Can you recommend places to go with kids!!

Guest HALT

Hi Everyone

Has taken us a few weeks to unpack and get settled into our new life here. Kids have settled into to school etc. Can anyone in the forum give me ideas of places to take the kids at the weekends. I have a girl 5 and a boy 8. Any ideas would be great as we really haven't done anything yet. We are in Coromandel Valley. Thanks in advance:)

Guest katsmajic

We've only been here for 4 months and havnt done everything yet - pacing ourselves...

weve been on the port river cruise - seen lots of dolphins etc, its on sundays, 11.30 & again at 2, 2hours long, cost $3.50 each as its winter, and its well worth the money!

It does get chilly on the boat though so take coats!

clelands is lovely, again take coats, its quite exposed and can be cold up there, you can feed the kangaroos, stroke/cuddle koalas, see native OZ animals and birds etc.

victor harbour is lovely, its a good trek/hike round granite island - rewarded with a lovely big icecream at the cafe. weve seen loads of dolphins there but no whales as yet. victor is only 45/60 mins away, looks alot more and its very easy to get to.

it can have its own little climate going on down there, take coats just incase though.

the nature reserve at noarlunga/river road is a fab walk, you can see kangaroos/koalas etc.

the fort at noarlunga is a great play area for all kids...

have fun, im sure theres lots more to do local to you aswell.

Kat x

Guest Rob and Clare

There are heaps of activities around..

Can recomend the Port River Cruise, great fun for a few bucks...

There is also the Gorge Wildlife park (not as good as cleland) but has different animals.

The zoo in the city is world class, ride on the popeye is a must for any adeladian from Elder Park to the Zoo.

Elder park has free entertainment most weekends

The Museum (can't remember the name) on North Terrace is great to learn about Australia and Aboriginies (Free).

The library next door usually has some exibitions on as well.

The botanical gardens is great for a picnic, feed the turtles in the lake and have a devon tea...

Waterfall gully is sweet, and a great walk upto Mount Lofty, it'll wear the kids out and it's free, other than parking.

Whispering wall will freak the kids out up williamstown, it's free and has public BBQ's...

Gorge drive through the chain of ponds is the best drive in the the area...

St kilda is ok for a walk through the mangroves and has a great playground...there is also a tram museum there i think.

A decent day out is to catch the ferry from near Normanville (sorry can't remember the port) to kangaroo island, if you come back the same day and leave the car, it's quite cheap.... and you may see whales...

Hope this helps....

Hi there

Thanks some ideas for us too - My children love Belair National Park - great adventure playground, fantastic picnic and bbq areas. We have a few great days out at St Kilda too - if you go when Summer comes (please!) then take a towel or a blanket that you can sit on to use the slides - they are all metal and get very hot, also mosquito spray and sun tan lotion - its right on the salt plains and very exposed. I have heard although I have not been that Kuipto (may be spelt wrong - near Meadows) is a , fantastic day out at this time of year, there are designated areas where you can make campfires and cook sausages/marshmellows etc. Great to go with a group and take bikes/scooters etc. In the summer my eldest attended Surflifesaving at Southport and spent every Saturday afternoon playing games and learning how to stay safe in the ocean (lots of fun!), the cost was $60 for the term - great value. We have a yearly pass for the zoo and Monarto Zoo think it cost $150 for the year - again great value!

Lindsey

Guest Nick11
Hi Everyone

Has taken us a few weeks to unpack and get settled into our new life here. Kids have settled into to school etc. Can anyone in the forum give me ideas of places to take the kids at the weekends. I have a girl 5 and a boy 8. Any ideas would be great as we really haven't done anything yet. We are in Coromandel Valley. Thanks in advance:)

I know I won't be popular saying this but my kids love the beach house at glenelg. If you go between 5 and 7 you can play on the games for $25 for 2 hours. We get one card for the two kids and they share it. Me and hubby even get to have a go!

Warrawong animal sanctuary in the hills is great and it has free admission as well. The handling sessions, snakes, lizards & creepy crawlies costs about $12 for a family ticket, but worth every cent!

Fairyland out towards Lobethal (Sp) is lovely on dry day. There's also a lovely farm out near Handorf,(sorry can't remember its name) with feeding sessions.

Belair park as mentioned is great, the fort and the tunnels a real hit with my two (6&3).

As Nick11 said the Beach house, it has an indoor play area & waterslides, bumper cars & bumper boats. It can be a pricey couple of hours. Wriggly Worms in Glenelg is also pretty good, indoor play area, slides, and bouncy castles.

Birdwood motor museum (can't remember the fees. Sorry!) is also worth a visit.

Hope you find some of these useful.

Guest Nick & Jo

Another great place is Cudlee Creek wildlife park, it's North East of the city into the hills, there's lots of wallabies and kangaroos which roam free and you wander around them and can feed them, they are all really tame. There's lots of other animals and birds to see too, but make sure you go on a mild day, when we went a few weeks ago it was cold and windy!

Can' remember how much it cost but it wasn't too dear.

Jo

On rainy, cold days in the school holidays take them to Plaster Fun House on Brighton Road.

My 5 year old boy takes great pride in painting and decorating his plaster of paris models, its so relaxing for them and yourself. I've started buying one for me to do when we go, as I find myself wanting to take over Thomas's brush. :wubclub: