Story So Far

Guest Medindie Delight

Guest Medindie Delight

I've often read stories on this site of peoples experiences and found them fascinating, so i thought i'd share mine too.

Unlike a lot of you guys I didn't want to come to Adelaide, I hoped and applied for a post in the USA which didn't happen, so after leaving my home near Birmigham (which is still there waiting for me) i arrived in Adelaide October 2006.

I didn't give Adelaide much opportunity to begin with, I thought away from the CDB and Glenelg that Adelaide was a hovel, stretching a dull brown colour for miles to the north and south with main roads littered with what looked like derelict buildings (i found out later they were shops). Someone posted about adelaide being "My name is Earl Territory", i had to laugh at this because i've seen some sights that show Adelaide or Australians as a whole to just be either really laid back, or to be honest just plain lazy with their appearance, not everyone, but more than you imagine. Lot's of people go on about the beaches here and how they must live near them, personally because of Adelaides location i found the beaches cold, and I won't go to the beach when the temp is below 30 degs because that southernly wind always has a chill in it, Also most of the beaches have no amenities so to spend the day there you will need to take the car with an esky of drinks, surf board, BBQ, towell, etc... so whether your 5 or 30 mins away it makes little difference. The cost of living wasn't a problem but i really thought it was expensive here and without the choice of the UK, Fruit and Veg look poor quality compared to Sainsbury, but i must admit it seems the luxory items are the expensive items, as someone else said meat is of great quality and really cheap, so maybe it's all swings and roundabouts, depends on what you buy. My job didn't help at the start either, I'm trying to manage a number of people and found locals to be, well just lazy, a sick day is a given right to so many people, not really to be used when they are sick.

But then my company got me a house in Medindie, and i started to settle, i love being near the city as there is something happening every weekend, I don't think Adelaide has something to offer anyone under 30 away from the city or Glenelg, the outer suburbs just don't offer the choice of pubs, clubs and restaurants. Adelaide has though really grown on me, and it's easy to start to appreciate what the city has to offer, I now collect wine and keep a close eye on some Vineyards in the barossa which i would never have done before, I even play AFL, which is a great sport to keep you fit, and also in the summer join in at the rowing club on the torrens. So for even someone on their own this city has a lot to offer.

When my contract is up I will still be looking forward to going back but i will take a large portion of adelaide life with me.

Guest ali@51

Hi You really made me smile some of your comments rang bells with me as well. We know someone who is a mechanic (owns his own garage) and his comments about the locals are just the same as yours! It is great to get the opinion of someone who didn't want to come and has come with deifferent "eyes" to those of us who planed it as a destination thanks.

Guest Medindie Delight
Glad to hear that Adelaide is starting to grow on you Zak. What part of Sutton Coldfield are you from? We lived in Boldmere before we came here last year.

Hello Rich, Liz, Hattie and Rory

I think having an Australian girlfriend helps though with the settling.

I'm from Little Aston, I've always lived in Sutton and I've got loads of Friends around Wylde Green and Boldmere. Don't suppose Rich supports the Villa ?

Guest natdan

Hi Zak , great post and honest too. Good to read the good with the bad from people already there , Keep enjoyong yourself and Good luck when you return to the uk. Shame your a villa fan !! [ dont mention 4. 2 , MCFC.... schhhh. ]

Guest Medindie Delight
Hi You really made me smile some of your comments rang bells with me as well. We know someone who is a mechanic (owns his own garage) and his comments about the locals are just the same as yours! It is great to get the opinion of someone who didn't want to come and has come with deifferent "eyes" to those of us who planed it as a destination thanks.

Thanks Ali,

I guess from someone who hasn't chosen to be here I feel Adelaide is just plain wierd with a list of issues a mile long, but somehow it still manages to be a pretty cool place to be if you can accept the eccentricities (can't spell that)...

I though will always be an english man, and my heart will always be there, but I get to go back for 4 weeks per week as well as holidays, i have no idea how you guys cope....