Guest the4hopes

More happy experiences from Oz please!!!

Guest the4hopes

Hi

Just read Tykes exciting sea rescue experience, I can tell he was completely over the moon about this. It really cheered me up. We are hoping to arrive in October, I am just at the scared stage now, facing up to the reality of what we are doing, not having second thoughts I might add, but just have very mixed feelings.Its constantly on my mind(obviously)

So please could we have some more good news stories of whatever anyone has been up to, whatever it may be as long as its good!!!

I need plenty of encouragement and laughs!!

Thanks

Laura x

Hi,

We've just bought a house which we're really happy with. You can see pictures at: http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin/rsearch?a=o&id=104950126&f=0&p=10&t=res&ty=&fmt=&header=&cc=&c=91336827&s=sa&snf=rbs&tm=1218450684

We've been here just over 4 weeks, have done loads. Really looking forward to settling in. Get the keys 1st September.

R x

Wow glad you have settled in well and have got a great house ready for the new arrival.

Guest graandjac

:)Well we've been here 3 nearly 4 months now and it has taken this long to really bed in , dont get me wrong its not a bad thing just maybe a bit of advice, So far we are loving it , the kids will settle quickly if you have them, most of the kids of all ages seem to settle quickly. There is lots of jobs of all types , the only down side is getting a reply to an application .......there very slooooooow at getting back to you but being patient is the key and dont be scared to chase them with a phone call.

Everyone is very friendly and dont be scared to ask for advice or help, nobody seems to mind helping . Everyday costs are much the same as the uk but some off the bigger costs .... ie council tax and car insurance seem much lower( or they have been for us).

When you arrive dont expect to see anything like the uk , we have found there is nothing to compare, some things are better some are not so good but overall, all the reasons we all come here are here for sure, there is loads to do at very little or no cost . Just be prepared to leave your comfort zone , be flexible and be prepared for some ups and downs. We love it and cant wait for the summer . cheers Graham

Guest SA Great

Yeah the summer is heaps good. Snorkelling at Noarlunga beach is great. A trip to the Murray (find someone who has a ski boat and get friendly with them!). Great fun. You can even go and dig up some cockles at the Coorong. Plenty of parks for those aussie barbies. One of lifes pleasures for me is heading straight down the beach from work on a 37C day (100F) to cool off. Roll on summer!

Hi,

We've just bought a house which we're really happy with. You can see pictures at: http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin/rsearch?a=o&id=104950126&f=0&p=10&t=res&ty=&fmt=&header=&cc=&c=91336827&s=sa&snf=rbs&tm=1218450684

We've been here just over 4 weeks, have done loads. Really looking forward to settling in. Get the keys 1st September.

R x

Hi. The house looks lovely and I like the sound of name of the area. Can you give a few details about that area. Is it near the hills? How close to the beach? amenities and pubs?

Ta

carole

Guest Guest75

I'm glad you enjoyed my adventure Laura.

It was my main reason for posting - you can change your life and have new experiences here.I've posted some of our days out and experiences before to show what can happen here.

It's not always easy but there are so many different things to do and experience here - just sometimes they take a bit of finding.

We had certainly made the decision to change our lives by the move here,it was a massive gamble (but I am a risk taker) and it did pay off.

In the UK we had built up a very successful business but were living to work.

That was not going to happen here - we bought a house/smallholding/Olive grove and swore to work from home.After a lot of false starts it has worked out and we really appreciate the opportunity to turn our lives upside down.

Many times now it's just the small moments and experiences that give us pleasure - we have time to appreciate them now.I've had to learn many skills new to me,I grew up on a farm but DIY was always a mystery - I actually fix things now!!

I often go down to my friend's 200 acre farm to cut firewood - a simple day with no mobile phone signal and only Kangaroos and Kookaburras for company.Lots of hard four wheel driving in creek beds to get to the wood - but so much satisfying fun!

We are certainly looking forward to more travelling now - we have hardly seen anything of this country!

I think it takes time to find these moments - the first few years you will be involved with the important but more mundane tasks of settling in / jobs and so on.Then the time comes when you can get up to some real adventures.

We've never stopped loving this country ,it's grown on us.:)

Guest Rachael
    Hi. The house looks lovely and I like the sound of name of the area. Can you give a few details about that area. Is it near the hills? How close to the beach? amenities and pubs?

Ta

carole

Hi Carole,

Well as the name suggests, it's in the hills. The drive up to the house is fantastic with great views over Adelaide. Chandlers Hill is quite a small area, near to Flagstaff Hill and Happy Valley. About 5 minutes drive is a place called The Hub, which is the local shopping area. It has supermarkets, banks and a range of small shops inc. a library. There's a swimming pool about 5 minutes drive away also. Driving in the opposite direction will take you down towards Lonsdale and Hallet Cove area. I would say the beach was about 15/20 minutes away and although that sounds quite far, everything is spread out more here so it takes a little longer to get places than it would in the UK (in my opionion anyway). I'm not sure about the nearest pub, once we move in we'll get to know the area a lot more.

Hope this helps,

R x

Guest dunnarunna

we arrived about 3 weeks after graandjac and i couldnt agree with them more. we struggled to start but things are improving and we too are looking forward to the summer, as its so blooming cold here in the hills!! but in the short time we`ve been here we`ve had a taster of some of the good stuff, like seeing 2 seals jumping out of the sea at snapper point aldinga beach, feeding the roos and cuddling a koala at cuddlee creek, kookaburras & cockatoos flying in the reserve next to our rental, and our regular visit from percy the possom in our garden.

donna