Guest Andrew Rose

Surrender UK Licence?

Guest Andrew Rose

Any experience of this, anybody?

My UK licence has our old address on it, which is not an address I can be contacted through (sold the house before coming over), so strictly speaking I'm commiting an offence (you have to have an address they can get to you through, I think). Should have changed to parents address before leaving UK.

So I don't want to just leave it as it is.

Problem is its an old paper licence, so I need to send proof of identity (if you have a biometric passport and tell them the number, thats enough, but my passport is pre-biometric).

No plans to head to UK, so can't deal with it from there. Probably won't be ever getting another UK (biometric) passport as I'll be eligible for an Aus passport before the UK one expires. Don't want to be without my passport for ?weeks.

Any advice?

If I fess up and surrender the licence, which I'd prefer not to, but might be the only option, how easy is it to get it back if I should ever be living in the UK?

(Note to those still in UK: change address on licence before you leave!)

Thanks in advance.

Any experience of this, anybody?

My UK licence has our old address on it, which is not an address I can be contacted through (sold the house before coming over), so strictly speaking I'm commiting an offence (you have to have an address they can get to you through, I think). Should have changed to parents address before leaving UK.

So I don't want to just leave it as it is.

Problem is its an old paper licence, so I need to send proof of identity (if you have a biometric passport and tell them the number, thats enough, but my passport is pre-biometric).

No plans to head to UK, so can't deal with it from there. Probably won't be ever getting another UK (biometric) passport as I'll be eligible for an Aus passport before the UK one expires. Don't want to be without my passport for ?weeks.

Any advice?

If I fess up and surrender the licence, which I'd prefer not to, but might be the only option, how easy is it to get it back if I should ever be living in the UK?

(Note to those still in UK: change address on licence before you leave!)

Thanks in advance.

Hi Andrew.

Why don't you just apply for a change of address now from here.

or get your parents to apply for you, let them send over your new licence.

Then change it.

They dont keep your uk passport anymore. you get it back on the spot,

Lauraxxx

Guest cbeeb

from experience you cannot renew your licence if not in UK, if you can get forms sent to you then send them back using parents address, you could try it. I changed my irish licence back to UK before I came and was no hassle took 2 weeks.

Guest Trakki

Found this on the DVLA web site, don't know if it is of any help.

If you move to another country, you should check with the driving licence authorities there for information about driving and exchange of licences. You don't to notify DVLA of a change of address when moving to live abroad.

Returning to GB

If you return to GB from a non-EC/EEA country and are not in possession of a GB licence, you may:

• drive for up to 12 months on your foreign licence
    • apply for a duplicate of your GB licence on payment of a fee

Guest theforrests

I was wondering the same thing - so this is really useful information - thanks!