7 years abroad so feels like I'm starting over (in effect I am, 8yr left Oz when she was less than a year, 3 yr old born in UK and wife is German though we had a brief (3mth) stint in Adelaide 10yrs ago and some time in Melbourne.

We have settled on North East and in particular, Banskia park, Athelstone, Highbury and Dernancourt as possible locations.

I've lived most areas in Adelaide but never the north-east.

We like Banskia Park because school has a good reputation and they teach German. The schools for the other areas do Japanese, Italian and French I think from memory though not sure which school does which language.

My Dad lives in Modbury North and I never rated anywhere near modbury ever but things have changed a lot and if you look closely I think there are some nice spots out that way in general against the backdrop of the Adelaide Hills as well as proximity to Linear Park.

Fairview park is nice too.

One thing I do is use Google Earth along with realestate.com.au and scholls and map things out that way. Gives some sort of visual.

Migration App: Spouse Visa and will ne no problem, we've had one before and it expired (and forgot about RRV back then) though we have booked fares and at the mercy of Australian Federal Police Check given my wife has lived there before. Medicals got booked in within 4hrs of us knowing we had to do them. If push comes to shove, we all go with or without and my wife will have to pop over to Singapore to validate Visa (I assume that works)

House: Not even a rabbit has come to look at it and to be honest, market is dire but we are not ones to wait around for major life change for the sake of bricks and mortar! is a worry though and now looking to rent it out which of course makes taxation an issue

Work: I'm an IT based Project Manager, work on paper looks OK so I have a degree of confidence but you never know. Never really maintained contacts

Apart from that, hi, great reading all your experiences and though I'm an Adelaide boy, I feel like it is all new and that is exciting.

Daniel

Guest Sharon and Paul

Hi Dan, Well you have more knowledge about Adelaide than we do ?, so hope it works out for you guys in the north east , don't know much about the area , have to have a nose. The house selling is doing all of us in on PIA ? so depressing , anyway ATB keep us posted Paul

Just wanted to say hi and what a good choice of suburbs!

When you arrive, you'll have to let your wife out to join some of the others of us from the area on our newly instigated girls nights out! Next one is on 4th September.

Diane

Guest Bodie

Hi Daniel. I also returned to Adelaide after being in the UK for 12 years. Don't worry - nothing's changed!

Tracey

yes it has there is no longer the joy of the devil's elbow on the freeway or the truck roll overs that used to happen there regularly. Now we have those tunnels through the hills, Eagle on the Hill petrol stations are up for sale. Make a nice big housing block!