Guest SA Great

UK Holiday

Guest SA Great

Well, after 17 years of living in Adelaide and not having been back for a very long time we finally made it to the UK for a holiday. Spent a total of 8 weeks in UK/Europe and had a fantastic time. I was surprised at how much the UK has changed, or have I just forgotten what it was like!!

When we first arrived everything seemed so small!! The roads, the houses,the cars etc but we got used to this after a few days. I was amazed at how cheap a lot of things were! Pub meals were around 6 pounds ($12) over here you would pay $15 to $20! Sports clothing was up to half the price and I bought some duty free perfume in Adelaide which was heaps cheaper than in Myers only to find it cheaper in Boots!!! Grocery prices were fairly similar, beer is cheaper in UK but Aussie wine was expensive.

Don't get me wrong here, I still think Adelaide is a nicer place to live overall. It's very spacious, lovely beaches and the weather is better but we don't have it as good as we did 17 years ago.

A frustrating thing in the UK is that you can wake up to a nice sunny day but within a couple of hours it is raining!! Bizarre!! And if you go to someone's house on a hot day you are sweating buckets because no-one has air conditioning.

In conclusion, I think the UK has improved a lot but I still think Adelaide (overall) is a better place to live( depending on your circumstances of course!).

Guest Deb17

Really enjoyed reading this one - but made me terribly homesick! If I went 'home' I know I'd never come back!

Guest SA Great

Thanks Deb. Just thought I would share my thoughts seeing as it has been so long since I have been in the old country. Hopefully some of the info may help some of the new migrants as well regarding what's good and bad etc

Guest moonraker1959

Glad you had a great time in the UK,which is where I currently live.Spent 30 years in Adelaide all up.Can anyone tell me how much a return airfare is from Adelaide to Heathrow?I know it would be more expensive near Xmas and so on?Thanks in advance x

Glad you had a great time in the UK,which is where I currently live.Spent 30 years in Adelaide all up.Can anyone tell me how much a return airfare is from Adelaide to Heathrow?I know it would be more expensive near Xmas and so on?Thanks in advance x

We are going back in September/October for my brothers wedding having been here only 18 months. We are really looking forward to seeing our family and friends.

Our flights with Malaysian Airlines, Adelaide to Heathrow return are $2365 each and we had to pay the whole amount at once to get this 'deal' but there are different deals all the time, but a lot of them you have to pay straight away.

Guest SA Great

Wiltshire eh?? We are from Swindon!!!!